Manx Grand Prix Emergency Helicopter Appeal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fogey

Reaction score
Summer time and the racing season is upon us!

Last year we had a great response from you for the Jurby Festival Helicopter Appeal Fund, so Daisy from WEMOTO has been in touch to see if we can help again. Let's do even better than last year!

You really NEED a new Tee shirt for the summer. This fantastic design, the low price and for such a worthy cause means you just can't go wrong with one of these. Those of us that bought last year know the quality of these; amazing value at £10 for UK/EU (about $10 for outside of that) plus shipping!

Here's Daisy's email.
Hi John,

It's Daisy from Wemoto again. I hope you're well. I've seen a comment on your site about the 2017 t-shirts, so I thought I'd get an email sent out with the info.

Our 2017 Jurby T-shirts are indeed here. All the profits from the sale of these £10 t-shirts go to the Manx Grand Prix Supporters' Club - we've managed to raise over £26,000 in the past two years, hopefully, this year we can raise even more. A little info on the charity and what the money is used for...
The club helps fund the MGP's life-saving helicopter ambulances on practice weeks and race days during the Manx Grand Prix. It also supports injured MGP riders and their families, as well as donating funds to help with medical equipment such as new stretchers and a new ambulance which will support all motorsports on the island.

This year's design is a bit special in that it not only celebrates the Festival of Jurby but marks the 60th anniversary of Bob McIntyre becoming the first person to lap the 37.73-mile Mountain Course on the Isle of Man at over 100mph. As per usual, they're endorsed by John McGuinness and other racing legends. We've also managed to get some pretty cool pictures of top riders with this year's design, which I've attached along with a hi-res image of the shirt itself.

We hope you like the design. Thanks again for your help to promote the cause last year.

Kind regards,
Daisy

So come on folks, do as I have done, let the winter moths out of your wallets and go here to help this cause:

Jurby2017.jpg

jurby-homepage-banner.jpg

Connor Cummings, James Hillier.jpg

Ian Hutchison.jpg

John McGuiness.jpg

Read about the Isle of Man races in the book "Stealing Speed" by Max Oatley. Apparently it was the most dangerous race of the grand prix circuit back then and into the '70s.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188946#p188946:2nb6rl2t said:
Rednaxs60 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 am[/url]":2nb6rl2t]
Read about the Isle of Man races in the book "Stealing Speed" by Max Oatley. Apparently it was the most dangerous race of the grand prix circuit back then and into the '70s.

It is still the most dangerous racing circuit, although the races have not been part of the Grand Prix (or MotoGP as it is now called) calendar for many years. In the Senior TT race, the top guys like John McGuiness (smaller guy in the bottom picture) and Ian Hutchinson (guy on his own) are now averaging over 132mph over a mountainous course of 37+ miles / lap.
There's plenty of YouTube videos to show you the dangers.

The Manx Grand Prix is a whole lot different. It caters for classic racing bikes; Manx Nortons, AJS, Gilera, Paton, MV Agusta etc. The speeds are considerably slower as you would expect, but these are not out for a Sunday run. They really are raced, and raced hard. It attracts some of the top riders, the crowds are huge and getting bigger every year. It's a chance to see bikes that you would never otherwise see or even better, hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lH_HQy3sXM

I get lost in YouTube every time I start to watch a video about the Isle of Mann races.

Fogey, that clip you linked is great! I love the sounds, unlike the sounds made when they race the electric bikes...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188965#p188965:66x53k9j said:
skiri251 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm[/url]":66x53k9j]
Thanks.
Just ordered one.

Excellent, thank you. Mine came today! Love it!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188968#p188968:174vu3hq said:
backlander » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:34 pm[/url]":174vu3hq]
I'm not the smartest puppy in the litter on foreign money exchange rate so about how much does it cost to get one sent to the good ole USA ?

Ok, the Tee itself cost £10 which includes 20% vat, which you won't have to pay. So now we are down to £8. That seems to be $10 at the moment. I would have to guess at what the shipping will be; it's not very heavy in it's padded envelope, but I don't know what postal service WEMOTO would use. Assuming Royal Mail on a First Class service, probably around another $10 but that is just a guess. You will be able to go throught the process to find out without finally buying if it's too dear.

Thanks, that's not bad. Appreciate the info, will order one.

Update: Just ordered one of these shirts and total cost including shipping to get it to Arkansas in the USA was $23.52 if that helps anyone else make a decision to buy one.

Just had a note from someone who bought one and was amazed at the quality.
When I started helping them with this appeal last year, I bought a Tee and was astonished that they could sell that quality of shirt at that price. I think this year's design is even better too.
A a note of interest. Kaye Engineering, who make perfect replicas of the 3 and 4 cylinder MV Agusta works racing bikes, are entering an astounding replica Gilera of the type used by Bob McIntosh to do his 100mph lap. The parade lap will see it with the 'dustbibn' type fairing, which is banned for actual racing. In the race it will have the usual 'dolphin' type and be ridden by Michael Dunlop, the current record holder. He won't achieve his 132mph laps on this though!

MD_Bob_Mac_Final-620.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189662#p189662:3u5m6xjs said:
backlander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm[/url]":3u5m6xjs]
I received my shirt yesterday, beautiful and high quality as you indicated.

:clapping: :thanks:

Received the 4 shirts I ordered on Wednesday. Good quality and the sizes are good. Gave the son-in-law his yesterday and was quite pleased - he read the book "stealing Speed" as well.

Cheers