Michigan revokes helmet law today.Cant wait for the insurance increase.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The governor sign the bill today.
Already seeing the stereotypical HD riders loaded with leather,but no helmet.Just dont make good sense to me.

We will see how long before our insurance goes crazy.

I am all for letting the stupid be,but you know we all pay the price eventually.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: I'm all for liberty and freedom of choice.

Having said that, even a moron knows the risk taken without a helmet. The only problem I have with it as mentioned is the insurance rates. Riders in crashes without head protection generally suffer more costly injuries and all the rest end up paying more. So, in that case, the idiot who crashes without head protection is in fact causing me financial harm by causing rates to go up. It's your right to do whatever you wish so long as you cause no harm to others. The insurance companies should sell insurance based on rider wearing a helmet or NOT wearing a helmet. If you lie about it and get whacked without a helmet after declaring that you will wear head protection then the insurance company should be off the hook for damage. I have little sympathy for people who know what makes sense but do the opposite.

As I said I'm all for liberty and God knows, we simply have too many laws encroaching on self determination so let
'em go at it but don't come crying about the certain results in the event of an accident. :head bang: :rant: :head bang: :rant:

Process of natural selection ...... nature's way of thinning out the herd and allowing only the best of the species to procreate and survive. Same thing with drugs, let 'em have at it and eventually all the weak of mind and unfit will eliminate them selves. Just like prohibition in the '20 created an environment for crime and corruption to actually make society a worse place because of the unintended consequences of a stupid ill conceived law.

That Governor should see the riders I work with in our ICU, and these guys were wearing a helmet. I recently switched from my 1/2 helmet back to my old full face.

~O~

p.s. The ratio of crotch rockets to cruisers I work with is about 9-1, and most of the guys on the rockets are in their 20s.

Omega Man":pjeumknm said:
That Governor should see the riders I work with in our ICU, and these guys were wearing a helmet. I recently switched from my 1/2 helmet back to my old full face.

~O~

p.s. The ratio of crotch rockets to cruisers I work with is about 9-1, and most of the guys on the rockets are in their 20s.

That's what I'm talking about. Was a Police Officer and rode the motorcycle units for 6 years when I was younger and scrapped up my share of the same thing. It got to the point I would just look at them in morbid fascination and go "what the hell were you thinking"? I got put down one time and had pretty good gear on for the '70, helmet, big ass Harley knee high boots, jacket the works. Still got a dose of road rash on the knees that I look at every time I shower. That's a long time to be constantly reminded of a simple basic thing.

Again I'm for liberty ..... if you don't want to wear it ..... don't .... Just accept responsibility for your own actions because you know the cages don't see you half the time and some think you can maneuver like Kenny Roberts.

Sidewinder":261t3ifa said:
:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: I'm all for liberty and freedom of choice.

bla bla

Process of natural selection ...... nature's way of thinning out the herd and allowing only the best of the species to procreate and survive.

Im for freedom of choice as well and I chose not to suppliment the hosital bill of people who are reckless and foolish - I feel that driving wihtout a helment should entitle you to 100% of you hospital bills. I know in the US you guys do not have universal medicine but you do have poilicies that cover these guys (not much different than us other than we all pay and we are all covered)

Sidewinder":2u6vwmie said:
Process of natural selection ...... nature's way of thinning out the herd and allowing only the best of the species to procreate and survive. Same thing with drugs, let 'em have at it and eventually all the weak of mind and unfit will eliminate them selves. Just like prohibition in the '20 created an environment for crime and corruption to actually make society a worse place because of the unintended consequences of a stupid ill conceived law.

:salute:

Im for freedom of choice as well and I chose not to suppliment the hosital bill of people who are reckless and foolish - I feel that driving wihtout a helment should entitle you to 100% of you hospital bills. I know in the US you guys do not have universal medicine but you do have poilicies that cover these guys (not much different than us other than we all pay and we are all covered)

Think that's pretty much what I said. :mischief:

I to am for freedom of choice. IMHO we have enough laws produced by our government to potect us from ourselves. And I'm sure your insurance companies will use this new law as an excuse to increase their profits!
Here in Wisconsin we haven't had a helmet law for as long as I can remember. I pay just over $600.00 a year for full coverage insurance on 4 bikes.
I also think its awful hipocritical for our state to mandate seatbelt use in your cage yet be allowed your freedoms when riding your motorcycle! :rant: :rant:

silverbullet":27fjwjo5 said:
I also think its awful hipocritical for our state to mandate seatbelt use in your cage yet be allowed your freedoms when riding your motorcycle! :rant: :rant:

Yeah, what's with that. Well it begs the question "cui bono" Who Profits. In the case of almost every law in the last 100 hears or so, finding the answer to this simple question gets to the real reason for a particular law.

Last I heard there were 23,000 pages in 50 volumes of Federal laws. Add to that the various laws of each of the 50 states and the codes of regulations which define how it is to be enforced and you got yourself a pretty good read. Yet I have heard Judges tell defendants time and time again that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Yes, we have ourselves a pretty good mess here, no human could possibly be expected to know all this yet they do....

With public coffers worse than empty they will turn to the public for additional revenue and more laws makes money. Just that simple. Was reading and article not long ago where some town had a traffic light camera. Of course a private company operated it for them. They shortened the duration of the yellow light by a couple of seconds and increased revenue substantially. With private prisons there's incentive to keep more people locked away ....... and on and on. I've enjoyed the past 65 years but I feel sorry for my Grandchildren.

seat belts are federally mandated, if your state will not make seat belt usage mandatory your state will not get any highway funding from the feds. if the percentage of drivers not wearing seat belts drops below a certan percentage then the feds reduce the amount of highway funding your state receives. motorcycles are such a small percentage of the total vehicles on the road that the feds pay us little attention as far as helmet usage goes. and yes i'm in michigan and will continue to wear my helmet

Omega Man":3oejjsg2 said:
Seat belts save lives, and I won't accept any argument against them.

~O~

Oh no, now they're gonna be wanting seatbelts on motorcycles, as if the helmet law wasn't bad enough for bikers. I'm pro choice when it comes to helmets and motorcycles, but, I am totally against stupidity so please wear a helmet in the right situations and enjoy the lack of helmet anytime you can safely do so.

Had and aunt that wore a helmet when walking.

She had seizures so frequently and suddenly that you never knew when she would hit the deck. In her case the helmet while walking was a good thing. But, she wore it because she agreed it was best for her not because of a government mandate.

I wear a helmet when riding because there's practically no downside to it and plenty of potential fatal results to verify that. Same with seat belts. But it's not my place to mandate anyone else do the same. I know this discussion has been going on at least since the late 50's and I did ride back in the day without one because first, they weren't readily available and were expensive. Today they are cheap with good quality and comfortable. Same with the body armor and good boots. You may ride 100,000 miles and never need it but, all it takes is that one time and it could be life altering.

Those are the reasons I wear the gear not because government has a gun to my head telling me I must. That part I don't like one bit.

Sidewinder":1rc3ea7f said:
I wear a helmet when riding because there's practically no downside to it and plenty of potential fatal results to verify that.

There are also a number of accidents/deaths that have occured directly as a result of wearing a helmet. Heads torn off at the neck by the helmet strap when the helmet catches on an immovable object and the body keeps going. Heat exhaustion due to the helmet retaining heat and causing blurred vision and/or unconsciousness. Restricted peripheral vision causing helmet wearer to miss seeing an oncoming vehicle. Visor becoming dirty or fogged up causing limited vision leading to an accident and there's more but I think you get the idea.

In my opinion it would be much better and safer to take the time to force people to learn how to be really qualified and good defensive drivers before they hit the road, with no helmets, than it is to give them a mickey mouse (almost worth nothing) license and a helmet (that will only offer them limited protection) and say to them off you go, good luck.

To me, the way the law does it today, is that they give someone 10 minutes training (current license exam) with a high powered machine gun (high powered crotch rocket) and then they hang a bullet proof vest (a helmet)on them and tell them to go be safe. Instead, if they put their efforts into teaching riders how to drive defensively so they can prevent, avoid and drive around an accident it makes a bunch more sense to me than how they do it now where they do not give riders sufficient training then place a helmet on riders to protect them after an accident.

What the heck is with that anyway? :shock: