Mini cam for helmet mounted video

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I bought one of those cheap mini cams off ebay. One of the ideas was to somehow mount it on my helmet and record rides and generally let it run in the event of an accident. (that could be a double edged sword). The thing is very small and I didn't expect much. It worked fairly okay and I posted a 10 minute ride on the tube. This was taken early in the morning and was the first time I used the camera so there's some good and bad.

These little cameras use mjpeg for capture so what it does is take one jpeg picture at a time. That's okay if your'e still but when moving rapidly it gets jumpy. I was able to stabilize it somewhat with my software and then youtube said it could correct it even more so I let it alter the video. Should have left it as I had it but what the hey....

I tried the filming with the visor up and down because the way I have it mounted it is under the visor when the visor is down. With the light the way it was in the morning there is considerable glare on the inside of the visor and the little camera actually performed better with the visor up.

I was worried about wind noise but the only thing I noticed was if exposed to too much wind it just got quiet.

Just though I would leave a post here for any thinking about a similar setup. The cameras are really cheap but try to find a stateside supplier because it's hell dealing with someone in Hong Kong when things don't work. I paid about the same as you would from a HK supplier to a company in California. Price included shipping and I had the camera on the third day after ordering it. Their price was $34. I got one on a bid on ebay for 1 cent but they charged me $15 for shipping and when the camera arrived it did not work so I'm guessing the sent me a junk one. It won't turn on but hey, lesson learned and I intend to use it to see what make them tick.

So here's a link to the video if you interested.

Your video looks as good and better than many.
The audio is very good. Nice level from the bike but narration is still at a good level with little wind noise.
Even in the East bound glare vid was pretty good.
I think you've got a winner there.

Ya I got my covert sunglasses camera a few years ago works great did you figure how to set the date? Send me a PM and I will send you the file

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

scew the camera the bike sure dose run nice ...have have it top knoch id say ....boy the the 80-81 are realy sweet in town riding the gearing is perfect ...and in sure it fine on the hiway too ...hoping to get my 80 going someday when funds are availible ....and yes i like the way the vedio and sound work bigtime ....just not as sweet as your bike ...nice bike again :mrgreen:

joedrum":gzbkyeol said:
scew the camera the bike sure dose run nice ...have have it top knoch id say ....boy the the 80-81 are realy sweet in town riding the gearing is perfect ...and in sure it fine on the hiway too ...hoping to get my 80 going someday when funds are availible ....and yes i like the way the vedio and sound work bigtime ....just not as sweet as your bike ...nice bike again :mrgreen:

Thanks Joe, I told you I was a pro several months ago when I was going through that bike. LOL

Bike came to me running but that was about it. Took the carbs apart (including pulling the push in low jets) and installed one of Randakk's fine kits after a deep cleaning. Tuned and synced them and it's been just a perfect bike ever since. (about 3,000 miles) Of course, since I had stuff apart I put everything I could get my hands on to the polishing wheel and that just brought out a frisky looking bike from a tire old girl. Adjusted the valves (they were off a bit) and put all new fluids in. Now I just enjoy it. She's about to turn 99,000 on the clock and I won't hesitate to say it's good for another 100 grand. I would not think twice about taking that bike across the country.

Coming from you I don't take it lightly but it does run and sound good. Thanks for the comment.

dan filipi":3cv5bt5f said:
Your video looks as good and better than many.
The audio is very good. Nice level from the bike but narration is still at a good level with little wind noise.
Even in the East bound glare vid was pretty good.
I think you've got a winner there.

Thank Headman, I know there are much better outfits out there but for $34 it works for me. lol

Plus I can mount it around the house and use it for theft protection, it has a sound activated setting that cause it to come on and record for 2 minutes or as long as it gets a 60 decibel ping once and a while.

I just put some Velcro on the camera and my helmet and it stays in place. That was the first try at recording with it and I was trying all sorts of things. Looks like it best without the visor down due to the glare at the bottom when the light hits just right. Sound is better with the visor down though. I'll figure it out.

ditto what dan said also the bike sound great. will be in vegas for a few days around christmas going to visit my mother and will be staying at arizona charlies as my mother lives across the street from there. again love the camera will have to get one for my rides with my cma chapter.