More MPH with less RPM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgq700

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy All ! Tomorrow i am going to pick up a 83 1100 engine for my 80 beater and my question is: if i am still not happy with what ever RPM i drop to at 75 mph verses what my 80 engine is turning(wayy tooo much for me with 120,000 miles) what would be the tallest(size) tire to fit on my stock 80 wheel and swingarm? At present,by my tach and speedo,i am at 62mph@4000rpm and would like to drop it by about 500rpm. Am i dreaming or do you think this is possible? Thx. Much!

nope not dreaming id say your going to be about 3600 or so at 70 mph .... the 80 -81 1100s have the tallest wheel set up already at 17" ... this will be slightly taller than an 83 with 16" wheel

Thank's Guy's ! I run 80 miles each way to work 4 day's a week and most of the ride, if you aren't going 75, ya get run over and my mpg really dropes off after 4,000 rpm so that is my reason for the rpm drop!

I too have a '80 that spins 4k@60 mph. I have looked into this and there is no easy solution. Most here feel that the 4 cylinder bikes are revvers and 5k does not hurt them. That being said if there was an easy way to fix this I would. My old air cooled BMW's only required a swap of the rear end.

Well, i just got back home with my 83 engine,frame and front end so i will run a compression check,change the belts and put it in my bike! I'll report the actual results in a week!! :popcorn:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114729#p114729:3mla8kir said:
tuna » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 am[/url]":3mla8kir]
I too have a '80 that spins 4k@60 mph. I have looked into this and there is no easy solution. Most here feel that the 4 cylinder bikes are revvers and 5k does not hurt them. That being said if there was an easy way to fix this I would. My old air cooled BMW's only required a swap of the rear end.
5K doesn't hurt them at all. As a matter of fact, every once in a while on the highway, I will stay in 4th gear to run the RPM up to 5200 for an hour or so to get the carbon off the pistons. That was where my '81 engine ran all the time in 5th on the highway.

BTW, be aware that with the '83 engine you are not really picking up anymore horsepower to speak of and 1st gear is going to take some more throttle twisting to get getting.

Hi Gerry, I am not looking for any power at all! After i built my intake and used one of Stovebolt Tom's carter/weber carb, i have way more power than i ever use! I just need to get rid of some rpm as my mpg drops off above 4000rpm and my old motor sounds bad running at 75 to 80 mph for 60+ miles at a time. I really want to run at 4000rpm at a little over 70 mph so i don't get run over and can get a solid 38 mpg. That only happens at my target 4000rpm or less. I have Great power from about 1700rpm with my setup so lower end grunt is good but Man, I do not like that 5000rpm and up and i cannot adapt to it! So.. as i really like my old beater, i have to make it make me happy with what ever it takes! If i have to make a 21" rear wheel.. so be it! As my goals are low i think this will do the trick...(i hope) I have a V65 magna that loves that MPH but it doesn't ride like my old wing so i will never be my transportation bike, i do not want a bigger wing either so i am going to win this deal :roll: (mabey!) We will see... i got all this stuff with a clear title for 199 dollars so i can't get hurt..

Attachments

• babyandwing 002.JPG
    babyandwing 002.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 163
Well.. i got the 83 engine in the beater! Now that it is running, I Love It! i have no idea how much RPM change it has because the 83 has no place for a tach cable and i'm not going to change the drive unit until i get a new gasket, i had enough oil on my right boot from the old seal leaking from all the blo-by of the old engine. The 83 had rust in both left cyl intake ports with rust on the valves so i ran a compression check the 2 left cyls dry were 60 and 75lbs, the 2 right cyls were 155 and 165 dry. I put 3 oz's trans fluid in each of the cyl's, put plugs in it and spun it over for about 30 seconds,pulled the plugs and spun it to clear the cyls of oil. Then ran another test. 2 left cyls were 140&155 and both right cyl's were 175 so i put it in the beater after a valve adj and belts prior to the compression test. Bolted everything up,hit the button and no start?? Turned over fine but no spark? BALLS!!!! that is all i could say after i changed everything except the pick up units(or what ever honda calls them) so back out comes the engine so i can change the pick up's from my old 80 engine(both engine's had good vacume adv units) did the swap,reinstalled the engine and it lit right up but ran like it needed a tune up? well it had new plugs so i figured it needed to have the crap ran out of it from the rust in the 2 left cyl's.. away i go.. Man, what a great gearing difference the 83 engine is for a naked beater.. 75mph and it didn't sound like it was trying to kick parts out but in netural at guessing 3to4000 rpm it was barbling like the timing is too far advanced? I wouldn't think the timing changed with the pick up's being changed as it has no adjustment? any way,i unplugged the vacume advance hose,plugged it and it runs ok, not perfect but ok. No way in hell i'm going to remove the engine again to set the timing. Tomorrow i'll check gas milage and ride her till she drop's... Mabey with a engine with cylinder pressure i can play with jetting in the carter/webber? My plugs looked good in the tired engine but it feels lean with this one :wave:

Run it a while and recheck compression hot. I bet the weak side picks up and they even out. Single carb is a lot more tunable than the stock carbs. Are you running the 80 carbs? Have you checked for vacuum leaks around all the carb connections?

That is what i'm going to do. I ride 80 miles each way to work,4 day's a week so after a week, i'll run another compression test and start playing with the carb. I run a single carb(from stovebolt Tom) and i think it may be lean with a better motor than my old one. I don't have any vacume leak's, i have been running this setup for the last 4000 miles,just wore out the orig motor. 128,ooo miles was the grand total. It still ran ok but used a quart od oil every 200 miles and sounded like it was coming apart on the freeway. Now i won't need auto club to get home(i hope) :shock: