Muffler packing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on my list this winter! I have the packing material, just have not had the time to remove the baffles. I am trying to get to sewing machine quiet! (My buddies '76 GL1000 is sewing machine quiet)

mcgovern61":1dsz29it said:
It's on my list this winter! I have the packing material, just have not had the time to remove the baffles. I am trying to get to sewing machine quiet! (My buddies '76 GL1000 is sewing machine quiet)
I want mine super quiet too. :read:

mcgovern61":slop3oqc said:

Make sure you do a tutorial!

When I pulled the rear baffles out one set they pulled out very hard because of the amount of packing.
I couldn't see how I could get them back in with as much packing but then maybe over time they get tighter
from filling up with carbon?

dan filipi":x4nzfvy7 said:
mcgovern61":x4nzfvy7 said:

When I pulled the rear baffles out one set they pulled out very hard because of the amount of packing.
I couldn't see how I could get them back in with as much packing but then maybe over time they get tighter

I'm sure I ran across a thread on another forum about this. I can't remember which one BUT I do remember he used plastic zip ties to hold the packing tight to the baffles with a comment about them melting after you run the bike a bit letting the packing expand.
I'll post a link if/when I run across it again. Should have bookmark'd it, was a good write up if memory serves.

Found it.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ip#p251919

Dan, if that link is against the rules please remove it, I tend to forget which boards allow linking to other boards an which don't.

chasrogers":2nsoq4ns said:
great idea that will work to do the job and it will melt but it will stink like melted plastic for a small amount of time then it will be good that is how they put a larger amount in most mufflers. thank you Flinx and I hope you are up for the ride this summer here in ontario Canada Chasrogers

I should be up for a ride or three this summer, sorta looking forward to it actually LOL.

Flinx":hb3zb2li said:
dan filipi":hb3zb2li said:
mcgovern61":hb3zb2li said:

I'm sure I ran across a thread on another forum about this. I can't remember which one BUT I do remember he used plastic zip ties to hold the packing tight to the baffles with a comment about them melting after you run the bike a bit letting the packing expand.
I'll post a link if/when I run across it again. Should have bookmark'd it, was a good write up if memory serves.

Found it.
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ip#p251919

Dan, if that link is against the rules please remove it, I tend to forget which boards allow linking to other boards an which don't.

Hey, that was me. It worked great.

Flinx":306r01bf said:

No rule here against linking to other forums. We're all one big happy family keeping these old beasts alive.

I was thinking some baling wire or twine could be used to compress the packing for installation. Both will deteriorate over time.

Flinx":38i3i8is said:
.....BUT I do remember he used plastic zip ties to hold the packing tight to the baffles with a comment about them melting after you run the bike a bit letting the packing expand.

I wonder if some thick rubber bands would hold strong enough for the installation?

scdmarx":c14ytkfv said:
I wonder if some thick rubber bands would hold strong enough for the installation?

probably... but would smell alot worse when they melt vs zip ties or wire :smilie_happy:

toytender01":1gdsdvmg said:
SEWING MACHINE QUIET... IF I WANTD TO RIDE A SEWING MACHINE I WOULD BUY ONE :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :party:

Too each their own... Me personally i wouldn't want a bike that quiet, But it would have its advantages, You wouldn't piss off your family & neighbors by waking them up when you come home at 2am and you would be able to hear you radio alot easier while going down the road

Mine is definitely not sewing machine quiet, but it is not as loud as either of the cruisers next door. If you want sewing machine quiet, I think you need chambers to bounce the sound around. Mine are just straight pipes with a generous helping of baffle.

When I did my teardowm this winter, I pulled the exhaust and cleaned 'er all up, paint, etc. I bought my ride new in '75 and I know for a fact that the baffles were never pulled. Man, was that a bi :sensored: ch to get them loose, but I did. One side came out pretty easy and the other was a chore. Turns out the original packing on the side that came out easy still had the "string" wrapped around the packing; the other side the string was in pieces and the packing expanded. The packing is reusable and the original "string wrapping" (kinda looks like 40lb test braided fishing line) must have been made out of krypto-unobtainium :smilie_happy: , as it survived how many years.....

Anyway, just use string around the packing to reinstall. I installed my baffles without packing just to hear what it sounds like...