My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in my Navy days, when I was working on P-3 props, the torque for the hub splot line bolts wasn't measure in ft-lbs. We tightened the nuts on the bolt to a predetermined bolt length stretch. That was quite a workout.

I cannot remember the stretch we put on those bolts, but we had two 1" or 1 1/4" wrenches welded to 3' pipes that we used to tighten them.

Man, that seems like a lifetime ago.

Good read on the torque -tension primer. Have always hated rusty nuts/bolts/studs and have tried to replace as many as possible. Reusing 32 year old nuts/studs/bolts is very frustrating at times. Now I'm going to have to step up the game and get bolts specific to items that come off a lot - have to find them first.

Was taught a long time ago to listen to the "ring" of a spanner to determine the proper or close to torque required. Whether we hit the required/specified torque was another question.

It is interesting as well that most of us without breaking any bolts/studs, over-torque/tighten nuts/bolts just by tightening with our wrenches.

Cheers

Bad enough age with wear. :heat: Really ugly type of bad, when a P O who knew less than nothing about machinery, :Awe: has had their hands in it. :rant:

Having not worked with the stock carbs much, when I pull the float out, should the float valve easily come out? The manual only states... remove the float valve, but they are not moving on the right side. That may explain why I have fuel passing out the tube.

I just want to make sure about a nomenclature... I am trying to remove the float valve.

image.php

Yep float valve = needle valve. Should be a tiny spring holding it to the float arm. With the float hing pin pulled and float removed the valve should fall out. Stuck or sticky is a problem. It will not open or close as it should.

Brian, on the '81 carbs they stuck solid. I sprayed carb cleaner in and around them and gently worked back/forth up/down until they came out.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189083#p189083:2r11ov8r said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:33 pm[/url]":2r11ov8r]
First time in a long time I can finally say.....been there....done that! :hihihi:

image.php

:smilie_happy:

So far these are the worst I've ever seen. Yep could EASILY explain carbs dripping all over the place.

I knew it was in there, but it still surprised me when I saw it.

Today was the day for changing the timing belts, so when I pulled the covers, it caught be by surprise when I saw the ignition system pickup mounted right next to the crank shaft. After working on the 1000, 1100, and early 1200 motors for so long, it just wasn't what I was accustomed to seeing.