My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189169#p189169:roc20dr0 said:
brianinpa » Today, 6:18 pm[/url]":roc20dr0]
I knew it was in there, but it still surprised me when I saw it.

Today was the day for changing the timing belts, so when I pulled the covers, it caught be by surprise when I saw the ignition system pickup mounted right next to the crank shaft. After working on the 1000, 1100, and early 1200 motors for so long, it just wasn't what I was accustomed to seeing.

Brian - is this what you are seeing:
Old Crank Pulse Sensor.jpg
the arrow points to the normal position of the Ns sensor that I have seen.

On my '85 LTD, the PO or earlier had put another Ns sensor on and affixed it to the upper securing bolt holes. Works the same. The arrow points to the Ns sensor that is installed on my bike. Here is that picture:
Timing Belt 1.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189192#p189192:xhyes4sk said:
brianinpa » 49 minutes ago[/url]":xhyes4sk]
Yeah but my motor has two. Top and bottom of the crank shaft.

I was under the impression that Honda didn't use two Ns sensors until the 1500. I would check the wiring, maybe one is not connected and is there as a spare. Checked the fiche for the 1100 and there is no indication that the 1100 had an Ns type sensor.

It's wired... also, the manual we have in the gallery is for an 84, so it's not much help, but this one is.

pulse generator.JPG

I think I also need to look for a manual for an 87...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189193#p189193:24ydcnkc said:
brianinpa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:45 pm[/url]":24ydcnkc]
I found out why the exhaust was louder than I liked...

image.php

image.php

I'm glad I hung onto the exhaust system from that donor bike.
Not sure I see the problem? Maybe it just needs a new coat of exhaust pipe paint? :smilie_happy:

Have a 1984 - 1987 OEM manual. The '84 1200 has the PGs on the rear of the engine above the clutch cover. The '85 to '87 1200s (non FI) have the PGs mounted where yours are. The '85 LTD and '86 SEi have the GR sensors on the rear of the right cylinder head. The '85 LTD and '86 SEi have an Ns sensor where your PG sensors are. The NG sensors on the LTD and SEi are used for crankshaft angular position and the Ns is for crankshaft speed.

Curious if the toothed rotor has a missing tooth similar to the 1500s. The 1500s do both crankshaft angular position and engine speed. If so then the PGs do the same as that of the 1500.

Cheers

I got home from work and there was a box from Randakk's sitting on my porch. I replaced the o-rings on the float bowl covers and installed the carb. Wow! Is that ever easy to install without the secondary air system on the bottom of it.

I started up the bike and found out that I have a GL600 and not a GL1200. Looks like I need change some plugs and look at the ignition system... Sheesh! This is a lot of work just to see if the stator is good!

Not sure it's a coil. Both cylinders on the right are running and the left side are not working, so if I plugged everything back in correctly, one coil affects the front cylinder and one coil affects the rear cylinder. :headscratch:

It was getting late when I discovered this and I was just happy to be rid of the fuel leak. Small victories... Tonight I look at the ignition.

Not that long ago I had 2 NGK Irridiums foul (carbon track, short) that had me chasing everything it wasn't. So happened to be while I was jetting the single which really screwed me up. The plugs had been used across multiple engines so were quite old but they looked near new with no carbon.

That's the same experience I had when setting up the single carb on my 81 1200, except I only have 1 cylinder firing. I thought it was everything but what it turned out to be.