My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'So I was thinking could I split the engine ie then the case would or could be split horizontally so one half off put the new finished half on, turn it over do the same or am I being Homer smart just to simplistic. '

um, no. just about all the internals bolt into or are set into one side of the engine case... but it really is not that hard to split these engines. :good:

ps
i did both mine with wet n dry and a pot scrubber by hand.... only took three weeks...... :head bang:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169786#p169786:t0xv6twd said:
aussiegold » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:38 am[/url]":t0xv6twd]
'So I was thinking could I split the engine ie then the case would or could be split horizontally so one half off put the new finished half on, turn it over do the same or am I being Homer smart just to simplistic. '

um, no. just about all the internals bolt into or are set into one side of the engine case... but it really is not that hard to split these engines. :good:

ps
i did both mine with wet n dry and a pot scrubber by hand.... only took three weeks...... :head bang:

Three weeks that's quick, mines been waiting to get this done since November :yes: as for splitting the engine, my only worry is the fitting back together, crankshaft up no problem, gearbox is what frightens me to death. And I always seem to end up with more nuts and bolts than comes out? :doh: Ah well I guess I will have to try and get some Aircraft Paint stripper over here, is there something special about it, or is it used because the block is ally?

Aircraft paint stripper is just more effective on harder coatings like Imron paints. I've read where some have had good results with it. It worked pretty good on an old truck I had years ago.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169793#p169793:2msyh84i said:
ianstaley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm[/url]":2msyh84i]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169786#p169786:2msyh84i said:
aussiegold » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:38 am[/url]":2msyh84i]

ps

Three weeks that's quick, mines been waiting to get this done since November :yes: as for splitting the engine, my only worry is the fitting back together, crankshaft up no problem, gearbox is what frightens me to death. And I always seem to end up with more nuts and bolts than comes out? :doh: Ah well I guess I will have to try and get some Aircraft Paint stripper over here, is there something special about it, or is it used because the block is ally?

have a gander at this engine rebuild video i did a while back. you will see that all the bits just slot in easy. :Egyptian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGNEngFPks

[/quote]

have a gander at this engine rebuild video i did a while back. you will see that all the bits just slot in easy. :Egyptian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGNEngFPks[/quote]

Cool I will watch that my only concern is the gehad gaskets, every one and his dog always say only use genuine Honda head gaskets. getting like hens teeth. But I have a complete strip down replacement set so I have the tools. so thanks for that info. :good: :salute:

So I have just spent about 3/4 of an hour watching the videos and bugger me if I haven't seen them before and was already subscribed. My mind is really going tits up. so as you say it looks quite easy to do, unless you live in a shyt heap that I do, no electricity in my garage only through a genny. Wife won't have it in the house so that's out and my only table at the moment is a wallpaper pasting table on 3 spare tyres and wheels I have in the great garage I have. So just as a matter of discussion has anyone made an engine "stand/holder" ? I am quite good at making stuff but a) is it a worthwhile object to have for the GL unless we have can make one that holds both halves along the engine split?

I can see I need to make a worthwhile workshop/fitters table to do the rebuild which I think we all know by now there are no short cuts in doing a rebuild that has to go through the whole bike. So in for a penny in for a pound, it isn't going to get finished this year, awe crap! :Awe: :Awe: :rant:

I wouldn't split the case unless you really need to Ian ( internal fault etc). I love the quality of your build but I do think that you could be creating more issues by splitting the case unneccessarily.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169883#p169883:bbxhvt1k said:
Ansimp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 pm[/url]":bbxhvt1k]
I wouldn't split the case unless you really need to Ian ( internal fault etc). I love the quality of your build but I do think that you could be creating more issues by splitting the case unneccessarily.

Well I would under normal circumstances fully agree with you and your advice. there is always a but and this has one too. The last time I rode the bike in working order was over 15 years ago. As I have a small fortune (for me) invested in her up to now and I haven't been mean with the money either, I think that I have to look inside, at least the rings will be in all probability be stuck in the groves, oil pump? water pump? what is the condition of the valves, the guide seals have to be replaced in my opinion, I have those already. You know the old saying use it or loose it.

I didn't buy her new so I have no idea who had her or how she had been used and or abused. If you see my carburettor choice, two twin choke 40 IDE's she will make a bit more power than standard more power means more air and these carbs can pass a LOT of air.

Can you think in my shoes so I spend all this money make a minimum effort on the motor then get it all back together the bang 20 miles down the road. Too much time and money gone into the honey pot already, so how much more will it be? My daughter wants this bike when I am gone and I don't want to leave her a lemon in my will. Strange how my daughter is so proud of her ol man. I feel the same, neither of us have made great life choices but we live with them, so when I am gone, she will have a big part of me in the bike, and i know she will look after it like she does her kids.

So I know I am creating some issues in opening the proverbial can of worms, but either way I might just regret not doing it before that motor goes back into the frame. Also for once in my life I can miss the money when done bit by bit, there is only Lis my wife and my dog here, so as I do it bit by bit it doesn't stretch my finances too much. At least when it is done, I can look at her and fell Oh so good when someone says "nice bike where did you get it" and I reply , "I built her myself from the smallest screw to the biggest part, everything".

I can see it in my mind when she is on the road and I take her to our Bikers Caffee near to here (on a Thursday night in the summer 400 bikes there) and as I ride in everyone is gona look at my bike. :rocks: :yahoo:

Hope so. I got a paint stripper today she is 38dd, just joking, so I bought 5L of Synstryp from Starchem. so that is going to get sloshed on to the engine and see how that comes out. I think I will try and get the engine over to my house as this stuff will burn a hole in your hand very quickly, quicker than a dollar in a woman's hand so that is quick. :yes:

So I will make some before and after shots just to give an idea how good it is.

:BigGrin:

So some time ago, maybe a year before I brought the bike over to the UK I had already bought a full engine gasket kit, but I read on her somewhere or on our sister site NGW and Randaks about Cylinder head gaskets and told use OEM ones instead. So I just ordered a pair of em off Saber Cycle to collect when I visit the family in May. They have a real nice looking Fork brace too. So any info on the company good or bad would be appreciated. :hi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169906#p169906:1tmqiq7j said:
ianstaley » Today, 8:56 am[/url]":1tmqiq7j]
Hope so. I got a paint stripper today she is 38dd, just joking, so I bought 5L of Synstryp from Starchem. so that is going to get sloshed on to the engine and see how that comes out. I think I will try and get the engine over to my house as this stuff will burn a hole in your hand very quickly, quicker than a dollar in a woman's hand so that is quick. :yes:

So I will make some before and after shots just to give an idea how good it is.

:smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169894#p169894:3g43n3ve said:
joedrum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 pm[/url]":3g43n3ve]
yep sounds great to me ...but a lot about the motor can be figured out with just head removal and clean up .....

+1 on just the head removal and wind the engine over for stuck rings etc, you can always go deeper if you need. Joe has resurrected engines that I would of thrown on the scap heap by careful hand cleaning/sanding of bores etc :yes:

The reason I am "thinking" about a deep rebuild, is just that right now. I have a friend and he has his own business as a mechanic. Now I trust this dude with my V10 Twin turbo Touareg, he is also a biker, he is going to help me shift the engine from the garage to my house for cleaning, I can't paint over crap ie oily dirt and crud off the roads so I need to get the block down to metal or aluminium. once that is done, then I take off the heads. At this point we will be making an informed choice on what to do further. Once the heads are off I can asses any damage to the bores, valves ETC. But I can't see the bearings, big or small end or mains, getting off the clutch basket will help a lot as I have a complete new clutch to go in. The Dutch have a saying which is very true in Dutch Meten is Weten or translated "measured is knowledge" or another way is certainty is looking.

If we are all honest I have an itch to take a look, measure and clean all the journals, how are the seals throughout the engine, some are going to be suspect surely? and at least doing all this now has to be money saving in the log run, spares are getting more difficult to find every day, seals are becoming a problem and they haven't moved or been lubricated in over 15 tears. If you look back I said that after draining the oil it was remarkably clean, maybe because all the sediment has settled into the crank case.
but thanks for the info and the thought's guys.

Now I am looking down the line a little here, but I might just bite the bullet and get a electronic ignition I think the C5 is according to general census is the one to get, but will I need to get a timing wheel? if so what about the one Randak sells. Any info will be readily absorbed.

Latest posts