My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was needing a new pump anyway, and considering you're not running the stock carbs, I'd get an electric with 4-5 lbs pressure. I think that's a better match for single carbs and the electric able to pump up without cranking is a big plus.

As for the forks, I would use atf because I don't think there's anything gained by spending more $ for "fork fluid" unless you wanted to firm it up with thicker fluid like 20 wt.

The 84 Prelude fuel pumps installed on my 1200's work great, :yahoo: as well as on an 1100 or two out there. :hihihi: There's a few pumps out there that will work, :headscratch: but this one works great, fits into place well, hoses hook up the same way. :good:

3 gents with an answer why is this place sooo good to Sunday mechanics like me. n to earch for the Honda pump. must be thousands, I will tell you the cost over here in the UK. back soon.

Ignor last entry I got one, external and for the GL1100 - 1200

Oh and there are still new mechanical pumps available for between £80 and £170 depending where you buy it.

There is a diaphragm from an early GM pump that can be modded into your pump if I remember rightly. Don't know if they are still available.

The ones i have are for carb models. :good: Beck/Arnley 1520775 are the pump's that i bought :yes: There's a write up on this site about this & other pumps that will work, my info is for 1200 pump alternative's :headscratch:

Hi guys, I need to bend over so you can all kick me in the butt. Like a dummy :head bang: , I read somewhere that the steel ring that goes into the forks first was discontinued so wasn't needed any more, there were non supplied in my seal kit, two seals and two dust covers and some red lubricant. Bang in they go, so this morning I am outside looking through my set of spare parts draws in my shop and ooh what did I find two new steel rings, I must have bought these months ago and just forgot. :doh:

So now I am in big smelly stuff as I have to get the old (new) seals out. So I am thinking that I have another set of dust seals, plus the steel ring, maybe just maybe there was another set of seals, yup how lucky can you get :BigGrin: . So it took me wow ten minutes to get the old (new) seals out, ring in, fork rebuilt all tight and the seals go in like a dream, both done in under ten minutes. Breath a big sigh of relief :yes: that my "forgetfulness" always buy in two's for once has paid off.

Today I took the clutch out, was surprised how easy the basket came out. Cleaned it up with degreaser, my 'B' plate is in great condition, certainly no damage as I have seen on here, I will post a picture at the end. The friction plates look okay too, but I have bought a new friction plate kit from EBC, but just checking it out and the friction plates are bigger. I have just checked the info on the box they are EBC CK 1221 when I do a search it says it is for a GL1000 K1. So I have taken some pictures of the plates. (under) and the darker of the two are the original plates, You can see that the plates put side by side the new on is bigger, you can also see the difference when on the basket pulled tight to show the clearance.

The middle 'B' plate is in great condition, no wear to even speak off, but I have bought two new plates to replace that one. is it a good idea to change it anyway, I can always keep it just in case? :yes:

Two friction plates..
clutch5.jpg

Original plate..
clutch4.jpg

New plate.
clutch1.jpg

New plate on basket..
clutch3.jpg

Both plates together, new one on bottom ...
clutch2.jpg

There is quite a difference in size maybe 2 or 3 mm. Can we comment on this, has anyone had this before ?

Ian :laptop:

The new plate is larger by about 3mils , the centres seem to be the same, if you look at the bottom picture you can see the two plates the top one is the original and the bottom one is the new one.
If you look at the 'tags' the new one is quite a bit larger.

It shouldn't be a problem if it fits the basket. If not you may have a clutch kit for a 1200 which I've read has a bit bigger basket .