My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so all the plates are on, but I wonder if any one noticed but the friction plate material (cork I think) on the OEM the cork is at an angle and the new stuff is just straight. take a look at the pics just above and you can see the difference. I know I will have to soak the new plates in oil for about 24 hours(Randak) but I wont be doing that just yet, need to paint the Engine case and I am still juggling with the colour, so that will be a surprise. :cool:

Friction materials for brakes and clutches have been improved over the years. I expect the new plates will bind up smoother and hold tighter.

Metallurgy has also gotten much better for the most part. :headscratch: Big plus with the wings, made of the best available products, with people doing a good job, & proud of their work. :yes: Their products still performing so well after so many years is a tribute to a job well done! :good:

Yesterday I got my Radiator back from the Radiator service my Daughter dropped it off at last Monday. Within 3 days it was back, a re-core was all that was needed, at £150.00 including Postage and for want of another word sales tax. So I think that was a good deal.

It is getting there, slowly but surely, I have decided that I will do the engine casings in Black Cherry. to match the side panels, I also got a Honda (Norton) stencil that I had made, so I have wet sanded all the panels back and will with a bit of luck re-spray them in undercoat. I have a 1/2 litre of paint coming. I hope I have enough.

Okay some pics.

This is the ghost Logo I will be working on.
hondalogo1.jpg

And this is the final colour of the Panels and the engine cases.
Interference Cherry Black2heather.jpg

The cylinder heads and will be in the old English White and the front timing belt covers are chrome, the rocker covers are polished.
:BigGrin:

You'll need a pair of sun glasses to look at it when it's finished if you keep on :Doh2: Beautiful work as always :smilie_happy:

I have just read another thread that a guy is rebuilding, and he is using pinstripes around the faux tank covers. what advice do you have for me on this, do you think I should have them ? . I still havent decided on the mud guards, I like chrome, but I like the GL1100 painted slab sided front guard Appreciate it gurus. :yes:

A lot of designs can be added with pinstriping. For most of us it's easiest done with the tape. Regardless of tape or brush on striping that will be higher (raised) than the color coat. To smooth it over and protect it from damage you'll need several more layers of clear over the entire panel. Try some tape on a spare part and see if that's what you like. If so then select the color that contrasts in the way you like it. I personally prefer minimal striping if any.

V, I have to agree with you that striping should be minimal if at all, I may yet do a graphic on the side panels, I have been looking at some Samurai graphics that might look good. The biggest problem with our bikes is no real tank to do work on. The normal Kawasaki tank is quite expensive, even used and abused one's cost quite a bit over here, so I might go looking for a Valkyrie tanks. A friend of mine has just bought himself a Val and it is a beautiful bike. The tank is massive, so that might be the way to go. Time enough.

The larger Vulcan tanks I think can be adapted too. The old cb 750 tanks had almost the same size and shape as our faux tanks. Just to give you a few more options to consider.

That is a great color!! I like minimal pin striping. Just enough to offset the colors nicely. Too much fancy striping and it can get out of hand.

Just found this on JC Whitney a K&N HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTERS
SKU #: JCW-904902 for the gl1000 anyone fitted one of these if so is oit a straight swap out or do I need an adapter?

Can't answer that one. :nea: But Randakk's conversion to auto oil filters, is on all three of my 1200's :yes: & they work great! :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172095#p172095:a25q00yi said:
ianstaley » 35 minutes ago[/url]":a25q00yi]
Just found this on JC Whitney a K&N HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTERS
SKU #: JCW-904902 for the gl1000 anyone fitted one of these if so is oit a straight swap out or do I need an adapter?
I've never used them but it looks right. Kind of expensive though. I'm used to paying less than $5 each at Walmart.
https://www.jcwhitney.com/p2017610/sku-376020.jcwx

Ken & Norm make great air cleaners, that you clean & reuse. :good: On all four bike's, & both car's, in the garage. :yes: Imagine that their oil filters work well, but like Dan said, awful pricey for an oil filter. :roll:

I have tried always to use K&N filters well Air filters on my cars, only had the bike for a year before I took it off the road, just for a short time 15 years,and now I have the Webber IDF's to fit I will have to go with Randaks ideas on filters for those carbs.

Right now I am seriously looking into a full engine rebuild I have the gaskets and the will. Also it will make the engine a lot easier to lift onto a engine cradle without the cylinder heads on. So either tomorrow or Thursday I will take them off to look into the guts a bit. How the heads look will dictate further rebuilding or not. What is a "biatch" is the way the cases split. The Beemer also splits verticality but at least the heads and cylinders are removable. To split the case on this is a pone way street do it or don't, there isn't a half way measure. Anyway I am off to bed lots to do in the morning, on a brighter note, the tyres are fitted to my nice shiny wheels so yet another step towards the end line. I will post a few pics later.

see you all in print. Time for :lazy: :hihihi: