My Neighbor called the Shefiff on me today!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still kinda wondering why, but probably our interactions have been leading up to it for years.

They have never complained about me because I do nothing for them to complain about - except complain about them.

They are from Laos. They got a big family and you can't tell who's coming or going. Which in itself isn't bad or good. I like people. What I don't like are inconsiderate people. I am sure some of it is cultural, but still...

So, I have complained about nicely in the beginning, and a bit more direct lately:

their dogs barking in the middle of the nite. they have had 6 or 7 to my 1.
their daughters car alarm going off multiple times at 5am
their chopping of meat at 10+ at nite with the kit. door open next to my/our bedroom
car stereos i.e. boom cars
house stereos at 11 at nite.
probably some other stuff.....

their backyard and ours are kinda coraled by our houses. It is like they are in the next room.

Today, I was tryin to be neighborly and let them know i was going to have some guys trim the lelandi cypress I planted as a barrier. Fine. The next thing I know my neighbor is telling my guy to cut the trees on his side of the fence. The landscape guy comes to me and says another $50 please. In hindsight I should have paid to have it all done but I am a poor carpenter/didn't want to do it/don't like to spend $ on tree trimming etc., but these guys were next door working and so I asked what they would charge. Things kinda got convoluted and outahand at this point and I got caught up in it. So I go to my neighbor and ask what's going on does he want to pay to have it done i.e. dont go telling people that I hire to do work that I am going to pay for. Bad idea. He didn't get it. I was in his backyard at this point and a Sister or Sister in law steps into it. This was after the Neighbor in not so good english and motioning with his hand in a sawing motion,tells me instead of me trimming them he'll just cut them off at the bottom from his side of the fence. Huh? I kinda wanted to laugh at this point. but instead I say "do you want to go to jail?"

So I tell the sister in law to go back inside the house. He didn't like that of course. She says I'm calling 911. I say go right ahead.

Meanwhile I am trying to fix/solve my overheating GL1100 issue and I get pulled away - If the damn bike was running I would have been out ridin it and missed the whole show...!

So 5/10 min. later the sheriff shows up. We live in an unincorporated area between Seattle and Renton. It is in the city but not really. We get the sheriff. Anyway

I meet the Sheriff and try to explain. He says its my neighborly duty to trim the trees on both sides of the fence. I say yes but I don't like people doing what he just did which was to tell the landscapers to do work I am going to pay for without coming to me first. Besides I tell him I am not made of $$.... Big Inconsiderate!(cultural and or ignorance). I was a little pissed at the landscaper too for starting to do it before I said ok. In hindsight he was workin it too. I didn't want to make it stink anymore than it already was so I said ok I'll pay. I was too busy thinkin about my neighbors reaction. the landscaper made out ok...

Sheriff goes over to neighbor after talking to me. Comes out and its obvious he got an earfull. I am an Asshat plain and simple for complaining. I am the bad guy for complaining - not for doing anything to complain about. So I give a few more explanations to the sheriff about my issues i.e. chopping meat late at nite. Not proper chopping - we are talking hammering. Sounds petty I know - you would have to have been there kinda thing. It is the one thing he came back with - I complain about their cooking. Huh? He says call 911 next time. I say I don't like calling 911 for pety shit. All I did when that was goin on was tell the guy "close the door I am sleeping there" pointing to my bedroom. He gets pissed of course and slams the door. WTF? If somebody told me that and I am unaware I would say sorry/apologize and do it ....

I (think) am very considerate toward my neighbors, but I take issue when they aren't with me. This probably translates as racism in their minds. Not. I am married to an indigenous chilean lady.
Yeah, I should have bucked up and got a quote to do the whole mary ann. I probably subconsciously wanted to piss them off though....not cutting their side.

Bottom line I need more space, different neighbors and a different neighborhood! I'd go tomorrow but prices are way down, we have an old dog, I can't retire yet, we're going to move to Chile then (yes I am taking at least one wing). Its not just these guys just about every neighbor does something not neighborly imho now and then. lI am going to try and let roll off, mostly for the wife, but it is going to be hard. I work in a lot of nice neighborhoods and my sense is overall they are much more considerate. Not perfect I know. They can get pretty nasty too but they do it with the help of Lawyers and Lawsuits..

I guess I'll do what the Sheriff says and call 911. I hope it doesn't happen. that may equalize things or escalate them...

Tell it like it is...

thanks

I've had 3 visits by Johnny Law here courtesy of my holier than though idiot neighbor. Complaining my grass is too high. I work rotating shifts and I have better things to do than cut grass. He on the other hand is on SSI and living with his Momma. He doesn't cut his lawn twice a month. Or once a week. Weather permitting he's running his mower every day. Usually when I'm trying to sleep. Since my little chats with the lawman I wait until my grass is at least 8" high then blow my clippings as far into his yard as they'll go. I'm now having my fun with this feud here.

Since my little chats with the lawman I wait until my grass is at least 8" high then blow my clippings as far into his yard as they'll go. I'm now having my fun with this feud here.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I should have unloaded on the Sheriff about my issues, but like the nice guy I am I was trying to explain the problem for that day......not the last 6/7 years which is what I reckon they did..

I guess i stressed them out a little.....

Weather permitting he's running his mower every day
that' my neighbor too.

I cut my grass when I get around to it....

ts why i livw in the sticks..... :cheeky: id rather have a tree for a neighbor than a human

I will have more space next time!! I can't wait.
I don't like the winter here much after almost 30 yrs, but I am glad for one thing - most of my neighbors stay inside then. :salute: Thank God for motorcycle projects.

Fortunately our neighbord have been okay, we even have a couple that go around to let everyone know they'll be having a party beforehand to apologize for noise and all the cars.
Can't pick your neighbors but we got pretty lucky.
80% are homeowners which makes a big difference.

we even have a couple that go around to let everyone know they'll be having a party beforehand to apologize for noise and all the cars.

that is the neighborly thing to do.

I had an elderly lady living next door who never made a peep. She stayed in her house till a month before she died. She was 93. A 20 something plumber with a 1yr old pitbull/mastiff/am. bulldog or something is moving in there now. God help me...

I think a lot of the issue is what people consider or don't common courtesy is.

I know a lot of it is cultural. In general we have more space here. In Asia and S. America most people in cities live on the other side of a wall so they are used to a little noise/crap from their neighbors. Can you say Japan. That is the immigrant side of things. The locals kinda look at it like it is my right to play my music loud etc whenever I feel like it.

Honestly, I've lived in apartments that were quieter. I might have to put up some sound board - or how about a concrete wall like they do on the side of the freeway. how would that look?

I have one neighbor that essentially surrounded himself with a fence and foliage and you rarely see him. He's cool.

Oh Lawd....don't git me stahted on naybers.... :sensored: :rant: :sensored: :rant:

Neighbors are like dead fish........after 1 day they stink.............I live in the country.........AND LOVE IT

Well, it sounds like you need a solution, first off, Pony, I am a Carpenter too, Non Union and Union in my past, due to bad knee's I just take on finish work now and some painting projects, put it this way I've had three hernia surgeries from working heavy building construction, Highrise etc. don't want #4.. Do you have any biker friends around you? If you do, I have about 20 of them come over and have a few beers in the back yard...Make sure they see you and hear you...Maybe they will think twice about messing with you..If that doesn't work, have your wife put some War paint on your face put some shorts on and nothing else, get some sage, and go into the back yard and sit with your legs crossed and burn your sage and hum a song over and over stare at their house for and hour or so but make sure they know your there.. That will freakem out... My neighbor's are all really nice to me... My only problem with anyone of them is this, they are always asking me to help them with something or they always want to borrow my tools or latters etc... I don't have a bad neighbor..In KC or in Sa.. You guy's cut your yards... :smilie_happy:

I hate cutting grass! Who was the fool that decided planting a crop that needs harvested every week that you don't eat was a good idea?

slabghost":3mukn6pd said:
I hate cutting grass! Who was the fool that decided planting a crop that needs harvested every week that you don't eat was a good idea?
Harvest.....ha ha :smilie_happy: Slabghost your funny...Harvest... :smilie_happy:

L. Beave.

you a funny guy! I can laugh a little about it today.

I got the sheriff called on me! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

First time for everything. I've never called the sheriff or police on a neighbor. A few misc. cretins but that's it.

Never been arrested that was my fault.... :smilie_happy: seriously. I've come close mind you.....

I am going to try and take the high road, too bad I quit smoking the wacky tobacky...

I hate cutting grass too. I think I skip it next house.........we'll have cactus and a rock garden.

Living in the sticks does have it's advantages....I can shoot my neighbors (coyotes, possums and skunks :smilie_happy: ) if they bother me!