My opinion's (and quirks) so far of my single carb mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
My last ride (this weekend in the MPG thread) told me a lot about what to expect under certain conditions.

Riding out in dryer weather it ran beautiful, no complaints.
Take off nice and smooth, no complaints from the engine when lugging it down low in RPM with decent acceleration from 1500 rpm and up in high gear.
Cruising, the exhaust tone is different, more pleasing to listen to.
It seems to hold a steady speed easier when coming up to gradual up hills in the freeway, less having to give a bit more twist of the throttle to maintain speed.

Bike sat out in the parking lot all night in the moist cool air of Ventura.

Morning start took a 1/2 dozen twists of the grip to pump gas down the throat.
Once started it held 2500 rpm steady where I set the throttle lock.
Put on helmet gloves and jacket, temp at mid 50's.

Riding out at first for the first 10 minutes or so, idle would "hang" up around 1500 then drop to steady idle.
There was some marathon runners stopping traffic so I shut it off waiting.
Once restarted the idle hang was still there.
Out of the blue, that hanging stopped and return to idle was back to normal.

I'm not sure what to think about this.
Linkage was definately not hanging up.
Possibly puddled gas in the plenum? (That was slabghost's thought)
It ran good otherwise though it did stumble a few times (bog) seemingly when the engine was coldest just at the start of the thick white line in coolant temp.

Ride out rest of the way home was good.
Twisties are a different experience now with the added torque down low, it's much easier to run the climbing roads and coming out of the tight 25 mpg curves into straightaways. I like it. Makes riding the bike easier.
Rpm's can run lower all the time. I think it was running around 2-3500 rpm most of the time and keep a good pace in change of speeds quick up and down.

The hang in drop back to idle came on once again but went away quickly.
Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it other than the coolant temp was low.

All in all I'm happy so far.
Like I said before, cold starts suck without a choke but after that initial warm up, starts were fine after 10-15 minute stops.

Does it beat the stock rack?
That's hard to say because in my experience in having trouble with the stock carbs, I would say yes.
Both have their faults in different areas.
I have felt the same cold engine stumbles from the stock rack.
I've also had the stock rack perform amazing!
I really like the ease of maintenance and upkeep of the single.

I guess to sump up my post, it depends on what your after.
Keeping mine stock is of no concern to me.
I like the simplicity.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103246#p103246:wt9kujk4 said:
dan filipi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:16 am[/url]":wt9kujk4]
Take off nice and smooth, no complaints from the engine when lugging it down low in RPM with decent acceleration from 1500 rpm and up in high gear.

It seems to hold a steady speed easier when coming up to gradual up hills in the freeway, less having to give a bit more twist of the throttle to

Twisties are a different experience now with the added torque down low, it's much easier to run the climbing roads and coming out of the tight 25 mpg curves into straightaways. I like it. Makes riding the bike easier.
Rpm's can run lower all the time. I think it was running around 2-3500 rpm most of the time and keep a good pace in change of speeds quick up and down.

I like the simplicity.

Can't argue with simplicity :good:

I was wondering how much of your ride experience can be put down to the C5 ignition though?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103247#p103247:2wou7eh6 said:
Ansimp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm[/url]":2wou7eh6]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103246#p103246:2wou7eh6 said:
dan filipi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:16 am[/url]":2wou7eh6]

It seems to hold a steady speed easier when coming up to gradual up hills in the freeway, less having to give a bit more twist of the throttle to

I like the simplicity.

Can't argue with simplicity :good:

I was wondering how much of your ride experience can be put down to the C5 ignition though?

I've been wondering the same thing.
I'm thinking to put the 1000 points set on as a test.

You would have to change your coil pack etc, but in the interest of science?