My son just brought hoame a 74 honda cb750

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures?????????

This was mine in 79-80. I aquired it from a guy that owed me money. I rode it for awhile and sold it. I remember it was pretty good ol'bike.
But it was long before the internet in every household.

1978 CB 750
1978cb750.jpg

Omega Man":3rvvkiit said:
I love the handle bars.

~O~

HAHA!
Came to me that way. The guy extended the wireing to reach farther. It kept breaking clutch cables for some reason though.
I put on shorter rear shocks and had a 16" harley rim laced to the rear hub. I think it felt better.

Man, that 750 is the bike I wanted when all I could talk my folks into was a 360!

I hope he's coming on the ride to Hansen Dam next week.

I have seen a CB750 forum, just never saved the link. Give Mr Google a search.

That's why I asked, I knew someone would have some info. I don't think he'll have it ready to ride by next weekend. I'll Post some pics.
dan filipi":38rrt8aw said:
slabghost":38rrt8aw said:

That's the one!

This is what I love about the internet and forums like this, people helping each other!

Here's some pics. I love the kickstand :music: The tanks off to be cleaned and coated.

Attachments

• 100_2247.jpg
    100_2247.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2250.jpg
    100_2250.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 126
when he starts the '74 up with those pipes its gonna scare you wing :grin: to be honest i didn't like the early 750 hondas, never wanted one. i was looking at 550 honda's until i got mine well until i was given mine ( it was a gift from a classmate / lab partner in engineering school, he said he never would have gotten as good of grades as he did without me )

[

He has got it running and the pipes were not as loud as I thought. They have some kind of packing in them He's planning on getting a 4 into 1 heeader. He wants to turn it into a cafe racer style bikeThequote="detdrbuzzard"]when he starts the '74 up with those pipes its gonna scare you wing :grin: to be honest i didn't like the early 750 hondas, never wanted one. i was looking at 550 honda's until i got mine well until i was given mine ( it was a gift from a classmate / lab partner in engineering school, he said he never would have gotten as good of grades as he did without me )[/quote]

stratocat":nf9ureq4 said:
Can anyone reccomend a user group for the early Honda cb750's. My son just bought a 1974 cb750. We could use a good site like this one for that model bike.

That bike and the bug in the background capture a moment in time without words. Looks great.

stratocat":1vh3jtci said:
That's why I asked, I knew someone would have some info. I don't think he'll have it ready to ride by next weekend. I'll Post some pics.
dan filipi":1vh3jtci said:
slabghost":1vh3jtci said:

That's the one!

This is what I love about the internet and forums like this, people helping each other!
I can understand the desire to turn it into a Cafe Racer but I think it would be awesome to keep it like it is. There are very few 70's style choppers around these days.

Andyb":3jokgngk said:
I can understand the desire to turn it into a Cafe Racer but I think it would be awesome to keep it like it is. There are very few 70's style choppers around these days.

In that era most 750's ended up with z-bars, t-bars and rear sets. And 4 into1's were hot snot.

I remember seeing a lot of early 750 cases welded. When guys would get on it from stop light to stop light, eventually they'd snap the chain and bust a chunk out of the case. These bikes had some power, dude! A few years into this and Honda put that rubber bushing in the rear hub to absorb the shock. I don't remember what year they started, but the 78 model in my picture had the rubber in the hub.

No way, that seat has got to go. If it were mine i'd put it back to the original, but it's my son's project. The cafe style seems to be becomming quite popular for these early Honda CB's.
scdmarx":ibsws3hx said:
Andyb":ibsws3hx said:

In that era most 750's ended up with z-bars, t-bars and rear sets. And 4 into1's were hot snot.

I remember seeing a lot of early 750 cases welded. When guys would get on it from stop light to stop light, eventually they'd snap the chain and bust a chunk out of the case. These bikes had some power, dude! A few years into this and Honda put that rubber bushing in the rear hub to absorb the shock. I don't remember what year they started, but the 78 model in my picture had the rubber in the hub.

stratocat":2bh960ku said:
No way, that seat has got to go. If it were mine i'd put it back to the original, but it's my son's project. The cafe style seems to be becomming quite popular for these early Honda CB's.
scdmarx":2bh960ku said:
Andyb":2bh960ku said:

Well, he should at least keep that seat around. Those will come back in style eventually :grin:

I have a fondness for the mid-'70s 750s. They were great, dependable rides. I only owned one, but a lot of my buds back then had them. Mine was an automatic, and I had a good friend that had a '74 that had been "hopped up" somehow. Couldn't keep a chain on it. It would stretch the chain like a rubber band, that thing had so much torque. I don't know how many chains I put on that thing, but it certainly would screeeeeam! It was also extreeeeeeemly LOUD! He finally had me weld up some baffles for the megaphone exhaust. It just got annoying after a few miles. :smilie_happy:
Your son has made a good choice, imo. :good: