New ebay starter (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make sure all important contact is via the ebay message service, not via private email or chit chat

ebay can look at it after if you have to pursue or go thru the ebay resolution center, note, you must do this within 45 days

i just went thru this with a deadbeat seller, who didn't even respond to those messages, sent 6 all total

in the end, ebay ruled in my favor and gave me a refund

scdmarx":1hmh1h08 said:
I just hauled off and ordered what he listed.

i find it can be quite tricky getting used wing parts, lotsa folks end up with parts and don't necessarily know what they are selling

i was looking at an add that ran for some time claiming forward controls with forward floorboards (engine guard mount), it was only when i asked a few times specifically about that, that they changed their add

alota times you can tell just by reading the add that the seller doesn't have a clue

Here is the listing on ebay.
I just counted the splines on my old gear and I count 31.
I'm inclined to agree with Dan on this one. He sent me the wrong part because he don't know any better. He don't want to admit that, but it's ok, I don't need to argue with him. I need my money back, and want to let others here with similar motorcycles know what happened.
I have no idea about the quality of the part because I never got to try it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Starter-Gol ... 072wt_1193

If you dont get satisfaction open an "item not as described" case right away he lists it as a 1981 GL1100 starter and it does not fit - pretty hard to argue the point - I think you will see he will resolve the problem asap

1060dsl":26y7r1lv said:
If you dont get satisfaction open an "item not as described" case right away he lists it as a 1981 GL1100 starter and it does not fit - pretty hard to argue the point
then he gives the buyer the gears :head bang: :evil: :Doh2:

82a":21lksi5j said:
1060dsl":21lksi5j said:
If you dont get satisfaction open an "item not as described" case right away he lists it as a 1981 GL1100 starter and it does not fit - pretty hard to argue the point
then he gives the buyer the gears :head bang: :evil: :Doh2:

I thought sellers couldn't do that to buyers anymore?

My feedback is 100%, but I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it if he gave me a red mark. It's not like I have a business there or anything. In fact, I'd starve as a salesman. I can't sell seal blubber to Eskimos.

i meant this part
In pretty short order it became obvious to me that I wasn't gonna be right and he wasn't gonna be wrong. I can't argue with somebody who's better rehearsed, when I'm standing here holding the correct part in my hand for the wrong vehicle.

No they cant do that if you open a "item not as described case" there is very little to no chance you can lose - his add said it was for a 1981 GL1100 and it does not fit, not much wiggle room for him there. Once you win they take the money from him and refund it to you.

He is a top rated seller and losing a dispute or a bad review is costly to him.

UPDATE:

I printed the return shipping label that was emailed to me from the seller on Monday, 7-30-12 after phone contact. I dropped the item off at the UPS store on 7-31-12. UPS tracking showed delivery on 8-6-12. PayPal showed a refund on 8-7-12. Today, 8-8-12 the funds are available in my account.

So the problem was the seller just don't know what he's selling. And as far as I can tell from this one experience, and phone contact, that seems to be the way he operates. Que' serah serah.

So I found a listing from another seller. Appears to be the same starter, if just looking at the picture says anything. Same price. I contact this seller by phone. He pulls one off the shelf and counts the teeth on the gear. 13 teeth is the same as I got. So....I'll give this one a shot and see what happens.

Heck, if they were willing to at least get one and check it for you, that's a good thing! That means they at least have one right where they are, and they don't have to get one from somewhere else. Looks like they sell quite a few of them, too, so they prolly know what they're doing. :good:

scdmarx":2shx06y9 said:
UPDATE:

I printed the return shipping label that was emailed to me from the seller on Monday, 7-30-12 after phone contact. I dropped the item off at the UPS store on 7-31-12. UPS tracking showed delivery on 8-6-12. PayPal showed a refund on 8-7-12. Today, 8-8-12 the funds are available in my account.

So the problem was the seller just don't know what he's selling. And as far as I can tell from this one experience, and phone contact, that seems to be the way he operates. Que' serah serah.

So I found a listing from another seller. Appears to be the same starter, if just looking at the picture says anything. Same price. I contact this seller by phone. He pulls one off the shelf and counts the teeth on the gear. 13 teeth is the same as I got. So....I'll give this one a shot and see what happens.

Good luck with the new one and hats off to the seller for refunding your money so quickly !

I found a placeon ebay that is very good I have gotten thing from there name is woodbinecyclesalvage I don't know if anyone knows them there special is goldwings I plan on buying a lot more from them

They only have a few Goldwing Items that I see - they say no return on electrical items and no guarantee they work when you buy them. The rotors are described as being 4.8mm but no mention of being straight (not warped) his negative feedback talks about problems with returns. but Hey whats a little wobble btwn friends.

yea i noticed that about the rotors did not know about the elect. but they do say drop them a line and ask questions but I have seen radiators and carb ect. I have tryed others but everytime I ask they say they don't have it but yet they advertise they do go figure.

Another Update:

New starter came from ebay:

Of course, the first thing I check is the gear. Matching it up with the original gear, the O.D. is .040" larger diameter, but has the correct tooth count. So...might be close enough to work.

Then I discover this new gear will only go all the way on in 2 positions. It will go on half way in 2 other positions. It will not go on in any other position. The original gear will not go on at all. So I start looking closely and discover little Hop'Sing Jr. must have had a little too much pickled cabbage for breakfast the day it was his turn on the spline cutting machine. Must be hard to meet your daily quota when your belly aches.

Judging by the shallow splines, looks like the easy solution is to bore out the center hole until you can make it sorta fit.

We'll try to put it on the bike tomorrow and see what happens.

I know that they can not be exactly the same as OEM (pattent laws) but they should at least do the job they are made for.

i wouldn't mess with it, it's just not even close and a recipe for creating new issues,

if you get the sprocket on, how might it (or not) come off for future starter issues? it's also my understanding that for starter removal, the sprocket ideally stays inside the case

what wear might result form teeth that are clearly off? the chain along with the other related parts?

i've read other threads out there about these starters and couldn't come to a definitive opinion but was pretty sure the starters were at least usable

this is the best thread i've seen documenting facts that i've not seen elsewhere

there is a slight possibly that there is still some mixup, i believe there were 3 diff part# for the starters

i have also read some threads where folks were happy with what they got, with good results, or at least positive comments

could you take a head on shot of the sprockets, one on top of the other? to better show the diff

Latest posts