New From Indiana

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
In 1978 my brother bought a Suzuki GS750. A couple months later I bought a GS400. I had had an old water buffalo earlier but it ran like crap and I knew nothing about it. I sold it, soI consider the 400 my first bike. I always had an envy of the 750 though. Since then I have been through a lot of motorcycles and about 10-12 years ago I started restoration projects every winter. All Japanese 70 and 80s. This winter I picked up a 76 Aermacchi / Harley two stroke SS250. And of course the 1982 Interstate.

At any rate I finally found the 78 GS750 I always lusted after three summers ago. Rough shape. Actually terrible. I spent the winter restoring everything and it looked great. Thing is, when I started riding it I hated the ride. Since my main ride was a Vstar 1100 it was completely different. A year ago September a guy that collects old bikes suggested that we trade GS for the Gold Wing. It didn't run, but looked good and we switched titles.

Got it running but found that there was no compression in #3. I found another motor at Green's Salvage in Kentucky and changed it. Problem. The floats allowed gas into one of the cylinders and when I started it big clank. Hydrolock. Another bad motor. I found another in Wisconsin last fall and I have the motor almost in this past weekend and should finish things by tomorrow. Everything else has been rebuilt. Shocks, some wiring, complete brake overhaul including SS line and a modern front master cylinder, stator, clutch, carbs. Well, you know the drill. It looks beautiful and, hopefully, will run the same. I usually sell my restorations but I think I'll keep this Wing as long as it minds its manners, or I don't find a Royal Star Venture that I can't resist. I have a thing for them.

That's me. Glad to be here and posting. I love the restoration section. The other Gold Wing forums I am on do not dedicate an area for that. The stories are great.

Welcome to the fun. Carbs on these can be very time consuming. Motors in the "oldwings" don't often go bad. What year and model are you fixing up? Got any pics?

Thanks for all the welcome comments. I have been looking through a lot of posts here and there is a lot of good stuff. Since all you are interested in are the older Gold Wings, then this seems to be the place for me. I don't have an 1800 so I skip so much in the other forums. But they are okay too.

This particular bike seems to be cursed as I have had so many motor problems. On on my third one now. I spent last week installing the latest, an 82 motor, and when everything was hooked up it started leaking coolant around a head that was just reinstalled. I love to do everything to the bikes I restore, but on these Wings I am challenged by the valve clearance and setting the timing belts, so I have a buddy who does it for me. Former Honda mechanic. He had found a couple of bent valves on the left side. Told me that when I loosen up the timing belts that it should be at TDC 1 or you risk bending valves. He put in a couple of valves from other heads I had, and I have many. but did not change the head gasket. It looked new to him.

So now I have ordered a new one and hopefully will get it in this week. And it won't leak. We'll see. Here is a picture of the bike when I got it after some good cleaning.

100_1542_zpstxmecqcg.jpg

100_1543_zpsmtdwyn1t.jpg

As you can see it is absolutely gorgeous and well worth the effort. I am going to copy some of this post and put it on the restoration section and will add to it what I have done so far.

Nice bike!! :clapping: :yes:

I would hesitate some if a mechanic reused a head gasket. In my experience, once the head is mated and torqued, the gasket is done. I would not re-use a head gasket.

Welcome from Wanatah, Indiana. lots of good info on here.Nice looking bike.Had an 82 and 83 the same color.

Slow down! You are not in new territory. Many have been through motor issues here. Post your progress and questions here as you go and folks here will be happy to advise and guide you. If you just like giving away money I'm willing to accept it.