New Goldwing Owner!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadaWing

Reaction score
Hello All I just graduated from a 1988 hurricane 1000f to my beautiful luxury of a bike a 1981 Goldwing GL1100 with 35 000 km on it. I'm the 3rd owner, it spent 15 years covered in a barn up until 2005 when the last owner got it and went through it completely. It's a beautifully balanced bike and I am enjoying it immensely.

Any tips anyone can share would be appreciated. Thanks..

-Darryl

Welcome from California.

Tips? Sure! Read your owners manual (you'd be surprised how many don't), buy a shop manual and then jump right in. Also, these bikes love fresh oil and good batteries. Be sure that yours always has both. Plenty of info. here, at GoldWingdocs and the NGW. All are great forums with a lot of helpful folks.

welcome to classic .....tips just one ...mix a little atf in the fuel if the bike runs well now ...it will stay that way ...best thing you can do to keep carbs clean and oldwing running its best ...about 6-8 oz per tank of gas

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

joedrum":2xaglueu said:
welcome to classic .....tips just one ...mix a little atf in the fuel if the bike runs well now ...it will stay that way ...best thing you can do to keep carbs clean and oldwing running its best ...about 6-8 oz per tank of gas
+1 :eek:k:

Yes on the PDF, after 5 posts you'll have access to all our tech stuff.

Darryl, you need to check under the battery cover and see if the factory stator plug has been removed! It's to the left of the battery and has three yellow wires on both ends. If it's there you need to remove it and solder each of the wires separately to it mate. This plug can and WILL fail in time and short out your stator which is a difficult repair requiring engine removal. Check it out and let us know, we can help if needed.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums :doh:

~O~

Omega Man- THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just checked and fixed it but you may have saved my bike. It was burnt, plug was melted not sure for how long. I just got it. I have fixed the problem and all seems well. What would I be noticing if there was damage?

Again THANK YOU!

CanadaWing":88utqw8l said:
Omega Man- THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just checked and fixed it but you may have saved my bike. It was burnt, plug was melted not sure for how long. I just got it. I have fixed the problem and all seems well. What would I be noticing if there was damage?

Again THANK YOU!
Your welcome!

Your bike would not be charging the battery. Does the bike have a volt meter or do you have one? Should be charging at 14+ volts at 3000rpm.

~O~

Yes it has a voltmeter and it sits just over 14v. Anything else pertinent I should know that could save my bike?