New Member from New Mexico

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanlw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of an 81 GL1100I. The beast sat for 7 years and I have spent 1 1/2 years trying to clean it up some and getting it running. I finally got it to run, but it still has problems. Mainly getting the carbs set. I tried the single carb conversion, but could not get it to idle. Finally gave up on that idea and went back to four carbs. Went from running way to rich to what I think is too lean. Oh well... I also put a one terminal Chevy alternator. Kind of a bastardized version of the Poor Boy. It works really well. Any and all advise is most welcome.

Welcome from your neighbor in Arizona. I'm still new myself and hoping I don't have to spend a year and a half getting mine roadworthy. I'm sure the crew here will get us both you and running in no time.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome from Oz, let us see some pictures of the beast as soon as you can!

c7.jpg
c6.jpg
c4.jpg

This is my $250.00 beast. Still needs a lot of work. But like me, it's a work in progress.

c3.jpg
b6.jpg
Owning an 81 wing had been my dream for 30 years. When my buddy decided to get rid of this one I jumped on it. Would have been nice if he had made that decision before letting it setup for 7 years... But then it would have cost a lot more! I love the etching in the windscreen.

Excellent purchase I paid 4 times that for my 81 and it came with a Rats Nest.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=82112#p82112:1fvlx2hs said:
Ansimp » Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 am[/url]":1fvlx2hs]Excellent purchase I paid 4 times that for my 81 and it came with a Rats Nest.
Mine came with mice. When I started it for the first time it backfired and blew mice nest all over my carport. I wish I had taken a picture of that! :smilie_happy:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, stanlw!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
How 'bout some pics of your alternator conversion? We have a whole forum for stuff like that....home brewed stuff is always interesting!!! :beg:

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=82135#p82135:2inq7rts said:
AApple » Fri May 24, 2013 10:55 am[/url]":2inq7rts]Welcome to the CGW Forums, stanlw!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
How 'bout some pics of your alternator conversion? We have a whole forum for stuff like that....home brewed stuff is always interesting!!! :beg:

I don't have any welding tools or experience working with metal, but it is amazing what you can accomplish with a drill, dremel tool, and a jig saw. I found a website somewhere where a guy did his own version of the Poor Boy. He posted a lot of pictures of his modifications. I studied the pictures and did a poor, poor boy conversion of my own. It's kind of ugly, but it works fine. (So far). No welding skill and no budget...

Here is a video of what it sounds like when it's running. The idle is still running a bit high, but at least it is idling. Maybe somebody can hear something I can't. I'm a computer tech, not a mechanic, so I do a lot of web surfing trying to figure out how to make things work! Sometimes I have success and a lot more times, not so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhE1GwQT ... e=youtu.be