NEW MEMBER SOUTH JERSEY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello from New Jersey,
I had my wife talk me in to buying a junker to tinker on for a winter project. I have worked on lawn mower's all my life. Last time I had a bike was way back in 1982 Honda 400cc road bike, before that start riding mini bikes since I could sit on one and when thought dirt bikes and all on the farm.
I came up with the idea at 56 yrs old I would buy a GW which I have been doing research online for 2-3 months before catching one I could afford. I wanted one all dress out and new it would have to be a 80-82 gl1100 not running for the $500. I wanted to spent. Well I had a couple of chances to buy in the $7-900. range but did follow thru with them. Then one day a fellow calls and said he had a 1981 GW gl1100 he just it gone. So me and wife go look at it. Not running po don't know anything about it. It was a nake bike which turn me off, but wife said to buy it and tinker with it. So I brought it at $300. I a got it home and looked it over , boy was dollar signs adding up and getting bike in shape. Brakes all the way around it,tires, and so on. Well I flushed fuel out, put starter box on it and it started with a lot of noise. Well I figured timing off. Still run like shit. Every body said clean carbs and syn. them. Well done have tool to syn. So me I start ripping it apart. heads off, motor out of bike on workbench because the whole bike won't fit in my shed. So that is my story so far. Going to go thru whole bike. If nothing else I hope to get motor running good and maybe find a 80-82 full dress with a bad motor I could drop this in.
So I will be asking a lot of questions in here. I have saved a lot of the diy things to do.

Attachments

• 20141116_103703.jpg
    20141116_103703.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 141
welcome to classic ... i wouldnt break into the motor just yet ...bearing and stuff really hard to fine ...hopfully there was no lower end trouble sounds when it was runners carbs on these bike can be a handful with epa dysfunctional tech of the day.... there is also single carb option ...here we have lots of info here on that too ...

ok first thing id do is check stator bolt .. its on the left side or non drive shaft side ..in back of motor..under the plug cap deal ... once that off it a 12mm bolt to check for being tight ....hopefully it loose and can be tighten up ...if not it is for sure to me a heads off deal ... i wouldnt sink any money into it till i could figure out whats up...head removal quit easy really but if you go there post so ..so we can spell out the make sure things to do ...somthing making quite the racket

Sounds to me like a loose tappet adjustment or possibly a valve head tapping on a piston.

If a valve is hanging up and not closing completely, then tappet will be loose.
I'd pull the valve covers and follow the book on valve adjustment. One with the adjuster screw in further than the others would show the problem.

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have the right stuff, with the heads off you should know by now if the valve are OK and if the bore and pistons look good. I agree it sounds like a valve hanging up but rod bearings have a quick pace too, Check the bolt as Joedrum said. If all that looks good then I would use a dial gauge and check for play in the rod bearings or piston pin..Should be able to do that with heads off and engine block together, dial gauge on the piston top and mounted to the block turn by the crank back and forth.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome from Southern California! Sounds like you've got a good project there for sure! How many miles on the bike? How did the coolant and oil look? Enjoy the tinkering - to me, it's the best part!

Welcome to the site from SOUTH JERSEY!! :clapping: :party:

Shamong is near where my kids went to camp (Delanco Camp in Tabernacle). If you need anything, holler! I'm about 40 minutes to an hour away.

As far as a dresser, I have a Vetter fairing with lowers and radio setup and ready to go if you are interested! Great condition and it is made to fit a Standard, pre-wired and ready to go!

I have an old pic with it on my '82 with the lowers installed:

image.php

without the lowers installed:

image.php