New project definitely!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the reasons that I hadn't sorted the radiator on Val sooner was that the automatic transmission finally failed and I really wanted the RTV back on the road asap. Like all my projects lately nothing seems to go to plan. I needed to repair my hoist first, so I looked at buying a transmission from a wrecker and using my mates hoist. Unfortunately a good box was $550 instead of $300 as I had budgeted on so plan "b" was this.
Damaged 06 BF Falcon XR6 with exhaust and front seats removed for $400. I replaced the damaged passenger door to keep the cabin water tight with a free one from a mate. I was able to get It running and drive it up and down my driveway to make sure that the transmission seemed ok before swapping it into the ute. It has 160K klms on the odometer and my ute is probably nearer 300K.

I had purchased a heavy duty transmission cooler which I hadn't installed on the old transmission yet so that now needed to be installed for the new transmission. I also had an updated towbar that I hadn't installed as well and seeing that the ute as on the hoist it seemed like the time was right.
In keeping with my theme of making many jobs out of one job here is what happened when removing the old towbar.
Two snapped bolts in the spring hanger mounts.
I needed to wet blast and wire buff the towbar and mounting brackets then paint.
I had to repair the circuit board (solder connections) in the wire buff.
Adjust the handbrake.
Mount up the trailer plugs and make a mount for the 50a Anderson plug.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183922#p183922:36ft9obn said:
Denver » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:58 am[/url]":36ft9obn]
So what did you do after lunch? :smilie_happy: Nice day's work! :good:
:smilie_happy: :salute:

I finally did something about levelling the rear suspension ( leaf springs) and purchased a second hand set of Ironman Load Handlers.
Here is one installed
I also ended up changing the tramp/link rod bushes for Supapro ones.
I can't believe the difference in the ride and how rattley my rear springs were before installing the load handlers.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187937#p187937:yorxus5j said:
Denver » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 pm[/url]":yorxus5j]
Been on the lift all this time????? :smilie_happy:
Feels like it. :head bang:

I have wanted leather seat for my ute for ages and my mate has been getting a few wrecks atm that were victims of our last flood. He doesn't like the colour combination but I thought they would look great in my red RTV ute.
I wasn't going to strip the seats completely but the foams were still damp in a few places and I also need to swap the seat back frames so that they would still tilt forward to allow access to my behind seat storage.
I pressure cleaned all the base mechanisms and had them all lined up to dry out in the sun.
Three tubs with each seats components after stripping and the foams from the original passenger seat.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191184#p191184:1ukwzwft said:
mcgovern61 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 am[/url]":1ukwzwft]
Looks like comfy seats. Are you going to re-paint the frames? Hate to see them rust on ya later.
Still working out which parts I am using, but a touch up is on the addenda for any ugly bits. I haven't worked out if I am going to use the electric 6 way memory base or just use the standard ute 4 way bases. It is so much quicker to move the seats forward with the mechanical slide of the 4 way electric seat bases which makes rear storage even easier to get to.

Added some extra foam to the drivers seat where the original foam was crushed. Used some spray glue at my mates shed to anchor the new foam to the old foam and stick them to the metal seat frame for rigidity.
I had changed the rear tyres a couple of weeks ago and while the car was on the hoist I installed new rear shockies.
The other tyres were more aggressive for off-roading but were a lower load rating and did not work out as well as I had hoped. These ones are a higher load rating than recommended for my ute and hopefully will stand up better to the load that I carry.
Today I finally installed new front struts to match the new rear shockies. These springs are a pain to compress with my old spring compressors but with much swearing I managed to make them work. :whistling:

Looking good! My biggest issue with the old Fords is the accelerator pumps are eaten by the new gas. Do you have a source for alky tolerant accel pumps?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191576#p191576:2khp87kc said:
slabghost » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 pm[/url]":2khp87kc]
Looking good! My biggest issue with the old Fords is the accelerator pumps are eaten by the new gas. Do you have a source for alky tolerant accel pumps?
Are we talking carburettor accelerator pumps V? The RTV is a 4ltr 6cyl with 182kw and is multipoint fuel injected with cops. :mischief:
Even though the label says 190kw on the photo that is the next series engine that I will fit out of the wrecked XR6.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191596#p191596:1mutl852 said:
slabghost » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:47 am[/url]":1mutl852]
Yes carb accel pumps. All of them here seem to last maybe 3 months.
:head bang:

Latest posts