New seat time. Maybe.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnDenny1

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Saddlemen Road Sofa on a GL1100? I have my eyes set on a Russell Day-Long seat, but they are $500 starting. There is a slightly used or abused Saddlemen Road Sofa on ebay for $200.

I would bet it's better than the old stock seat I have, but not as good as the Russell, but I have the $200 and could go for the Saddlemen's seat now. The one on ebay has a driver's backrest too. The new Saddelmen's Road Sofa is about $400, so even with the scratches it is a good value. I just don't know if it's going to be that much better than the stock seat? It looks like it might be just fine.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have a Road Sofa that I just installed new last spring.
I originally wasnt so shore,but in time it broke in nicely.It is much stiffer and taller than the stock seat,witch I wasnt to happy about at first,but the stiffness is much more supportive,and the height is nice on the legs.But I did fab up a set of bar risers to accomadate the height.
It is not a seat that you will sit on and say wow,but it is a seat you will appreciate after the first 100 miles of a trip.It holds up great on the longer rides witch makes me happy I got it.
I did go with the saddle gel inserts,but be careful leaving the bike out in the sun.Once the gel heats up,it stays hot all day.I put my helmet or jacket over it now.
It took about 1,000 miles to break it in and I did have to move the trunk back a couple inchs even on my 83.

Hope that helps.Tory

Attachments

• trailor and plate 004.JPG
    trailor and plate 004.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 200
  • seat 004.JPG
    seat 004.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 201
I hope you don't mind me asking a personal question, but what is your inseam? I'm almst 6 foot tall but I have short legs, and my inseam is only about 30 inches. I have an old Diamond Seat for the 1100 and it is better than the stock and higher, except I slide forward all the time on it, and it puts a lot of pressure on my upper thigh. I'm concerned with the Road Sofa doing the same thing?

Thanks for the info.

Dennis

i know ~O~ went back to the stock seat after usind the saddleman seat for a season ....i think he said it was a lot taller than stock.....im not so sure its enough to keep me from trying one at 200 dollars new ....or maybe ~O~ will sell you his ....they seem to be made well anytime time ive look at one

CapnDenny1":3dznp02i said:
I hope you don't mind me asking a personal question, but what is your inseam? I'm almst 6 foot tall but I have short legs, and my inseam is only about 30 inches. I have an old Diamond Seat for the 1100 and it is better than the stock and higher, except I slide forward all the time on it, and it puts a lot of pressure on my upper thigh. I'm concerned with the Road Sofa doing the same thing?

Thanks for the info.

Dennis
I have a 29" inseam and I have trouble setting my feet flat with my older Saddleman Road Sofa. As far as sliding forward, my seat has a raised section forward that prevents that, but I find that my seat is a little hard onn my bones after a 300 mile ride. I added a sheepskin that solved that proble, but it raised me up 1.5" making it even harder to flatfoot the ground. Turns out that my seat is actually lower than stock,but not low enough for me. I am considering re-sculpting my foam for me.

Attachments

• Seat 2.JPG
    Seat 2.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Sheepskin.JPG
    Sheepskin.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 177
The ebay listing price went down by $10, but they also took away the free shipping, which is an additional $33, so teh total price is now $23 higher. So I decided to wait on the seat. I need new fork springs and a rear tire really bad, and probably a front tire, although it has tread left. I have an old Diamond Seat fro the GL1100 an dit is pretty comfy, but the foam has lost it's foaminess. But that will have to do.

I appreciate the comments. I may see if Diamond can cut me a break on re-doing the seat I have?

Take care all,

Dennis

I believe diamand will rebuild your seat,but I dont know any details about that.Diamond makes a great seat and it may be worth it.

I have a 31 inseem and stand 5,9".And yes,the road sofa is taller than my stock seat and that took a little getting used to.But I bought my seat new direct from saddleman,so it may still settle a bit.They did inform me that although they do produce seat for mail order companys such as JC Whitney,they do not nessecaraly use the same materials as the one they put there name on.That may be the differance of opinions on them.

My stock seat would let me slide forward and before long you would be riding where there isnt much padding,the road sofa tends to hold me better in the saddle.I also had the saddle gel inserts put in,and I think that helps in that 300 mile mark.I have a sheep pelt that I used with the stock seat,but have not had to use it with the road sofa.

Joe is correct, my Saddlemen(legit) is taller and has less padding, but that doesn't mean a sore arse. I can ride for hours on it and I suffer from those damnable tailbone cysts. However, like I've said before that beautiful OEM I got from Dan puts me back in the bubble(I'm 6'0").

~O~

Laugh if want, but I rode with that sheepskin for over 2800 miles in 5 days that summer, real comfortable! But then I learned that I only needed the very center of the seat covered with the sheepskin (like last summer)! :Awe: :smilie_happy:

(Didn't look too silly with just the little piece) :cheeky:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109084#p109084:20fjzm6v said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm[/url]":20fjzm6v]
Did ya trim that furry thing into any particular shape? :hihihi: :whistling: :ahem:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109087#p109087:1z1ljt5m said:
slabghost » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:26 pm[/url]":1z1ljt5m]
Looks comfy.

Baa Baa Badass :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109084#p109084:33lp9h9b said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm[/url]":33lp9h9b]
Laugh if want, but I rode with that sheepskin for over 2800 miles in 5 days that summer, real comfortable! But then I learned that I only needed the very center of the seat covered with the sheepskin (like last summer)! :Awe: :smilie_happy:

I didn't mean that it was funny looking, butt now that you mention it... :smilie_happy:

I have a sheepskin on my wing, too. Started with the full size but since I ride solo nearly all of the time, I cut it down. The back would cTch wind and lift off the seat when I rode alone. I did have my wife add a strap,to it when I cut it down so it won't fly off.