New starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratocat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I haven't been on here in quite a while. I haven't been riding My GW but I have been starting it regularly. The other day I was going to go for a ride so I started it and let it warm up and then turned it off. I waited about 15 min and tried to start it again. there was an odd groaning noise coming from the starter every time I pushed the starter button. Now just the solenoid clicks when I push the starter button. There is voltage to the starter and I even ran a wire from the battery direct to the starter with no result. So it looks like the starter is NG. I checked ebay and found starters from about $80 -- $250. Any recommendations for a replacement? :thanks:

Could be the battery is just done or low on charge. Low power a starter can make that groaning noise.
What is voltage at the battery?
Try with jumper cables from a car to the starter lead and see if it cranks.

I'd clean all the cable connections and the grounds real good and check for internal cable corrosion. If that didn't help, the starter may need to be removed, cleaned and old hard grease removed from gear head and replaced with fresh grease, might as well check brushes and clean starter internals. That's cheaper than a new starter and your dollars ahead if that's the problem.

I'd try new brushes and clean up the old starter. Pretty cheap fix if it works. Most of the time it does.

I would also pull the plugs and try it(kill switch to off), I keep thinking about the time I thought I had a bad battery but bike had gas leaking into cylinders.

I pulled the starter today. I twas pretty easy to remove. I removed the end cap that covers the brushes and found it to have a lot of dirt inside. the armiture has a lot of play end to end maybe 3/8". I've never worked on a starter. Can I test it with an ohm meter? Any advice what to do next is welcome. I'll post some pictures soon

Attachments

• 20161030_162853.jpg
    20161030_162853.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 238
  • 20161030_162104.jpg
    20161030_162104.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 20161030_162046.jpg
    20161030_162046.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 237
If you rebuild it go ahead and take pictures, even if you have problems. (was going to say screw it up but... :wave: ) This will help anyone else that tackles the job. Great pics so far. That kit is a lot cheaper than new.

Plus one to all the previous advice, I had the same symptoms as you with an 1100 starter. Still had trouble on occasion, until I pulled the starter one more time and sanded the starter body and the engine boss where the starter bolts on. This gave me a good ground finally... hot, cold, restarts, works great. Don't miss the engine case and the starter case where they meet and provide a good ground...I used fine sandpaper.!

Good luck...you probably don't need a new starter.

Just an update. I pulled the starter. bought new brushes and mounting plate from ebay.
I found goldwingdocs had starter rebuild instructions, so I followed them ecept using existing bearings. I did use 1500 grit emery cloth to clean the surfaces where the starter contacts the engine block. Result, it spins like a champ! :Egyptian: It starts every time like a Honda should :thanks: Thanks guys for your advice. It is running a little rough and not idling well. I went for a 25 mile ride and its doing better but it may be time to freshin up the carbs

I love good endings. Those tutorials at Gold Wing Docs are the bomb. Does everything except tell you when to fart.

Are you running ATF (4-6 oz per tank) in the fuel? You may find that it will clean your carbs better as you drive and you won't have to wrench on the carbs

the first stop on my ride was to fill the tank. I do have some atf in there from the last fill up. I'll go ahead and add a little more and see if that will do the job :moped: