New to me '84

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozenpoet

Reaction score
first things first, Just bought a new to me 84 gl1200. At one time it was naked, from my understandings, but now has the vetter fairing and full set of bags.

Best I can tell from my once over is that it needs fork seals and a brake master cylinder rebuild, a new rear tire, and time to figure out what in the world is going on with the wires. The joys of figuring out what someone else did.

Are there any brands that are better than others, or anything I need to check out sooner rather than later?

Yes sir you have a last year standard bike that someone has dressed 84 is my favorite year of "wing". Welcome to the fun. Several members have put car tires on the back of their 1200's and a few more plan to. Brands for what? Check the stator and reg/rec plugs. They tend to overheat.

Brands for everything? I guess that's too general of a question. First thing I'm working on is the brake system, starting with rebuilding the brake master cylinder. The pin is slow to come back out and squeezing the front brake turns on the lights but doesn't turn them back off unless you push the lever forward a little.

On the front of the bike between the neck and the fairing is a bundle of wires zip tied together, I'm assuming that these are for the dash setup on the non naked bikes. If that's the case, did the bike come like that or has the main wire harness been replaced?

the stator and reg/rec plug? The three yellow wires of death? I know of this issue as I had a 82 v45 that is currently in a few different boxes.

You may not need a "rebuild" for the master cylinder. Often if they are cleaned up and flushed with new fluid they function fine. Bundle of wires is probably the harness for the fairing lights and such. Remove the front calipers and compress the pistons in with the top off the master. Use a syringe of some sort to remove the old fluid. Then fill the master with fresh fluid. Leave the C clamp or whatever you used to compress the pistons in place and bleed the brakes until fresh fluid comes out. Then reinstall the calipers. Preferably with new pads. Keeping the reservoir filled pump the brakes until the calipers go tight. Often this will restore full function. If not there may be air in the system (hard to avoid) or they may indeed need rebuilt.

Welcome frozenpoet. I have an 84 Interstate that is my main ride. I did the brakes, fork seals, timing belts and a fresh coat of paint. So nice to ride. Is that the Strasburg near Lancaster? The wife and I ride out that way a lot. If I can help, give me a yell.

Bill

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175180#p175180:lwrmyfx8 said:
frozenpoet » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:45 pm[/url]":lwrmyfx8]
I'm in VA, it's where i81 and i66 meet.
Welcome to the site from New Jersey! Nice bike! :clapping:

I know that interchange all too well! We live in NJ and our Daughter and her family live in Abingdon, VA. We have made that trip across 66 and down 81 many, many time!

Welcome to Classics! The bundle of wires was once housed inside the headlight bucket. It sounds like your bucket has been removed and most like the stock turn signals were also. That may make it near impossible to revert back to standard as the turn signal attach points are almost Impossible to find.

Vetter supplied a little pouch to put the wires in but almost anything will work, including zip ties. As long as everything works, I wouldn't worry too much about it right away. If you are having problems, well then rewire the fairing wiring harness to the bike harness and tuck everything in neatly as you do it.

Welcome to the asylum. :wave: 84 standard's are my all time favorite summer bike's, :yahoo: faired one's are great for rain, spring, & fall. :yes: Problem is with M B S, i love em all. :smilie_happy:

the turn signals and headlamp work, I'm guessing the turn signals don't stay on as running lights. Best I can tell at the moment is that I don't have any electric gremlins, but I haven't stuck the battery on a volt meter yet.

Hopefully I can get to the dmv soon and give this thing a proper shakedown.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175243#p175243:3otaekoa said:
brianinpa » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:48 am[/url]":3otaekoa]
The front turn signals on that Vetter fairing should have two elements. One for a turn signal and one for a running light.
+1
Maybe it wasn't wired up correctly or there is a bad connection in the old headlight bucket wiring point ( normally in a bag in front of the steering head)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175243#p175243:3mgh1cyi said:
brianinpa » June 19th, 2016, 8:48 pm[/url]":3mgh1cyi]
The front turn signals on that Vetter fairing should have two elements. One for a turn signal and one for a running light.

good to know, I'll have to check into it.

I stuck the volt meter on it today and got a pretty consistent 13.3 volts at around 3k rpm.

couple of pics.

I haven't decided if I'm keeping the radio or not, I normally get my music via bluetooth headset. The fog lamps will probably be pulled, maybe replaced with round LED types...round headlamp with square fogs just don't do it for me.