New To Me - Second 1985 Limited - New Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FI light - have you checked the computer lights for a code set? If you don't have them, I may still have the troubleshooting guides from my old SEi.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The only ECU code is for the TPS, and it is the signal aspect. I have the new TPS temporarily wired. Will be doing it permanently on my next trip back. Only other issue I can see is the fuel pressure. Don't know if the fuel system light would come on because of the TPS signal - never know.

Cheers

Brother kicked me out of the garage as I am heading south then home to Victoria and he wants his garage back. Took a picture of me and the new bike out in the snow. The lights are on so the bike is running. Drove it into it's cold storage. It's only -24 deg C.
Out of Garage 1.jpg

Doing more perusing of the forums to get a handle on the fuel system light and why it's on. This GL1200 Goldwings forum site: https://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/a ... rum-7.html has a wealth of information specific to the LTD/SEi FI bikes. It appears that the fuel system light is the catch all "check engine light" for these bikes. The ECU apparently grounds this dash indicator so it illuminates when there is a fault in the system. In my case I have a TPS fault showing up on the ECU regarding a signal error. I have the TPS wiring temporarily installed and will correct when I return.

Cheers

Back in Victoria - quite a bit warmer. Time to get the two bikes here going again - this means hooking up the battery, start and go. Supposed to be up to 10 deg C this weekend and sunny.

Ordered some brake and muffler parts for the bike in Ontario. Everything is coming together. The used TPS units that I found are here, will work great in the 1200. Found pins for the one brake caliper on eBay, ordered 3, were here when I got home.

Have been tracking costs and up to $1600.00 CDN to date. My projection of $2500.00 CDN on the road and travelling is well within reach. There are two '85 1200 Limited Edition bikes in BC for sale, one wants $4000. CDN the other $5000.00 CDN firm. My $2500.00 looks pretty good.

Have a new bike lift coming. It's the Big Blue out of the UK. Will make working on these bikes that much easier. Here is the site: https://bigbluemotorcyclelift.com/

Already talked to Sonya about riding back across Canada. Should be June time frame. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Been busy finalizing the parts I need for the bike - have a list and cataloging everything that needs to be sent to my brother. The seat was a bit ratty so I'm having a fellow in my brother's town do a new cover for the seat and backrest - $300.00 is a good deal. The fellow does cars and boats for a living. Doing this is quite exciting. Mentioned to my HD friends, who are always surprised when I mention what I will be doing with these older bikes, that this one will be rode across Canada something they will not be able to say about theirs. My parts guy mentioned that a mechanic friend of his has never had an issue with resurrecting an older fuel injected bike, always works after a system clean unlike carbs - more good vibes.

Talked with Sonya again regarding this bike. She asked how confident I am about this bike. Once it is mechanically sound, not much else to worry about or do. Also have 350 KM of towing with BCAA, what more does one need. Had mentioned that it would probably be a parts bike, but once it started and everything is working well, and with a good going over, it would be a shame to part it out. Better to spend a few sheckles and sell it - figure I will get my money out of it if I were to sell it once I'm done and have a trip with it as well. We have looked at the trip across, not a lot on the prairies, but once closer to the west coast there is the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument and the likes. We also have to do a trip back down the coast to the sea lion caves and other areas. There are also more people I want to hook up with, put name to face over coffee, as this forum and the others have been very good to me.

Working on my '85 here in Victoria. Will always be a work in progress.

Cheers

Going to use Shinko Tourmaster tires on this bike. Would use Michellin Commander II but since this is the second/spare saving the Michelin Commander II tires for the '85 her in Victoria. Savings of approximately $125.00 using the Shinko tires.

Have been in contact with a fellow in Ottawa, Ontario regarding the rear trunk and front fairing. He is making his LTD a project bike and is selling these off for very reasonable prices. The front fairing comes with lights and mirrors, and the rear trunk is not damaged. My '85 at my brother's place has a small chunk out of the top right rear corner of the rear trunk. May also see what he wants for the saddlebags and he has the engine and rear guards as well. If someone does not take these, they will probably end up in the landfill.

Have to think about this.

Cheers

Have had further discussions with Sonya regarding bringing this bike across Canada to Victoria from Ontario. She is not too crazy about the idea because she feels I don't know the bike as well as this one here in Victoria. I think I do, so we have modified our plans a bit. I will go back and get it prepped and ready to go, and ride across back to Victoria. Once back here in Victoria we will use it as the second bike and take off for a few days on the one here. She feels confident in the ability of the bike here considering she has seen me working on it, and being successful at addressing every issue that has come up.

Have been ordering and receiving the parts I need for the bike back east. Almost finished with the ordering, will go quickly when I get back east. Up to $1800.00ish on costs to date. Tires are the last big expense. Will definitely have a new rear tire, front will be determined when I get back there.

Cheers

Replaced tires in sets for the last 35 years myself. The bike feels almost new after tires. Shock & fork oil, seals, bushings, any worn internal parts adds to this. New springs, both ends, with dampers in the rear, add steering head bearings you have a better than new bike suspension. That's the way i like to go through any new to me bikes suspension, starting with the tires. Timing belts are more than likely old enough to need replaced as well. Fuel injection is a real plus, too bad they didn't make it on more bikes. Really liked those two years bikes, but any seen for sale were beat pretty bad, in one way or another. Or TOO PRICEY for me. :crying:

Change is the only constant besides death, taxes and VISA. I'm good with a trip across Canada by myself. Gives me a lot of flexibility where to stop and stay - not as particular when I'm by myself, and I can stop and meet some of the great folks on these forums along the way.

Do know that I will spend more on this second bike, but I'm going to do it in a more realistic way. Get it safe for the road this year. Next year bearings all round. Following year new brake and clutch lines. A few electrical mods that I like that will be beneficial, here we go again, but it keeps me busy. Either this or get another '85 LTD and make it roadworthy - these come up every now and then.

Did look at another '85 LTD that had quit on the fellow, not far from where my brother lives - almost bought it - brother would have been impressed, not. Finding someone to troubleshoot and fix these older bikes, especially an FI is extremely difficult (not impossible) and owners don't want the hassle.

Have receipts from the PO. Supposed to be Progressive springs in the front with new seals, bushings in 2014 as well as the rear shocks were supposed to be rebuilt. Took the air compressor unit out to test and refurbish - needs desiccant. Air compressor is good. will check the other components on the bike out here, plug and play for a bit. there was air in the system when I disconnected the air lines - good sign.

Have to do an inspect and clean of most of the switches. No power to horn or the compressor. Sitting unused for 3 1/2 years doesn't help.

You're right about the fuel injection. If this was a carb bike, it still would be sitting waiting to have the carbs cleaned and new kits installed before it would start. If it did start would still have to do the work as the performance would be suspect at best.

More to follow.

Cheers

Unless the desiccant is broken it can be refurbished by baking the moisture out of the material, good as new! Did that to mine a few years back.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199631#p199631:15xmfxqm said:
julimike54 » 21 minutes ago[/url]":15xmfxqm]
Unless the desiccant is broken it can be refurbished by baking the moisture out of the material, good as new! Did that to mine a few years back.

Will try this. Hadn't thought about a reuse, well ensconced into the societal norm of throw away. Have stopped throwing things away even if I don't reuse, good start to the process of re-engineering myself.

The desiccant is a nice pink colour and the Honda service manual mentions that it should be a blue colour.

Will post results.

Cheers

Tried baking the desiccant and bringing it back to a dry state as Mike recommended. Heated up the oven to 350 deg - lowest default temp and baked it for about an hour. Did remove and stir every so often. It has turned the desiccant from a pink/wet colour back to the blue colour as per the service manual. Here are the before and after pics:

Before:
Desiccant Wet.jpg

After:
Desiccant Baked.jpg

Going to use it again, can't hurt and it is better than when it was removed. Now to clean up the dishes before the better
half gets home! :Egyptian:

Cheers

Another way to remove the moisture from the desiccant is to put a fitting on a jar cap to use your vacuum pump. Put the stuff in the jar with lid tight and pull a strong vacuum. Keep it pulled until the blue returns.