New to old goldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

higgy333

Reaction score
Hi there guys. I am a teacher at a community college in south central Kansas. I had a vt500c as my first bike and decided to move up because I am proposing to my girlfreind, and that 500 just wasnt big enough for any long trips with her. I purchased a pretty blue 81 interstate. But the carbs are gummy and I just had to spend $100 for a front brakeline. (20" line for $100!) Oh well enough ranting. I am going to go troll the site for people who have fixed gummy carbs. Hopefully I dont have to shell 300 out to a mechanic for a complete rebuild.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

A quick try for gummy carbs is to add 8 oz of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to a full tank of gas. Do this for several tanks and see if it improves. The ATF works as a cleaner and helps the gas! (It will not hurt the carbs or the engine and it will improve gas mileage). However, if the carbs are gummed and shellacked real bad, you might have to take them apart to clean them. Try the ATF first (and do not be alarmed if after ATF is added that you get smoke on start up).

ATF huh? That is new to me. How does that compare to seafoam? I have ran a bottle through in two tanks and it didn't touch the gum.

higgy333":3mkrhb74 said:
Hi there guys. I am a teacher at a community college in south central Kansas. I had a vt500c as my first bike and decided to move up because I am proposing to my girlfreind, and that 500 just wasnt big enough for any long trips with her. I purchased a pretty blue 81 interstate. But the carbs are gummy and I just had to spend $100 for a front brakeline. (20" line for $100!) Oh well enough ranting. I am going to go troll the site for people who have fixed gummy carbs. Hopefully I dont have to shell 300 out to a mechanic for a complete rebuild.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well howdy from Michigan,
And to answer your question. In the 40+yrs of motorcycle repair the best carb cleaner I have ever found is the 5.5oz bottle of LUCAS injector cleaner. Put 1/2 bottle in the tank and top it off with premium gas and ride it. Then put in the other 1/2 top it off and ride it home. It should run a lot better.
Absolutely the best stuff I have ever found.