Noisy Tach

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Tuesday, on my way to work, I noticed a horrible whine as I slowed to exit the freeway. I start wondering what this might be, but I’m headed to work and really can’t waste much time on it. It was a cool and damp morning, so I thought that might have something to do with it.

After work, I fired the bike up and yep, the whine was still there. By the time I got home, I had pretty well figured out it was the tach, but the whine had now become pretty much a scream.

I got home and figured out that I could alter the sound by messing with the cable. If I loosened the ferrule that connects it to the tach, I could make it go away for a minute. If I completely disconnect the cable, it goes completely quiet. I still put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil down the housing, but I don’t think it’s a cable issue.

Doing my research, I found out that it’s more than likely a bushing inside the tach. I tried blowing some dry graphite up inside without taking the tach loose, but that didn’t seem to do the trick, it’s still squealing. So…. I guess I’m going to have to figure out how to take the tach off, turn it upside down and get a little lubrication into that darned thing.. Any other ideas? I read about an aerosol based graphite lube, but it sounds like nasty stuff and I’d be a little leery about blindly blasting that up inside my tach.

Mark

Most likely the bushing.

I used spray lithium grease.
It comes with a tube and the can is small enough to get down in front of the gauges then guide the tube to the bushing by feel.

Give the speedo bushing a shot too while your at it.

I tried blowing 3in1 oil up into the bushing with a bendable straw....didn't work. I ended up pulling mine off so I could turn it upside down and gave it a few drops of the oil and it's been quiet for about 6 months. :clapping:
Dan's idea sounds like the best approach to me. :music:

toytender01":20tkdlwv said:
Not doing in a timly manner will cost you a tac!!!!!! DON'T ASK!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's disconnected right now. Will try Dan's suggestion tonight.

Mark

When I took my trip to Ohio 2 summers ago.....mine got noisy for about 2 minutes and then was real quiet for about another 180 miles to Joedrum's house........(turns out the cable broke :hihihi: ) :smilie_happy: :Awe: :head bang: :ahem: :doh:

My did too, it made a hair raising noise, I dismantled it and cleaned up all the moving parts inside, I think I posted photo's here and all. let me know if you want photo's...

littlebeaver":1js308zh said:
My did too, it made a hair raising noise, I dismantled it and cleaned up all the moving parts inside, I think I posted photo's here and all. let me know if you want photo's...

Thanks, LB

littlebeaver":108cd0ad said:

Yeah it is a nasty noise :smilie_happy:

Great pics....I'm probably going to try Dan's idea first (since my tach started doing the same thing at the end of last season). If it doesn't work, I will replace the tach when I get my TEMP/FUEL gauges in. I can deal with leaving the tach disconnected for now. Thanks to all who posted ideas.....