Not A Wing, But Still A Boxer Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179995#p179995:1rl3bq7z said:
Steve83 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:29 am[/url]":1rl3bq7z]
I fully intend to keep my exhaust system tightly sealed!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179999#p179999:289tg1wl said:
slabghost » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 am[/url]":289tg1wl]
Would be great if you could get a stainless steel exhaust system to assure safety.
If it is similar to VWs you just blank off the heater ducts and no air comes into the cabin.. Hot or cold. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180009#p180009:1amy7jm9 said:
slabghost » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 pm[/url]":1amy7jm9]
Eliminates clear windshield on foggy days too. Better I think to build it so it works safely.

:good:
That's the plan. Gotta have a defroster!

BTW no experience with Corvairs but lots of it with the VW beetle. I had more troubles with keeping the shielding whole to deliver heat than leaky exhausts. Maybe you can find ss headers and fabricate shielding from something that won't rot away?

that last poster on the build thread has it right ...your work is clearly something all can learn from ...i know ive have ..from your work ..now days i really try and capture your way of looking at things when i do my work ...and it led to some great carb mods and so on ...on my bike ...great thread as always ..

and you are really just a yard dog machanic ..that all have trouble measuring up to no matter what there credentials are ..... :good:

Like you, Joe...sometimes the caveman way is the best. I've never had "all the right tools", but when I got this filthy engine, I knew a compressor and blast cabinet would make things so much easier. It also took a while to get used to using SAE tools again, after 30 plus years of metric. I also bought a piston ring groove cleaner, since these would not come clean using the broken ring method. 40 year-old varnish, gum, and carbon are really stubborn!

I'm also thinking of trying a single carb setup. I have most of what I need...we shall see.

Gonna try a single carb setup. I picked up this very sad engine a couple of months ago...it had been sitting, uncovered, outdoors for several years. I was mainly interested in the heads, but it included this carb/manifold setup. I haven't seen one of these since my sand rail back in the 70's...

The carb, a 600 CFM Edelbrock (Carter AFB, made by Weber), was dirty, but in decent shape.

It cleaned up very nicely...

A rebuild kit was only $35. I like the Torx bolts - so much better than slotted or Phillips!

I removed the black paint from the runners and plenum. I'm waiting for a carb tuning kit with various jet sizes, and several different metering rods and springs.

I still want to do a little more detail work to make everything shine. Also, since the Corvair engine is only 164 cubic inches (2.7L), 600 CFM is way too much carb, so I might disable the secondaries. A fun project...tuning carbs...right, Joe?!?!

I wouldn't be too quick in disabling the secondaries. With a bit of patience (and I know you got that) you can probably find the sweet spot combination of jetting to get it providing just the right charge at any rpm. It took Joe a couple years but it's all documented here how he did it and did or did not work.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180347#p180347:1ni88987 said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 pm[/url]":1ni88987]
Sounds great! No hesitation no black smoke.
+1 :good:

It's tuned 2 stages lean. Smaller primary and secondary jets, thicker metering rods, and the shortest accelerator pump stroke. The carb looks huge on the engine! Now I just need to convince my body to allow me to swap it into the car...

Latest posts