Now an oil leak!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
So, one of my coworkers comes into my office and asks me if I have an oil leak. Not that I know of. Sure enough, there's a puddle right underneath the timing belt cover. A quick look and sure enough, dripping from the rubber seal.

I'm just assuming I'm pulling it all apart this weekend.

When it rains, it pours. :roll:

Mark

Assuming this is cam seals. Is this something I should tackle, or should I seek help? I guess while I have it apart, fresh belts can't hurt. Valve adjustment, for sure. Anything else I should consider while in there? Is it going to hurt to ride it until the weekend?

Thanks!

Mark

usually there's a crack in an old cam seal on the inside part ...I've had good luck ay turning the crack part to the top ...and they never leak again...of course i clean everything up nice and don't use goo ...also put some oil in the inside ring it helps the sealing

It's not very hard to do.

Before taking the belts off, crack the timing gear center bolts loose, one on each gear.
Line up the timing marks.
Loosen all the valve tappets completely (for safety).
Take the belts off.
Remove both cam gears.
Remove both cam gear rear plates.
Drive a screw into the seal (if needed) and pull out the seal.
Clean the seal surface very good and apply a smear of oil on the cam shaft seal and camshaft where the seal sits.

I think that covers it.

Oh one small detail, you might want to have the belts and seals before starting the job.

As far as riding it while leaking I think it will be ok since your changing the belts anyhow but I have to wonder why it suddenly started leaking. Wonder if the seal has backed away from it's seat. Happened to me.
I would pull that cover off and have a look where the oil is coming from. Could actually be the crank seal.
Once off you'll know what parts are needed and if the belts are getting oil on them.

Don't ride if oil is leaking on the belts! Engine oil will weaken the belts when they get warm! :help: (Don't ask me how I know :hihihi: )

I'll pull the covers off tonight and see what I can see. Stay tuned. OR not. :nea:

Mark

slabghost":skd8rquh said:
is it possible that maybe you overfilled with oil?

No, I don't think so. I did have to add about half a quart before the weekend and I just went out and checked. It's low again. I didn't pull the covers, but I can see where it has apparently leaked, even around the inside cover bolt on the left side. There is a fair amount of oil under there, so I'm not going to chance it. I'll pull it all apart this weekend and dig in. Might as well, I've been jonesing to get my hands dirty, I just hope I'm not in over my head. No time like the present to find out!! Sorry about the crappy pics. I tried.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC01026.JPG
    DSC01026.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01028.JPG
    DSC01028.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 146
Omega Man":2tvr7tf2 said:
mcgovern61":2tvr7tf2 said:
Don't ride if oil is leaking on the belts! Engine oil will weaken the belts when they get warm! :help: (Don't ask me how I know :hihihi: )
Your a fountain of "Don't ask me how I know." :smilie_happy:

~O~
Your not kidding! The best part about making mistakes or experiencing break downs is the ability to hopefully share that experience so others can either learn or prevent the same mistakes.......I just wish I didn't have so many "Experiences"! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

slabghost":iepf7sck said:
Is the bike on the center stand when you check your oil level?

My center stand it tweaked, so I block up the side stand so it's close to straight level and I don't fill it to the line to account for the slight off kilterness. I filled it back to the level it was at when I first brought her home.

I referred to the repair order when all the major work was done. Cam seals were replaced at that time. Like Dan said, maybe one worked away from it's seat, or it could be the crank seal. I'll find out this weekend. Gotta suck it up and ride it today, though. No choice. It didn't leak last night, though, but I also didn't lean it on it's side stand, I blocked it up. I'll see what it does at work today when I lean it on the side stand.

Mark

MarkB":2odlrarr said:
slabghost":2odlrarr said:

No, I don't think so. I did have to add about half a quart before the weekend and I just went out and checked. It's low again. I didn't pull the covers, but I can see where it has apparently leaked, even around the inside cover bolt on the left side. There is a fair amount of oil under there, so I'm not going to chance it. I'll pull it all apart this weekend and dig in. Might as well, I've been jonesing to get my hands dirty, I just hope I'm not in over my head. No time like the present to find out!! Sorry about the crappy pics. I tried.

Mark

You added 1/2 a quart and its low again:.....
Myself and others have found running this engine at the full line they tend to burn it down to near the add line then stay there. That's where I run mine and never have to add oil. I've never experienced any symptoms of or any problems leaving it at this level.

dan filipi":3gy3grnq said:
MarkB":3gy3grnq said:
slabghost":3gy3grnq said:

Mark

You added 1/2 a quart and its low again:.....
Myself and others have found running this engine at the full line they tend to burn it down to near the add line then stay there. That's where I run mine and never have to add oil. I've never experienced any symptoms of or any problems leaving it at this level.

Hmmm... OK then, maybe if the belts are dry, I can get away with just running the oil low. Good to know! I'm going to keep an eye on it, though.

Mark

Imma thinkin if it is the crank seal leaking, considering the way the sump is it could explain your leak when full but no leak when low.
Only way to know for sure is pull the covers. Might be able to see in well enough by removing just the left cover which I think is easier to remove than the right cover with the radiator in place.

In my experience don't trust what the dealer said was replaced especially since it's rather unusual to replace cam seals unless they were leaking. It's not a "normal maintenance" thing on these engines.

I rode it into work this morning and parked it on its side stand. I can see it from where I sit and there’s nary a drop underneath.

It had to leak the one day I parked it in our maintenance shop. I think it was intimidated by the ginormous forklift I parked it behind, not to mention the owner’s ginormous Monaco motorhome it was situated beside and all the other heavy equipment in there. I think it’s possible it just got scared and peed on the floor a little. At home, it lords it over the lawn mower and the weedeater, neither of which has so much as started since it took up residence in there.

It could happen.

Mark

MarkB":xva854dq said:
...it’s possible it just got scared and peed on the floor a little. At home, it lords it over the lawn mower and the weedeater, neither of which has so much as started since it took up residence in there.

It could happen.
Mark

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Sounds reasonable to me!

I think, if it were me, I'd clean the area off really well with brake cleaner, or something, and then ride it for a while. Then park, and check for leakage after sitting a while. If the front is cleaned first, it might make it easier to determine if/where the leak is...