Oh look! Progressive springs!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmonSTART

Reaction score
I'm replacing my fork seals in my '81 after blowing the right one on the way to Laconia this week, and I discovered I have progressive fork springs. Anyone know the fork oil recommendation with these in place, and PSI while you're at it?

Thanks!

Hello .Im new to this but i just put progressive springs in the forks of my wing and i dont know why i waited so long they are great and yes i used dextron 3 atf also .

I've got Progressive fork springs on deck to install in my 82 and have the springs and seals for the shock seal too. Just waiting for the time to install them. Basically got them so I could retain the air ride but have the Progressives in both ends in case of a leak. Supposedly can ride with no air.

When I put in my progressive springs, I went with 15wt fork oil. The ride felt over damped so I put in 10wt. I recently realized that the TRAC anti-dive was my actual problem. When I moved the TRAC setting from 3 to 1, the over damped feeling went away. Now it is under damped. I plan to go back to 15wt when I have the time. I figure without the fairing, I don't need the 20wt.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29244#p29244:161a3qtf said:
Andyb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:04 pm[/url]":161a3qtf]When I put in my progressive springs, I went with 15wt fork oil. The ride felt over damped so I put in 10wt. I recently realized that the TRAC anti-dive was my actual problem. When I moved the TRAC setting from 3 to 1, the over damped feeling went away. Now it is under damped. I plan to go back to 15wt when I have the time. I figure without the fairing, I don't need the 20wt.

How did it feel after returning to 20? I'm about to get progressive springs and they recommend 20. However, I also have no fairing.

I have a 1981 GL1100 and want to get the progressive springs for the forks- I saw some on Amazon for 69 bucks, and on the progressive site they were 90 something dollars. Problem is Amazon says the springs don't fit, Progressive site says they will. What is the correct part number and length of the spring needed??

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92403#p92403:2x9hgf14 said:
prs2xs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 am[/url]":2x9hgf14]
I saw some on Amazon for 69 bucks, and on the progressive site they were 90 something dollars. Problem is Amazon says the springs don't fit, Progressive site says they will. What is the correct part number and length of the spring needed??

If you were at the PS site, you have the part number. I'd be confident they know their stuff better than a retailer.
They fit a LOT of bikes with that one part number.

Part #1102 should fit the GL1100, they are the same rate (45/70#) as the set for the GL1000 (part#1100), but are 1/4 inch shorter. There should be piece of paper in the box with specs for the right spacer length (if needed) for your application.