Oil for clean out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before too long I'll be trying to fire up the motor on my donor bike. It has sat for a while but I have it turning freely. Changed the belts and adjusted the valves. I'm wanting to clean out the crankcase. Can I use any cheaper oil with some ATF for the process?

Mike

Probably pretty clean already, how was the oil that came out of it?, check the oil screen under the fuel pump for debris, if its clean then I would suspect you have little to worry about. I used a pint of Marvel Mystery oil the rest a heavy duty oil, use heavy duty oil(diesel rated) any others may contain additives and you don't want to contaminate the clutch plates, not sure what auto trans fluid has in it, probably OK since trans has clutches.
Think the first run in mine was 500 miles then a drain but I have a diesel car so I just saved it and used it to top off my car with.

Any oils labeled to increase mpg or say enhanced probably contain additives that do not play nice with wet clutches. But the answer is most definitely yes. Some of the cheap oils are recycled and may contain the unwanted additives. 1/5th of the oil can be ATF with no problem at all.

I dont think you have anything to worry about, these engines stay clean save for any debris and you would have found it in the screen. For me I would change the oil with a diesel rated or rotella and ride.