Oil leak behind timing belt cover.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydad

Reaction score
Hi All! I 've noticed lately that I've had an oil drip coming from the weep holes in my timing belt cover. It seems to get worse the warmer the bike is, I'll go for a ride and if I get out about 20 miles and stop and put the bike on the side stand, it has a pretty good drip out of the weep hole. I get home and put the bike on the center stand and the leak doesn't seem so bad. Tonight I loosened up my radiator and took the timing belt cover of to inspect. It looks likes the majority of the oil inside the cover is in the center area (would that be the crank seal?). I'm thinking I'll let the bike run without the cover tomorrow and see if I can actually see the oil leaking. Anyway my questions are these: Is there a tutoral for changing these seals? Should I change them all, cam and crank as a preventative maintenance move ? I used the Little Beaver tutoral to change my timing belts last year and that went great, I'm hoping the same sort of thing is available for cam and crank seals... Ok 1 more question: Can I change the seals just by picking them out? I saw on another post that someone had listed the cam seal part number, is the crank seal the same size? Thanks to all on this site who have helped me so much with my old Wing!

The crank seal is not the same size as the cam seals. The part numbers are 91201-371-005 for the crank seal, and 91209-371-003 for the cam seals. There is also a third cam seal on the rear of the left cam, behind the chrome cover, but the gasket will probably tear when you remove it. If there's no oil leaking from back there, I'd leave that one alone. You should be able to R&R the seals by pulling them out and pushing the new ones in. Enjoy!

Thanks for the part numbers Sreve , I called Napa today, ordered the parts, picked them up after work and I'll hopefully have everything done by the end of the weekend. I really let this leak slide for too long.