oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medcoman

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 goldwing standard
Hi gang
I'm getting oil coming from the water pump weep hole. Is there a seal on the water pump housing that needs replaced. Thanks Medcoman

This is a pump out repair.

I would first check if there's any play in the impeller shaft bearings.
This can be done by removing the lower radiator hose fitting from the engine.
Coolant needs to be drained to remove this fitting.

If there is play in the shaft then the pump should be rebuilt or replaced.

To do that the front cover has to be removed.
There are some O rings and a front cover gasket that need to be replaced when doing this job.

Thanks Dan
I had a bad engine and took the cover off and I see what you are talking about. Thanks again, Medcoman

Yes!!!! I just went through that, got a set off ebay and replaced all of the front tranny gaskets and "O" rings. nary a drop since. I suggest the replacement of all those seals and "O" rings, however the water pump "O" ring is probablu the culpret. An easy job takes about an hour. You have to drain the radiator and take it loose and drain the engine oil. I just removed the radiator mounting nuts and removed the bolts from the water pump inlet housing. Removed the water pump and the oil filter. Then I was ablr to remove the bolts holding the front tranny cover. Be careful to clean thecasketsurfaces real carefully. there are several smaller "O" rings rhat need to be carefully placed. I used a smaoo amount of grease to keep them in place whild reinstalling the cover. I thind there is a thresd here that covers this procedure. It is a relativly simple procedure, It has to be I did it :cheeky: :cheeky: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Thanks Toytender.
The info was great and will help alot. Medcoman