Oil

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
What's everyone using for oil in their Wings ?? Is there a big difference in running strictly motorcycle oil vs running regular motor oil ?? Have heard pros & cons both ways, I have been running regular 10w-40w and have not been having any problems. Am due for a oil change don't now if I want to change over to MC oil or stay with what I am using now.
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

I do so much experimenting with this mod or that I don't have time to think about which oil is going in.

I've run them all from MC $8 a qt. to the $1.49 qt. from the thrift store but I would say the best one has been Shell Rotella T 15/40. Walmart has it. It's about $13 a gallon.
The engine seems to run the quietest and shift the smoothest with it.

dan filipi":mlad9cep said:
I do so much experimenting with this mod or that I don't have time to think about which oil is going in.

I've run them all from MC $8 a qt. to the $1.49 qt. from the thrift store but I would say the best one has been Shell Rotella T 15/40. Walmart has it. It's about $13 a gallon.
The engine seems to run the quietest and shift the smoothest with it.
+1

Trying out the Delo LE 15w-40. Heard good things about it. Will have to see how the bike runs after a few miles. Runs about the same price as the Rotela.

chasrogers":g3ubtj5z said:
watch for clutch slipage that is a problem with some oil additives
I have to admit I do get some slip running certain auto oils but only under hard acceleration.
Nothing I can't live with.

Sounds good guys, have not had any slippage that I can tell :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

Just avoid oils that claim increased mileage or enhanced lubricity. Those additives will NOT play nice with the clutches.

slabghost":286mtxua said:
Just avoid oils that claim increased mileage or enhanced lubricity. Those additives will NOT play nice with the clutches.
That's the slip I'm referring to but it's really not a big deal imo and riding style. I have to really get on it to slip.
Far as I know no damage is being done.

When I first started riding I just used regular car oil in the bikes. Until I spent $15.000 on my 95 SE Then I started to use exclusivly Mobile 1 synthic @ the suggestions of some friends. They also suggested I put a quart of slick 50 in it. I did & luckly I had no clutch slippage. I only did it once.
Now as the price of oil has increased & so has the size of my motorecyle fleet. I'm back to using regular car oil. Works just fine for me.

Having been involved with other old Honda projects, the "Old Salts" swear by Shell Rotella-T, that's on the 750's, 900's etc... These engines all run alike, and I don't have enough experience with anything but Rotella, and that was based on hundreds and hundreds of people saying that's all they will use, (Delo works well also) so long as its the 15W40, and have talked to people who tested several types, and they say these are what the bikes cry out for. My Dad rides an 82 GL1100A and he runs motorcycle oil, has never complained, but I bet if he tried this, he would love it.