Ontario to BC - 1985 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203273#p203273:2fetfj8z said:
Ansimp » Today, 3:52 pm[/url]":2fetfj8z]
That sounds like a tps problem Ernest. My BA RTV has a similar fault and it is the accelerator reostat (fly by wire) which luckily throws a fault code so there isn’t any confusion.

My plan for tomorrow afternoon, early evening is to change the fuel pump - still think it's a bit lite on performance. I want to clean the throttle plates with carb cleaner as well. Gauges should be there so I'll be able to balance the cylinder banks, set the idle, and calibrate the TPS to suit.

Checked the TPS before I left, a bit high but not enough to get an error code on the ECU. Have a second TPS ready to use - as you mention may swap to see if there is a difference. I do know that if the TPS is out of calibration, there will be an error code on the ECU and the Fuel System light will be on, neither of which are an issue right now.

Will have a better idea of the engine performance after this work is done.

Cheers

You need to test the tps through its range of operation. It seems like it has moments of incorrect signal ( not smooth) which won’t necessarily throw a fault code.

Before I left for this short road trip if you can call 1600 km short, checked the TPS for calibration and smoothness a per the service manual. Checked out. Will change this one out and see if there is a difference.

Spent the last couple of days in Ottawa visiting with my friend of 39 years who is a wreck and in the hospital. Got to Ottawa on Monday afternoon, bike working as god as can be expected, quite well actually - 600 Km at 3900-4000 RPM, worked well. Parked in his driveway, used his car for the last couple of days.

Went out this morning, started right up, loaded the bike for the last leg back to my brother's place - 650 Kms or so, blew the main fuse on the starter solenoid, had put a 20 amp fuse in, headlight popped, and I'm showing almost 15 VDC on the dash voltmeter. Will be contemplating this on my way north. Strangest thing I've seen so far, and Friday - "D" day to the west coast is fast approaching.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203285#p203285:1w8ruya1 said:
Ansimp » Today, 12:57 am[/url]":1w8ruya1]
You need to test the tps through its range of operation. It seems like it has moments of incorrect signal ( not smooth) which won’t necessarily throw a fault code.

Tony - riding distance gives one time to think about issues, events and such. Already decided that the fuel pump is probably marginal because I do not get the gas tank air issue when I remove the gas cap as this is a 1200 idiosyncrasy.

With regard to the TPS, I do believe you have a good point. The TPS I have installed is an inexpensive knock off, not to say that other more expensive Civic TPS units would be better. Have been listening to the engine and find that when throttle is being applied, no engine stumble. When the throttle is reduced going downhill or even on flat running, there can be an engine stumble.

I have been thinking that the voltage to the ECU can be enough to satisfy the ECU logic circuit, but still cause an engine stumble as well. Happens so fast that the ECU doesn't recognize the issue as an error. The wiring I had to do to connect this TPS into the circuit could also be adding to the issue in that if these connections are not extremely tight fitting, a small vibration can cause a momentary loss of signal, or a reduced signal that can affect the system. I've already thought of a plan for the wiring, a bit of solder at the critical connections such as at the TPS.

I also think that the quality of the TPS comes into play and how open the throttle is. Could be a better, more consistent signal in the upper RPM ranges than in the lower. The signal could also be affected by how I have the rheostat arm modified to engage the throttle linkage. Lots of variables that I will be looking at.

Thanks. More to follow.

Cheers

...for the record, Ernest, I am truly jealous. Riding across Canada is a real bucket list item for me. I've done I10 and I40 (to Ocala, Florida and Hickory, NC respectively from Phoenix), but neither route is particularly scenic. In general, I dislike the superslabs - unless time is crunching.

Don't have an antenna right now! Everything has arrived that I need to do the go over for the trip west. Busy tonight and tomorrow, bike is not running too bad. Just put some 1600ish Kms on it since last Friday. Going to be a good ride. There is a loot to see in the prairies, but it would have to be planned. 4 lanes from the Manitoba border to BC. BC is going to be amazing, going the southern route.

Cheers

Hi Ernest, are you taking the Rodgers pass, I have driven it a few times and rode through it a couple times.... It is an amazing route.. Only slightly jealous. Sorry we could not meet during your trip, I had to eat that whole pie by myself... :yahoo:

Rode through Rogers Pass last year I think, it's a great ride. There was snow on the road side when I went through with my friends. Went up through the Kootenay's as well and over the Kootenay Pass. Great riding area.

Think I'll drop down through the Kootenay's again.

Good ride back to Larder Lake to my brother's place. Got the bike in the garage. Have installed new fuel pump, balanced the cylinder banks and checked TPS calibration. TPS is at 0.435 VDC, should be closer to 0.475 VDC. Will adjust tomorrow morning so it is in the 0.470 to 0.475 range. Did a check of the voltage change as the throttle is twisted, change in voltage was very smooth. Started the bike and checked the voltage against the RPM change and it was smooth as well. A small hesitation when first applying throttle.

The gauges I now have are very good. I think I prefer these to the Motion Pro manometer that I have in Victoria. Only need one set so will be selling the Motion Pro gauge when I get home.

Oil change needed as well. Noticed that the scraping sound has lessened such that it is almost gone. A few more Kms and it should be a thing of the past.

Not a lot left to do. Friday morning for west coast departure is looking good.

Cheers

Today was a good day all round. Cylinder banks balanced, idle set, TPS set at 0.475 VDC. Found some electrical issues, loose connectors. New fuel pump installed - had a look in the tank and there is a healthy return flow, better than before. Started it up and it is pretty good.

I also installed a 30 amp fuse in the wire going to the ignition switch considering what has transpired. In defense of doing this at this time is that there is no fuse in this circuit to protect it once the engine is started as designed by the OEM. Once the engine is started and the bike is running, the 30 amp fuse at the starter solenoid does not protect the electrical system because of how Honda has it wired, specifically the splice/bonding of the RR output wire(s) and the wire to the ignition switch.

Noticed a small drip out of the water pump weep hole - only just started. Can't do anything about it at this time, will monitor on the trip across. No indication of oil in the coolant tank.

Did an oil change and there appears to be no oil consumption, took out approximately 3 1/2 quarts plus the bit in the filter. Happy with this.

Had mentioned that the alternator was putting out over 15 VDC even got to 16 VDC and had the in dash voltmeter flashing away. The main fuse on the starter solenoid went and blew the headlight and the fuse for it - new headlight installed. In hindsight, noticed a couple of weeks back that the alternator was not coming on line as fast as when first installed. Now this. Have a new one coming on warranty.

Did go for a ride before I took the faulty alternator off. No engine hesitation or those sharp hesitations that I was experiencing. Good fuel supply is always a good thing.

Have started to load the bike for the trip, should be ready to go by 1100 tomorrow. Alternator should be in by 0900/0930 - doesn't take long to install or button up the fairing.

Looking forward to getting on the road. June's a good month to do a distance trip, lots of daylight.

Went in today to get a second trip permit and noticed the Kms on the safety I had to get. Put some 2200 Kms on the bike the last week. Gives me a good sense that the bike will be a good ride west.

Time to relax and finish packing for tomorrow.

Cheers

Thank you gentlemen. Going to be a good trip. Grateful that the alternator decided to pack it in here before I got on the road.

Going to try and be a photo bug as well. Bad habit of getting into a rhythm on the road and not stopping except for food and gas. I am finding this bike seat not too bad for comfort. The fellow who put a new cover on the seat and passenger backrest added extra foam as well.

The highway pegs
Highway Foot Peg.jpg
are quite comfortable as well, much better than the foot board type I have on the other bike.

Beautiful morning here in the north. Lovely sunrise, not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Lake is calm and smooth - a bit of mist hovering over the water, just like glass.
Departure Morning 2.jpg
Nice and cool northern morning as well. Good start to the journey.

Cheers

Great day for second day on the road. Had a late start yesterday, got on the road at 1200 and into Nipigon at 2100, some 800 Kms - made up for lost time, roads are quite good, in great shape and not too much construction. Here in Ontario, the roads are either being plowed in the winter or fixed in the summer. Bike ran pretty good, still some hiccups but overall good.

Bike started this morning, always a good sign. It's like the Forest Gump movie where life is like a box of chocolates, never know what you will get. Had mentioned previously that there was a drip out of the water pump weep hole, but nothing this morning, hope it stays that way.

My brother had mentioned that I should contact the PO as he had told my brother he did not expect this bike to ever see the road again, think I will. With some perseverance anything is possible.

Gas in the north is expensive and if you need premium you may not get it. Stopped at a couple of gas bars and only regular gas. You must fill up in Hearst for the 210 Km ride to Long Lac because there is nothing and iI mean nothing in between. I rode for miles without even seeing another vehicle. Lots of cell dead zones, this is where a CB would come in handy.

Took some photos:

Kapuskasing is a great little town noted for logging and pulp in the day. Here's the Hydro gen station:
Kap 1.jpg
Kap 2.jpg

Lots of towns have nice entrances. This is the one into Hearst:
Hearst.jpg
This one for Beardmore:
Beardmore.jpg

Time to get going. Will post later.

Cheers

Latest posts