Ontario to BC - 1985 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have two days to cover - yesterday was a busy one as was today.

Stayed in Nipigon and got on the road around 0730. Bike started and ran quite well. You can tell when these flat fours are peculating on all four cylinders. When one is off there is a bit of a flutter in the exhaust note. Doing these distance rides gives one time to really think about what is happening to their bike. I thought about the fuel system and how the fuel pressure regulator could affect the engine operation. Thought about the TPS as well. Fast forward a few miles and the engine started to stumble once more. Didn't get far before I decided to call it a day in Dryden. My plan was to look at the fuel system, take off the fuel pressure regulator and clean it. In doing this I found a vacuum hose that was split and barely on the fitting. Used some tube from the gauge set I have with me and some items from the local CDN Tire store. It did make a difference, not much and did not address the issue. Back to square one - need some more saddle time to contemplate my next move.

As for the ride, it was great. Long sweeping corners, and the scenery was quite nice. Day started off overcast and cool, but turned into a bit of a scorcher.

I remember back in the '80s when my parents were trying to make up their minds about living in Ontario or BC. Had moved them back to Ontario and was told by Father that this was their last move, it was June of '84. Fast forward to November and I get a phone call from Father asking me to meet them in Thunder bay and help with the drive west, so much for the last move. Flew into Thunder Bay with $10.00 in my pocket and they were 3 hours late. Thought of how I would get back to BC with the money I had. I did mention my displeasure to my Father. Good memories though.

I have some photos, trying to get some pictures for every day.

Morning at the hotel loomed very nice. Had morning coffee and a muffin at Tim's.
Nipigon 1.jpg

Can't go through Thunder Bay without stopping at the Terry Fox memorial:
Terry Fox 1.jpg
Terry Fox 3.jpg

From this lookout you get a nice view of the beginning of Thunder bay:
Thunder Bay 1.jpg

Cheers

Day 3 was a cool start. Was hoping it would stay this way but no joy in this respect. Turned into a 30 deg C day with a humidex of 35 deg C. Bike started well and I set off. Started to stumble fairly soon after leaving the hotel, so once on the highway up to around 4000 RPM and go. Ran fairly well at this speed. There were long sweeping corners and the roads are in great shape. Only had to slow down for one car on the route, a black and white of the OPP. Thought I'd stay in his rear until he decided to do something different.

Once again I had time to think about my next move to try and solve the issue of the engine stumble. The only item I had that I could change was the TPS, had a spare with me; however, I was not willing to stop and do the change too early in the day. Kept the bike operating in the 4000 RPM range where it wasn't too bad. Stopped just west of Winnipeg for coffee and pie. A the same time I browsed the net regarding TPS operation. Found a site that showed oscilloscope shots of a good and not so good TPS. The article mentioned that even thought the bad TPS did work, it was less than stellar. Took this information in, but decided to make the next leg to Brandon considering that going along at a good rate of speed was not too bad.

Got into Brandon Manitoba and almost moved on, but decided it was time to bite the bullet and change the TPS. Besides it was extremely hot and I was not in the mood for more heat.

Got me a ground floor room with an outside door and started work. Got the bike stripped down in 1/2 hour to TPS removal. Had to connect an OEM style connector to the new TPS, have the tools and connector with me to do this - doesn't everyone have these at the ready as well?

Installed the new TPS, calibrated it and the bike started - good sign. Put the bike back together and the total time spent was about two hours. Took longer to put it back together than to take it apart - running out of energy.

Took the bike out on the local side road at low speed and it worked well. Went on the highway for a 1 1/2 Km sprint and okay as well. Tomorrow will tell the tale. As an aside, if all is well I will report tomorrow night, and for Tony down under - you may have been right, but I am a contrarian so no I told you so.

Sonya, my other half in Victoria and pseudo route time/distance estimator has mentioned that I am 100 Km from the half way mark between larder Lake Ontario and the Tsawwassen ferry terminal outside Vancouver.

Have my cell phone linked to my Sena communicator and she phones me during the day - makes a good distraction. My brother phoned today. He thinks it's neat as well.

Mentioned I would have pictures daily. Didn't stop but did pass these two places of interest. the first is where the waters flow north instead of south and east:
Water flow north.jpg

This next is the longitudinal centre of Canada:
Centre of Canada.jpg

If all goes well with the bike tomorrow and it is behaving as a normal 1200 should, will get more driving pictures.

Enjoy. Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203419#p203419:2poqurh7 said:
dan filipi » 16 minutes ago[/url]":2poqurh7]
Hell of a ride I’m sure. Would be nice to be doing it with you.

More pictures!

All being equal and going well, will do!

Great progress Ernest, good to see that you are getting some real summer temps as well. Sitting in front of the fire enjoying your ride reports. :thanks:

Went out this morning, bike started and when I used the throttle, the bike did not stall. For the early model Honda Civic don't think there are too many choices out there. The body of the TPS can be modified to fit and work which is a plus.

Cool morning out there, some showers, but supposed to clear up. Nice riding weather.

Cheers

Have a couple of days to update the thread with.

Having not resolved the issue with the bike having a hard misfire by inspecting the fuel system and finding a vacuum line that needed to be replaced, I did the last bit of work I could which was replacing the TPS. Tony from down under had mentioned this a while back, but I thought it was the fuel system. So having stopped in Brandon, Manitoba for the afternoon/evening, I replaced the TPS. Did a calibration and the engine seemed to be working well. Only did a short road test, but it was promising.

Went for Breakfast and met a fellow who had come night before on his HD. He and his friend had left their home town a while back, travelled down the east coast, across the lower states and back up into Canada. Their home town is Rouyn-Noranda just into Quebec about 1/2 hour from my Mom and Brother's place in Larder Lake. He was surprised when I mentioned Larder Lake as he knows it as well. Small world.

Was on the road by 0700 and was very surprised. There was no hard misfire, and it was working quite well through all the rpm range. It took me a while to accept and trust how the bike was performing considering what had transpired. After a long road test of some 1220 Kms, I was cautiously optimistic that the issue had been resolved. The TPS is a key element in the FI system, as are all the other components, but the TPS symptoms can be related to the others as well. I intend to do a short post on the TPS itself.

Before I did the TPS change at the hotel, I had stopped at the local McDonald for a coffee and met a fellow there who had once owned an '84 Aspencade. He was very complimentary of these old bikes and he told me the reason he sold his some 20 or so years before was that the riding in Brandon is flat and straight. The only way to get some better/different riding was to go to BC or Ontario. I totally agree with him on this, not a lot of variety in Saskatchewan.

On to the road trip itself. The day started cool and overcast, but quickly turned sunny and a nice riding temperature, not the blistering heat from the day before. To get some Kms under foot so to speak and to test out the new TPS, I was riding with the RPM at around 3900, this seemed to be the best RPM for the engine before I changed out the TPS. Engine ran well, and there was no hard misfires. I was cautious as well when stopping because I had become used to having to keep the RPM high to prevent the engine from stalling, but this was not the case anymore.

First gas stop was in Whitewood, Manitoba. Small gas bar but the restaurant had coconut cream pie, always a sign of a fine dining establishment.

The only annoying part of the trip is that there are winds on the prairie, sometimes head on and mostly from the port beam. Having to deal with the wind makes for a less than enjoyable ride. Going from Calgary to Canmore was the worst as the cross winds were very severe. The wind also cost me in fuel economy, bucking up to 60 KPH winds works the bike and uses a lot of fuel.

I mentioned doing a 1220 Km road test, that is the distance from Brandon, Manitoba to Canmore, Alberta. It was quite easy to do with a four lane highway and a good road. Stopped 4 times as well for a minimum of 1/2 hour each time. The longest off road time was about an 1 1/2 hours in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan.

With the engine working well, getting some Kms behind me was easy, very welcome, and made riding the bike very enjoyable.

Took quite a few photos and here are the best of them.

Morning in Brandon, MB:
Comfort Inn 6.jpg

Found this at the front of the Inn. Commonwealth Air Training Museum. Canada did a lot of pilot training for other countries during WW2:
Comfort Inn 7.jpg
Comfort Inn 1.jpg

One of the planes that was used:
Comfort Inn 9.jpg
Comfort Inn 2.jpg

Made it to Saskatchewan:
Sask 1.jpg

The road is long and winding in Saskatchewan - not! :yahoo:
Long and winding road in Sask.jpg

Home of the Snowbirds, Moose Jaw Saskatchewan:
Moose Jaw Snow Birds 1.jpg

The town also has this gaudy moose as well. Not a good artistic presentation of the mighty moose, but it is big:
Moose Jaw Moose 2.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers

Attachments

• Silos 1.jpg
    Silos 1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 58
Finishing up day 4.

Salt miming is done in Saskatchewan. The Saskatchewan Mining and Minerals company has a mine in Chaplin:
Salt Mine In Sask.jpg

Going through the prairies would not be complete without a silo pic:
Silos 1.jpg

Calgary is a great town. Home of the world famous Calgary Stampede - never been - and the olympic ski jump just on the west side of town:
Olympic Ski Jump Calgary.jpg

Entering the mountains is always pleasant and to me a bit of a homecoming - love the mountains and the ocean:
Entering Mountains 5.jpg

That's all for now. Enjoy

Cheers

Day 5 - Last One

Had a good short stay in Canmore. Nice little town, but like everything in the Rockies, not inexpensive. Stayed at the Days Inn on its main street. The previous evening weather was rather crisp and this morning was the same as well. Decided that heated liner was the order of the day and I was correct. The mountains can be cool this time of year.

The bike started with no issues, idled up as it should, and when I twisted the throttle it did not stall – good sign.

Got on the road at about 0715 after a short stop at the local Shell station. Roads are very good in Alberta and through the National Park. Lots of road work when you enter BC as the province is working to have a four lane highway from Kamloops through to Alberta.

At one of the stops because of construction I was in behind a semi. I noticed that the fellow driving was trying to get my attention and have me move in front of him. I was appreciative of this because when we would get going again I would not be stuck behind him, but I would also like to think he was a rider as well, and since I was a small item to be seen he was looking out for me and my bike. Regardless of why, I was very appreciative of his kindness. Always a pleasant surprise when these things happen.

Going up through Roger's Pass there is still snow at road level, and it was cool and raining as well. Roger's Pass is at approximately 3400 metres, good for snow at this time of year.

Took the Coquahala from Kamloops into Hope BC. Good road and a reasonable speed limit of 120 KPH. I had been on this road many years ago and remembered there being a long downgrade into the town of Merritt. I was correct and it is 19 Kms long at a 6% grade. Fuel economy went way up for that short duration.

There was very little if any wind today and because of this, fuel economy returned to a normal usage rate. Using the travel computer, distance on a tank of fuel should be about 350 Km, not bad for an old girl. I think it will be better when I get everything sorted out when I get home.

Lots of stops on the way but mostly for gas. Been away from home for 7 weeks and it'll be nice to be back home.

Will be doing a wrap up of the trip noting some specifics such as how the Shinko Tourmaster tires are holding out. Started with 8 mm of tread depth on the rear tire, didn't do the front as the rear tire wear should provide an indication for front tire longevity. Mentioned I will be doing a post on the TPS. I also think a post/thread on how I managed to get the bike from a non-road worthy one to one that would take me around Ontario and out to BC – considerations and such. Thinking out loud here.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gerry - will be staying on this coast for a while. Have a car trip to Kamloops this coming week with Sonya and my sister. Sonya and I have an island trip planned for mid July - going to meander up to Port Hardy and back to Victoria. August is a wedding and end September a trip to Italy for 15 days. I'm certain there will be some short jaunts in between.

Now I have to think about next year.

Cheers

Day 5 Pictures as promised.

Canmore in the morning:
Canmore in the morning 2.jpg
They have animal crossings on the highway through the Park:
Animal crossing on Hwy 1 through the park.jpg
Lots of work has been done to twin the highway going through BC. Large cuts of rock have been removed:
Highway Cut.jpg
The mountains are still snow covered and very majestic:
Snow in the mountains 1.jpg
There are a lot of lakes throughout the Rockies, incredibly beautiful:
Mountain Lake 1.jpg
Mountain Lake 2.jpg
Stopped at a motorcycle museum but it is closed on Tuesdays:
Motorcycle Museum.jpg
Last photo of the day - bikes in the garage. The one on the right is the one from Ontario:
Bikes in the barn.jpg

Trust you have enjoyed the trip. Cheers

Latest posts