Over heated in Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194037#p194037:3ejoa2sy said:
brianinpa » Today, 1:31 pm[/url]":3ejoa2sy]
When I had this motor in the 81 there were a few times that I started it and I could have sworn I saw smoke coming out the left side of the motor. Today I looked the motor over and I think I found out what was causing it.

image.php

It appears someone had some hard times getting a starter in and wanted to make it easier. :head bang: All they did was create a mess.

I hope J-B Weld will be able to fix that.
Chas?

Well... it ain't pretty but it is functional!

image.php

When I got finished, I was able see exactly how deep the repair went, and also how far the engine case was ground away. What the :sensored: is wrong with some people that they would do this????

image.php

The entire O-ring was visible when the starter was installed before. Now it isn't.

When that was done, I finally got the motor put back together and got a chance to do some washing and scrubbing.

My thought Gerry, as I am not really sure, someone had problems getting a starter back in so they made it easier. I just never noticed until I had it on my work bench.

I am done with the cleaning and onto the painting. I really like the VHT Engine Enamel in Cast Aluminum. It is almost as close to original as I can find. First coat is on and I am off this weekend, so as long as the wife doesn't expect too much from me, I may get this thing completely painted and ready to install.

image.php

A nice thing about having torn apart several bikes/motors through the years, I have several spare chrome 6mm bolts, so I can just paint over the bad ones and then swap them out for something better later. Same thing with the valve and timing belt covers and the cam shaft covers :BigGrin:

Spares of everything looks kinda like an organised mess at best, but nothing better when your dealing with the fact, that not many new old stock parts are left at the dealers, to fix your scooter.

The motor is finished and ready to be installed. The frame... Well it needed a bath, so I put a rear wheel on it, rolled it outside so it could soak up some sun and gave it a bath. They look kind of happy sitting next to each other.

image.php

Now I wait for a carb rebuild kit... I have to make one complete carb rack out of two, so this should be fun. I currently have the 84's rack on the 87, but that rack has always had some issues. 33 mpg just isn't good enough, so I am using the rack from my 84 donor bike and whatever parts that are bad from the 87 rack. I've never done a multi-carb rebuild, so this should be fun. I am also going to try my hand at a do it yourself parts washer.

Latest posts