Picked up a "parts" bike today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
image.php

I picked up a 1980 "parts" bike today in Livermore for $100.00. I'm going to try and loosen up the engine and get in running to put in my other 1980. After I got home, I took the plugs out and shot some ATF in the cylinders. I will let that soak and later try to slowly move it by turning the crank bolt. Any other helpful hints?

Do not use the starter if it does turn unless you remove the rockers. Just in case there are some sticking valves.
Super nice deal there. :clapping:

I would pull the valve covers and watch the valves.
Only turn the engine in a clockwise (tightening) direction if your using the stator nut to turn it. The nut may just loosen up turning counterclockwise.
Front crank bolt would be better to use.

Slow and easy. Patience is your best friend, and it will be well worth taking your time. Any idea how long the bike sat? It looks good, like it's been indoors - no rust!

You might want to just remove the radiator first, the front crank bolt is hard to get to when the radiator is in, if not you can still get to it but I would put some cardboard on the radiator grills to keep them from getting damaged, the bolt you have to turn is pretty close to it.
Hopefully not too much atf, it will just run out the exhaust valve and into the pipes, will smoke much when started, better to use PB blaster and a long tube to reach inside, put it right on the cylinder walls and let it sit a few days.

I only put three squirts of ATF from an oil can in each cylinder. I haven't heard of PB blaster, but I will try it -- do you get it at auto parts stores? Fellow I got the bike from got it from his mom and said it had been in a storage unit. But other than that, no history known (or offered). :ahem: The last sticker on the license plate is 93.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136415#p136415:245n2447 said:
mjanderson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 am[/url]":245n2447]
I only put three squirts of ATF from an oil can in each cylinder. I haven't heard of PB blaster, but I will try it -- do you get it at auto parts stores? Fellow I got the bike from got it from his mom and said it had been in a storage unit. But other than that, no history known (or offered). :ahem: The last sticker on the license plate is 93.
Wal mart or wherever, I use a piece of #8 electrical wire and cut about a foot of sheathing off and use it as an extension tube by squeezing it onto the plastic tube that comes with the blaster. Think it was #8 maybe #10 but if you have some spare electrical wire around you can see what will work, also home depot or hardware store will sell a foot cheap.
Then when you cut it make it long enough that if dropped it wont disappear into the cylinder(I used some duct tape to secure both tubes together), then feed the tube into the plug hole till it reaches the piston press the button on the can and at the same time and with your other hand turn the tube and it will snake up and around the cylinder walls while spraying, slowly pulling the tube out so you coat from the piston to the head.