Poor running after cam-belt replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had what your experiencing, sleazy when I had the ignition 180 out. While replacing plug wires I got the coil pairs swapped.
Moved them to where they should be and all was good.
Wire to coil should be 4 3 2 1 when looking at the could sitting on the bike.
Could the 4 wires from the pickups have gotten swapped?
Would cause the same thing.

No, don't think so. Never had the wires off or unplugged the pulse generators. Also the plug wires are as you called them, left coil to 4 and 3, right coil to 2 and 1. And I do get spark at the right time, just not the right valve timing. Cyls 1 and 3 are dead at idle but will fire at higher RPM but lots of backfiring. Cyls 2 and 4 Left bank as you're sitting on the bike, run as the are supposed to.

ok im glad someone question me this is one of those times my memory is not working for me ....the timing dose set on t1 both sides ...i was kinda mixing valve adjustment and timing motor together in a bunch of info from garbage land ....

so if the timing is set right on t1 and both timing marks line up your good that way and i sorry.....so now were back to whats going on ...

from your last statement there it sounds like the valves have clashed with piston on that side .....honda like made the worst marks ever on a pully for setting timing ...like it was some kind of joke...as to how many would choose the wrong mark

Well, just did a compression test. (had to buy a tester). Anyways, no compression in #1 and 3. Both are dead. Will any year 1200 right side head work? ('84 -'87)

Sleazy Rider":1oxyte60 said:
Well, just did a compression test. (had to buy a tester). Anyways, no compression in #1 and 3. Both are dead. Will any year 1200 right side head work? ('84 -'87)
Should all be the same but I'd check the part numbers.

It happens....no one to blame but me, I'm the one who messed them up. Oh well, time to think about maybe buying a whole engine assembly. The other two cylinders (2 and 4) are only showing 90 -100 PSI compression, so they're pretty weak. Heads are probably getting "tired". Anyone know of a complete engine available?

Sleazy Rider":161skgf3 said:
I believe any year 1200 head will work but I would be inclined to replace the bent valve or valves since you already know what you have with this head. Used you don't know if your getting a head with good valves either.

Wow.... No compression.. That can't be good..But it was running fine before you said..I think you placed the belts on perfectly, you have done them many times..This is a bit puzzeling to me..How does it go from running fine before to this no compression stuff..I'd be scratching my head too..

thanks dan ...this was perfect ...now see if the cam is only off the mark it wil turn and probably wont hit the pistons but not run either ,,they will run one tooth off just not very good.....anyway this is a good video...i dont know whats up on yours ....

to check compression ...thottle open ...plugs out ...spin 10 seconds ...then read

if your motor is quiet in lower end and ran well before its a sound motor id say

it is somewhat hard to do belts right on a 1200 cause the added pressure of the hydro heads you cant releave ....

i have no way to evalueate your motor but its my guess its alright ....once the belt gets off enough its not going to have any compression to speak of and wront run

you have never spoke like you heard somthing hit during this thread so im saying it hasnt yet

please look at things good and carful before giving up :mrgreen: