Rare Honda 10 speed trans, only made these one year

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy put this up for sale about two years ago for 4800.00 He's still got it, I'm trying to out wait him, I don't know which one of us will die first, he ain't coming down fast enough. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: 1983 CB1000C - $3000
Phone (870) 312-0454/862-8450
Location El Dorado
Description This is a 10 speed, very fast and powerful, fun to ride and handles good, bike is dependable and road ready all it needs is a new owner
up_a98qha.jpg

Is this one of the models that has a high range and low range lever? I had this on a Honda trail bike. I don't think the bike is worth any more because of this feature. If it was super clean and low miles it would raise the value some but not that much.

Iirc the cb 900 and the 1000 had some models with this transmission.. but not all models... haven't seen one close up but think they have a range switch for the gears.. upper and lower.. not ten gears to shift thru straight.. I maybe wrong .. sorry about that if I am..

its quite the feature tho ... most bused this .. and blamed the trans ... isd sure like on use with sense its a great thing ...for a big bike its about the only one that had it ... shaft drive too .. this to me was honda at its best ...in one bike ... sure be neat if wings had thisoption it would be even better set up

Buddy o mine back home had a CB900 with the "Hi/Lo" range option....can't remember what year it was, but he did buy it new....it had to be somewhere around '79-'80... :moped:

I'm like joe, I'd love to have a double overdrive system on my 1200, I don't have any doubt that it could pull it. I've even thought about using an old brown & light two speed box on a trike build, I think it's doable.

The 80-83 cb900c and the 83 cb 1000 c had dual range trans, honda put the dual range in cause they used the goldwing shaft drive and needed to put in a transfer shaft to get power from left side of the inline motor, so they put the daul range trans in instead of just a 1-1 transfer shaft. I have a 81 cb 900 im working on now. Big heavy with pleanty of power dual range is great in low around town, running down the highway in high keeps rpms low. You can shift ranges at any time in any gear. Talked to a perspective buyer of my 900 about a local very clean cb1000c for $2500.

I took my '83 CB1000c on a 5,500 mile pacific coast loop from Omaha last summer. Loved that thing. Got a little thirsty though, running all out it seemed to starve for fuel supply a bit. If I was running up a mountain, into the wind, fully loaded at 70mph, I'd have to compensate for the starvation by using choke to dump more fuel into the carbs. Great bike...sold for $2,350 on E-bay this spring.