rear tire on front wheel?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgq700

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a 1200 front end assy on my 1980 beater and have a very nice dunlop 130/90/16 tire for a rear use, my question is, can i run this tire on the front and has anyone had a problem doing this? 99% of my riding is interstate at 70 to 80 mph, not much on curves!.. what do ya think?

10-4.. Thank's Dan I don't think it is good to reverse a tire on anything with a arrow! Never did it on my drag cars and i'm sure not going to do it on a bike at my age! Takes WAYY too long to heal

a guy gave me some tires , he owns 2 motor cycle dealerships , and the tires was took off , a couple of them say Harley Davidson on them , 16" and both of them say FRONT right on them . both looked like new , and STIFF , THICK tires , same size as the Rear on my 83 Aspencade , so I put one on it last fall ... I couldn't tell any difference at all. the truth is they are so stiff , as long as they didn't break away from the bead , I think they would hold up my bike with no Air in them....... :smilie_happy:

The one i put on yesterday is a dunlop 404 and it says rear on the tire, it is used but the fellow i got it from said it had under 1000 miles and looks new! It fit fine and tomorrow will start the test! Man it looks different with the fat 1200 front end and tire than the 1100 front looked! i don't like all the extra crap on the front brakes with the so called anti dive junk on the front end! i'll see if i can find a way to get rid of that stuff later.

i have never ridden a bike with it! Don't know if i will like it, however i do not like all the junk that is on the front brakes with it! I am Really old school and tend to like things that way! That is the reason i quit drag racing! throttle stops and delay boxes took away all the fun for me :roll:

I don't like the linked brakes on the GWs but I do like anti dive especially on my 87 Cbr 1000.

I had anti-dive on a 2006 GL 1800 and considered it an decently designed feature for a big heavy bike.
There are better aftermarket alternatives though like Traxxion Dynamics suspension packages which
work much better and don't utilize the Honda O.E.M. feature.

i did my 150 mile round trip today, first ride with the 1200 front end and the 404"rear" tire and it rode Bitchen! no track the ruts in the freeway or on the back roads! rides the same at 40 or 80 and never felt the anti dive so i guess the way i ride, it is no different on braking(no linked brakes on my 1980 bike) but the rear tire is just fine on the front in my world! :thanks:

So this is an 80 bike with an 83 motor and 1200 rear drive? You have definitely made this bike your own. Which carbs are you using? is this still a work in progress or the bike you're happy with long term?

and now a 84 1200 front end assy. home made intake and a stovebolt carter/weber carb. Now she is done,very happy with the old girl and have almost 30,000 miles on the combo now except the 1200 front and rear assy's that were just done. i think this is my favorite ever bike! glad i found this site or my old wing's would still be out back in the junk pile.