Removing surface rust from Chrome

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Best way I have found is with aluminum foil, Roll in a ball shiny side out and rub away, does a good job and won't scratch.

My better half uses white vinager and water on all if my rusty tools and stuff works prety good.
I can't find half of my rusty tools as they are soaking in a pan somewhere :head bang: and they
don't look like mine :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :eek:k: :eek:k:

I saw a really cool product that re-chromed even old pitted chrome on YouTube once, but I couldn't find it again. It was done in Jay Lenno's famous garage. I believe one of the guys here first posted the link.

~O~

Without a doubt, Naval Jelly. It is a corrosive so watch where you put it BUT if you can get the piece off and coated you just need to rinse it off with water and you will be surprised at HOW clean the chrome is. I did my daughters wheels on her bike years ago and my wife was stunned. She really thought we would have to replace them.

toytender01":2pkaexzl said:
My better half uses white vinager and water on all if my rusty tools and stuff works prety good.
I can't find half of my rusty tools as they are soaking in a pan somewhere :head bang: and they
don't look like mine :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :eek:k: :eek:k:

Then they got to be her tools if they don't look like yours :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

toytender01":3s51vhqx said:
She thinks they ar her tools. I keep finding them where she wants them and not where I left them, makes it hard to get the job done :sensored: :Doh2: :hihihi:
That's why my wife has her own toolbox. :whistling:

I've read where some have used oven cleaner to clean up rusted chrome exhaust. I've never tried in myself.

I find that a good roughing up with some 400 grit paper, a couple coats of self-etching primer and a final couple coats of gloss or semi gloss rattle can paint does wonders....and you don't have that shiny stuff that needs to be constantly polished...but hey, that's just me! :whistling:

Attachments

• IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 76