Reverse gear

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBH

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting another old Wing soon, and I believe that I want an Interstate with a reverse gear. What year did they start putting reverse on the Wing? I would also like a lower seat height than what my 81 has. Which models would you guys recommend?

The 1500 Goldwing is the first model with reverse, none of the 1000, 1100 or 1200 models had reverse.

I can't say on the seat height but I'd guess the '83 would sit lowest with it's 16" rear wheel.
We have many of the original Owners Manuals in the gallery which I think list the seat height.

if im thinking right the 1500 started out wih reverse gear in 88-89-90-91-92 i think and in 93 reverse was drop on the interstate model and you had to get higher grade 1500s to get it .... :mrgreen:

joedrum":29x8cyep said:
if im thinking right the 1500 started out wih reverse gear in 88-89-90-91-92 i think and in 93 reverse was drop on the interstate model and you had to get higher grade 1500s to get it .... :mrgreen:
in '88 and '89 there was no aspencade or interstate 1500. reverse was simply an option. in '90 there was an interstate, aspencade, and se and from then on only aspy's and se's had reverse. interstates and aspys have a solid color, se'shave twotone paint jobs. the seat on the interstate was made lower the on the other two modles to help you back it up. starting about '95 all wings got the lower seat. only an se has foot warmers

Im thinking with joe,I believe the reverse was standard on all 1500s,but then droped for a year or two with a stripped down(no reverse,no audio) interstate model that didnt sell well.
I have loaned out my goldwing book,but I am sure someone else will look it up in theres.Unless buzzerd already did,then that would make him right.

Thanks guys! I just researched the 1988 GL1500, and it does have reverse...but after looking at them, they look too big for me! I'll just stick with an 1100 or a 1200 and forget about the reverse. I'm still going to want the lowest seat, and either a Interstate or an Aspencade.

yes they are big i went riding with one a few weeks ago and my 83 surely out muscled it butit was a nice ride tho and the guy who was ridingit was on the smaller side ....it seem to handle pretty darn good in the corners too i was impressed and it out ran the harley that was with us too ...but was no match for my 83 at all ...it dose run well tho so did his 1500 it was mooth and quiet big time i wouldnt mind having one with reverse at all an 88 would be perfect for me if i could find one cheap enough ..but it would never be my main bike to big for nimble riding that the oldwings are great at :mrgreen:

From what I understand from my buddys that moved up to the 1500s,the seat height is lower,or at least feels that way.I understand they are very well balanced and are no trouble to keep upright,no more difficult than our 1100s.
The 1800s are even lighter and lower.

I am still rather fond of my old 1100 soI will take there word for it.The 11 is still better. :music:

Tory":2i916qtl said:
Im thinking with joe,I believe the reverse was standard on all 1500s,but then droped for a year or two with a stripped down(no reverse,no audio) interstate model that didnt sell well.
I have loaned out my goldwing book,but I am sure someone else will look it up in theres.Unless buzzerd already did,then that would make him right.
reverse was never dropped on the 1500 wing it was not avalable on 1500 interstate wings

Low profile tires will bring the seat height down. Shorter rear shocks will also. Raising the forks a bit in triples will too. Cutting down the seat itself will give you the most reduction for the least invested cost. 16" wheels are an option too just be careful not to lose leaning clearance.

a 1500 wing is heavier than a 1100 or 1200 wing. the 1500 is also wider so shorter legs are splayed more making it harder to move backwards. the wheelbase and overall legnth are longer on a 1500 wing than on an 1100 or 1200 wing and the 1500 corners much better than either and no scraping parts when leaned over and a better stiffer frame. i won't say a 1500 is faster than an 1100 or 1200 wing but regardless of how fast you are going there is plenty of power to get up and go without down shifting. my 1200 wing likes to be at 2200rpm or more the 1500 likes to be at 1000 rpm or more. and i just love that big wide see through barn door of a windshield it has, you'll want a vent in it. both rear shocks on 1100 and 1200 wings are air shocks while only the right shock on a 1500 wing holds air the left shock is conventional