seafoam /atf

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We highly recommend ATF(8oz. per tank)! We use Seafoam at first to start the cleaning process and then ATF in every tank there after. I'm sure ATF alone will help clean your system. Also, we have been using ATF in newer and older Wings w/o detriment to carb/engine parts.

~O~

I don't know what the atf does besides being a good safe cleaner but it seems to counteract the bad effects of ethanol, at least to some degree.
Nothing proven but judging by mine having sat for several months unriden with the same gas sitting in it, it will start right up.
By my experience and others here, atf is a win win mix.
Just don't overdue it imo. 8 oz to a full tank is plenty.

I don't agree.

First, what is it that you're trying to do? You don't say. You said, "Will it (ATF) damage my engine"?

Adding anything to your fuel will have consequences to your carbs and engine, both good or bad. Some additives have their benefits as they are specifically formulated to perform a particular task e.g., addressing Ethanol laced fuel, moisture issues, providing lubrication to mechanical carburetion etc. However, adding products like ATF, two-cycle oil etc., to fuel in order to obtain some type of benefit is a myth. ATF has its purpose but, it's not formulated to be used in fuel or a engine crankcase.

Do you want to use something on an on-going basis that will treat your fuel and provide some lubrication to your carbs? If that's what you're trying to do, STA-BIL Marine is a good product and is recommended by Randakk. However, if your carbs. are dirty and your performance is lacking, then pull your carbs and clean them. Pouring things into your tank in an effort to solve a problem is often short-term and one that won't work in the long run. Also, powerful fuel cleaners and additives such as Sea Foam, Cheveron Techron and others should be avoided. They can loosen crud in old fuel tanks and add to your problems.

ATF works well in your forks and automatic transmissions. But, for your fuel and carburetion, there are better fuel system cleaners, stabilizers and lubricity products available.

well it still has a big following here ...and proven to be good for oldwings ...with carbs ...with no downside reguardless what its made for ...atf mixed fuel has a looonnnnng history anyway ...about as long as the auto transmission

joedrum":2uu0kqzm said:
well it still has a big following here ...and proven to be good for oldwings ...with carbs ...with no downside reguardless what its made for ...atf mixed fuel has a looonnnnng history anyway ...about as long as the auto transmission
And WILL continue to have a following :mrgreen:

I use ATF in every motor I own both in the fuel and oil (every other oil change) Never a problem. For the oil I add 1/5th capacity of the oil. 4/5ths oil 1/5th ATF.

slabghost":2v0xkdx1 said:
I use ATF in every motor I own both in the fuel and oil (every other oil change) Never a problem. For the oil I add 1/5th capacity of the oil. 4/5ths oil 1/5th ATF.
Do you have any late model engines that you are using this mix in?

Ansimp":jbdaob5c said:
slabghost":jbdaob5c said:
Do you have any late model engines that you are using this mix in?
Most late model engines are programmed to "tolerate" the crap they're passing off as gasoline these days.
I'd be very picky about what I put in late model fuel tanks, especially anything with 02 sensors and catalytic converters. But a small dose of Dextron is good medicine for our carburated classic goldwings. I haven't had a fuel injected bike, so I can't really say one way or the other about those. But I don't see why it wouldn't do just as well.

I've been using it off and on in my 96 subaru for 10 years now. I don't always have a bottle handy on fill up .

I was actually interested in the engine oil mix and how that performs with the new mixes required in late model engines 05 plus.