secret handshake for single carb club?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ih8boats

Reaction score
HI guys iv had my progressive single installed for a little while now but just getting around to seeking out advise to coax out its full potential .anyway first off relay looking forward to sporting one of those nifty single carb club badges on my signature like you folks got iv got a few picts, not a lot during build hope these qualify me.
DSCF1365.JPG
DSCF1393.JPG
DSCF1395.JPG
DSCF1378.JPG

yes dan, manifold build for gl1200i its the type 3 vw plenum with stock 1100 manifold elbows 1-1/4 aluminum pipe nipples turned in lathe to fit in rubber 1" sch 40 aluminum pipe joining them contoured internally to better match each end with tom langdon's 32/32 progressive bolted on top. oh and i had to weld the vacuum port shut on the manifold because i cracked it trying to get a brass plug to seal. after initial fire ups and vacuum leak chasing ii ordered a few idle,main and air comp. jets i dont recall what exactly i have in there now but i know the 50 idle had me turn out 5 complete to get it to 1000 rpm smoothly,so i put a 60 in there and get the same results with only 3/4-1 full turn out from seated on the mixture screw. As far as performance it sure likes wot. into the secondary mid range cruising is ok, im guessing it gets around 33mpg combined city/highway. I dont know about my butt-dyno i need a second opinion sure wish some you guys lived closer.

Great guy to look up down there is joedrum. He's tweaked his weber extensively.Unfortunately he's out of contact for a bit. He's been living there in fla.

hmmmm im back home now ...have no idea where your at at in fla ..st james ...im east of orlando and close to where rocket are launched off ....sounds like your in the teething zone of dtf and oldwing mating ....

Hey Joe Saint James City is just west of Fort Myers and just a stones throw from Sanibel Island. yes teething is a good way to describe the pains im having on the gl1200 although the gl1100 I build for my wife starts and idles much better with same carb on a complete home fab manifold,Im at work now so I cant attaché picts but I will be turning wrenches this weekend it you care to watch all the carnage ill try to take photos/video.

yes ill help you all i can ...ytou gave me some good info already ...the 1200 is a different animal than 1000s and 1100s ...its a stroked longer 1100 basically and the motor pulls much harder on the carb than the shorter stroke 1000s and 1100s ....reality is here is that on my build with higher flowing heads and more aggressive cams than stock 1200 ...mine really flows more ..and idle circuit is way rich ...so the fact the two bikes act different is just what it is nothing wrong in the 1200 set up ...just more work to do to get matched good ....to be strait up ..its worth the effort to get right ..as it will go to the good side just as far as it is off now ...bike will be something else when right ...