Securing side panels against theft

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverado6x6

Reaction score
I own both a 95 Aspencade that was missing the right side battery cover, I decided to sneer at the ebay cotillion trying to hawk their inflated priced same panels and just bought a pair of Addon chrome panels, which imho look much better even without emblems.
And I have an 85 Interstate which is missing its left side battery cover, again its over $200 for that piece, I am making my own, screw the panel conglomeration.... :popcorn:

So after its been done and we have in some fashion acquired our body panels what would be an effective theft detterant?
Myself I may weld a nut to the frame on a tab and then get a stainless pan head anti tamper capscrew that goes through the panel, you must have a matching bit to remove said bolt, but I would rather have a clean look on the panel, so I am thinking outside the box, even so far as to have a remote cable release in the luggage.
Anyone have a better idea?
And just in case one of you panel scalpers are reading this your glory days will end, some folks like me are investing in 3d printers that can copy these parts in abs, and we may flood the market with affordable body parts, so there, I have had my say on that issue.

I`ll throw this out..
There is a product called cover savers, you affix them with epoxy to the inside of the covers then a lanyard is tied to the frame or other support.
Well what if instead of a lanyard you use a light duty cable like a throttle cable, Cut loop it through then crimp an eyelet, now you have a cover with a length of cable attached, slide some plastic sheathing onto the length of cables(for safety) then another loop measured halfway through the bike , If you do the identical thing to both sides you will have two cable eyelets that meet somewhere in the center and a small lock can be used to tie them together, or another way to lock is take one of those 3-4 tumbler bicycle type combo locks and cut the chain off and use the mechanism for a lightweight lock looping/crimping the eyelets through where the chain was cut. Not a big cable I know, but enough the average opportunist may leave it alone once they realize there is work involved.
No idea on the logistics of it..It just came to mind.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97380#p97380:emr91you said:
Silverado6x6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 am[/url]":emr91you]
And just in case one of you panel scalpers are reading this your glory days will end, some folks like me are investing in 3d printers that can copy these parts in abs, and we may flood the market with affordable body parts, so there, I have had my say on that issue.

Yep, and we will be the first ones to buy your parts!!

Most battery covers have been lost by not reinstalling correctly. The Rats Nests right side cove was missing one pin and that flew off the first time my brother Kim rode it at speed. A trusty cable tie drilled through the original pin mount base know avoids the flying cover scenario and allows enough movement to air up the rear suspension. Hang in there on the second hand covers as I eventually got mine on eBay for $50 for the pair ( one broken pin) the right colour and te only downside was $40 shipping from Canada to CA...

The AddOn side covers I bought new from Ebay fit my 95 GL1500 perfectly, even came with new correct grommets. They are of course solid chrome, but a person can just wet sand them and paint them, both sides were still less than half the price of just one right side cover.

Now I just wish AddOn was selling the same set of covers for the GL1200.

The cable lanyard ide is sound, just have to use a very good grade of a plastic epoxy on the backside, but if the thieves try too hard to yank one off it will break the panel so I think more of a lock would be the idea, or just attaching a fake lock on each cover, they make simulated lock covers, just peel off the sticky back and apply. Now me being a diabolical genius or as my friends call me a Tony Stark type of mechanic I would wire a pressure activated stun gun pair of contacts behind where you would try to pull panel off. Or simply an alarm.

I just bought RH sidecover from eBay. $25 shipped.
(Because I cut up the one I had to accomodate mounting for the sidecar.)

I bought a complete set of CRF50 plastics for my son's Z50R.
That is front/rear fenders, number plate, fuel tank shrouds.
5 piece for only $20 shipped!

Are they mass produced?
It seems this "pit bike" thing is really popular.
But still, why so inexpensive?