Servicing final drive, lithium grease or moly paste?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratocat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a new rear tire and while the rear wheel is off I want to clean and regrease the gears of the final drive. I read in the Honda manual to use lithium based multi purpose NLGI No.2 grease, but I also rread online to use Honda moly paste 60. Which one should I use and how much do I Need. :headscratch:

the molly 60 cost a fortune and ive never used it but they its better ....i just use greesse myself the molly like paisr somewhat and is thicker if you gor the funds its probably best .... :mrgreen:

I used the Honda Moly 60 Paste when I did mine. I got it from the Honda shop by me it was about $9.00 bucks for a tube but the service guys never heard of it and they said they use Yamaha Grizzly grease when they do final drives.
I don't know that much about grease and I heard the Moloy 60 paste is the best and I don't like taking my wheel off so that's why I went that way. :)
If the manual says to use lithium based multi purpose NLGI No.2 grease it has to be OK.

Moly 60... Period... The only stuff that's not going to get hot and start to fly off... The moly bonds to the metal and is there 100 percent of the time. If your Honda shop say's they never heard of it?.. it's time to go somewhere else... $9.00 is less than replacing your entire rear drive... HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE.. Buy it.. Use it. Cyclemax Ohio now carries this grease.

toytender01":22fa06pi said:
Now let me see, where dit i put that grease so i would know exactly where it is?????? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Ok, I admit it I now have two tubes of moly 60 neither of which I know exactly where is..
:Doh2: :nea: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy:

thewhiterhino":2m97nwkr said:
toytender01":2m97nwkr said:
Now let me see, where dit i put that grease so i would know exactly where it is?????? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Ok, I admit it I now have two tubes of moly 60 neither of which I know exactly where is..
:Doh2: :nea: :Egyptian: :smilie_happy:
Well, foget about it for awhile.... bet you walk right up on those two tubes of moly then.! let them find YOU...

I'm not really sure where using Moly requirement came from.
The 80-83 Honda service manual says to use Lithium Multi Purpose.
I have to pull mine for a new tire and I think that's what I'll use this time.

image.php

king1":39i5zzp1 said:
Moly 60... Period... The only stuff that's not going to get hot and start to fly off... The moly bonds to the metal and is there 100 percent of the time. If your Honda shop say's they never heard of it?.. it's time to go somewhere else... $9.00 is less than replacing your entire rear drive... HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE.. Buy it.. Use it. Cyclemax Ohio now carries this grease.

Maybe I have been puttin too much, but mine has been done twice and the moly 60 comes out and gets on everything... Or maybe its the riding at over 100 degrees for hours on end and the heat thins it down???
Anybody else had the slinging experience?

That could be gear oil, might be a bad seal in there.

I've had the same problem, it smells like gear oil.

What I have noticed with moly 60 is every time I pull the wheel there's no trace of it.
Even the last time I put plenty on, as if it evaporated :idea:

I might get to pulling mine this afternoon, it will be interesting to see.

I use the lithium based #2 (that also happens to be the same as waterproof grease used in boat trailer wheels) and when I pulled my rear last November to replace my tire, there was plenty of grease still in there and no slinging.

Recommended Grease ....NLGI-2 or equivalent lithium-based multi purpose grease with molybdenum disulfide additive[Mos2] :shock: ...I used the Honda moly paste because it looked just like what was in the gears originally..super thick...and yes I must have put too much in the wheel gear area because it was coming out all over the rim and tire... :shock: thanks to my handy dandy platform, clean up was simple sitting on my rolling stool.. Oh hey guy's here's a trick I would like to share with you, when I remove my rear wheel, I just put a floor jack under the wheel to hold it where I want it, it makes your whole life much better, also to raise it up..it's my helper.. :smilie_happy: laugh go ahead..it works for me.. :smilie_happy:

dan filipi":1bgrs1xr said:

image.php
Whoa.! overkill on the moly..... a lighter coating while using a brush is all it should need. And brake cleaner is about the only effective cleaner to use "Before" you apply new moly. moly is tuff.. it stays where you put it.

Okay, I did the rear tire swap myself over the last 2 days....Honda shop guy must think I'm real pretty cause he tries to screw me every time I go in there...2 things, he wanted 10.95 for the moly and $25.00 to mount the new tire....local car tire shop did it for $11.62 (tire disposal fee set by state and tax) Harbor Freight for the Moly, $3.69....next trick...timing belts, valve adjust, and oilchange/ :heat: Oh yeah, I was getting the tire rub thing also....appears to be to me that when the tire gets old it kinda flattens out and rubs on th brake support thingy, new tire same size has lots o' room

king1":4aynr2rq said:
dan filipi":4aynr2rq said:
OK.. paddy... But thier was a d--n good reason i reccommended you use "Honda Moly 60 Paste".!... And not the "Harbor Freight" stuff.... Quote: the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price.! good luck... :roll:

image.php
Whoa.! overkill on the moly..... a lighter coating while using a brush is all it should need. And brake cleaner is about the only effective cleaner to use "Before" you apply new moly. moly is tuff.. it stays where you put it.

I'm an industrial mechanic.....we use the Lithium for high rpm stuff......3750...I checked the "cheap stuff" thoroughly before I put it on...Moly (60%) and a smattering of graphite......same stuff that My Honda shop wanted lots for....I know not to go over board greasing things for sling factor.....and....I did not intend to offend, that being said I'm Irish...I'm already lucky enough! :mischief:

Paddy.. i dont professs to be anything more than a person who abides by what the engineers reccomend that were capable of building such a fine machine as the Goldwing.. I too mean not to offend.. but i understand that manufactuer specifications and the use of them are important... And through reading tons of posts on forums such as this. Has proved to me, that walking around a dollar just to save a dime just creates another problem. been there, done that... And personaly, i could have prevented it.... My only intent is to offer help to fellow classic Goldwing owners with info that is going to help them maintain thier goldwings through the use of information set forth in publications from Mother Honda... for example, the 500 page tech manual... Respecfully, Knowbuddy :salute: