Setting float level without float level gauge?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt the carbs last fall because of flooding issues. I got the best gas mileage ever the first trip after the rebuild. Then the flooding began again. Usually at the start of a trip, but then suddenly it would start running great again. Leading me to believe a needle/seat is not closing properly. Why it ran so well the first time out is a mystery.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208403#p208403:3om6g2ea said:
Lawrence954 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm[/url]":3om6g2ea]
I rebuilt the carbs last fall because of flooding issues. I got the best gas mileage ever the first trip after the rebuild. Then the flooding began again. Usually at the start of a trip, but then suddenly it would start running great again. Leading me to believe a needle/seat is not closing properly. Why it ran so well the first time out is a mystery.
I found a couple float valves on my CB750F carbs (VERY similar CV carbs to those on the GL1000) with burrs that kept them from seating if they just happened to catch on them. Hopefully all of the dressing that I've done to them will prevent further problems. They seem to be behaving now. Another thing that can cause this is trash in the seats. Even with tank strainers and in-line filters, I'm a believer in Honda's float valve filters. Wish you could buy just those.