Single Carb question...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
from way out in left field... :mrgreen:
Lots of youse guys have made the swap, and seem to be liking it, tho it appears some adjustments have to be made, which is understandable...there will be no "one size fits all" kinda deal on these.
I have been watching, and reading....I'll prolly never attempt the change to a single, mostly because I'm just to dang lazy. Anyway...I wuz wondering....how does the single set-up do in the twisties, when yer laying that thing over and grindin the bottoms of case guards off?
Is there gunna be an issue with fuel sloshing out of the bowl?
Will it starve for fuel for a split second or so if the jets/tubes get uncovered?
Is it a non-issue?

Just wonderin... :mrgreen:

I haven't noticed any problem at all.

The way I see it, centrifugal force in a lean is such that gas level height is kept close to riding straight and even if the gas does move to one side of the bowl there is plenty in the bowl so it doesn't starve for gas but low enough it can't slosh out.

Considering a car running a carb doesn't have the lean advatage in a turn and no gas sloshes out, I think this is a non issue.

well I think wing heads are going to limit this to a point it don't matter ... but most of us joel I don't think are going to be there with our wings laid over to max ...I am not a corner carver enough to find out or test that to say the least :smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :hihihi:
I agree....most Wingers don't/won't lay them that far over...at least not on purpose. It was just a question that came up while I was perusing the threads. Got me wonderin if there would be a problem if runnin the Dragon or something like that. :heat:

I believe it will be an issue Joel as a car does not lean to the same effects ( 4 wheels) if you are truly riding the twisties. Range Rover with SU carbies where always able to outperform other 4 wheels drives on steep slopes and side slopes. It is not too much of an issue when it is only momentary but can become a problem if in constant serious off-road conditions. I can remember on some carbies running extended breather tubes on the bowl vents to minimize this effect. Fuel injection eliminated these inclined flooding/starving situations. If we get Dan to retrace some of my trip through Yosemite or the PCH it should let us know if it is a problem with the Goldwing conversion. ( I was thinking what a great excuse to have the October meet in Reno, Randy could come the long way and meet up with you guys in LA for the trip north)

Off road in a 4 wheeler climbing at slow speeds at all different angles and a 2 wheel motorcycle in the twisties at even a moderate speed are 2 entirely different situations.

In that last ride I did from Ventura down pch then mulholland, I scraped the pegs a few times both in switchbacks and long sweeping turns.

This concern over the carb leaning to me, is a non issue.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104381#p104381:35mvpuzt said:
dan filipi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:18 pm[/url]":35mvpuzt]
Off road in a 4 wheeler climbing at slow speeds at all different angles and a 2 wheel motorcycle in the twisties at even a moderate speed are 2 entirely different situations.

In that last ride I did from Ventura down pch then mulholland, I scraped the pegs a few times both in switchbacks and long sweeping turns.

This concern over the carb leaning to me, is a non issue.
:good: +1 absolutely.