speedo interchangeability

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeansZG

Reaction score
Is the speedometer for an '83 Interstate the same as an '81 Interstate?
My speedo went fubar on the way home from work yesterday, but the odo still works.
Found a speedo from an '83 at one of the local salvage yards & before I purchase it was wondering if it'll work.
Thanks in advance!
-DeansZG-

I'm not sure what calibrates the difference in tire size if it's a different ratio in the Speedo or at the wheel so the 83 might read the wrong speed right off but it will mount and hook up to the cable.

The 83 also has 2 extra wires coming out of it for the self cancel signals. On your 81 you wouldn't use those.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99619#p99619:1k3p07j0 said:
dan filipi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 pm[/url]":1k3p07j0]
I'm not sure what calibrates the difference in tire size if it's a different ratio in the Speedo or at the wheel so the 83 might read the wrong speed right off but it will mount and hook up to the cable.

The 83 also has 2 extra wires coming out of it for the self cancel signals. On your 81 you wouldn't use those.

Thanks for the info!