Stebel Nautilus Horn-Installation on 1983 GL 1100A

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wichita Scorpion

Reaction score
The cheapest price I could find for a Stebel Chrome Horn was $54.94 including shipping. I do not feel that the chrome is worth the extra money over the black horn. I found that the chrome on the plastic parts is soft, very thin, and scratches easily.

The horn from Bikerhiway.com comes with a wiring kit included.
1. Connect the fuse to the positive post of the battery, output of the fuse to the input of the relay, output of the relay to the + (positive) connection on the horn.
2. Connect the - (negative) connection on the horn to the bike frame bolt hole below the Bracket Mounting bolt.
3. Extend the OEM horn wires and connect to the coil on the relay.

The horn will just barley fit in the area behind the Left Lower Fairing.
Mounting bracket: A flat piece of metal that I had laying around. The holes are about five inches apart. I elongated the bike frame mount hole with a round file (see note below). I notched the bracket so the lower bolt hole could be used as a ground connection for the - (negative) connection to the horn. If a narrower piece of metal is used the notch won't be needed. I had to bend the bracket slightly about one inch from each end (opposite directions) and a slight curve bend about the center around the back of the horn. With the bracket mounted on the horn, the unit will have to be slipped in at an angle to clear the bike frame. It will fit without force.
Note: When tightening the mounting bolt, watch the panel in front of the driver left knee and make sure that the horn doesn't push the panel out. The Lower Fairing Panel won't fit without pressure if the horn is holding the panel toward the driver left knee area. (Don't ask How I know)

Notice the yellow color on the lip around where the sound comes out of the horn. Comments are not required, yellow trim cement is just all I had to use. A clear cement will look better. We have dirt daubers out here around the lake. In the summer they build mud nest under the deck, under the hood of the cars and just inside openings like on the horn. We also have an extra small bee that will build inside the ground plug on electrical outlets on the deck and in tube type wind chimes. I used a nylon window screen material to cover the air intake and sound output openings.

Before you honk this horn, be sure that you WARN YOUR WIFE, tie the dog, send the cats to the back bedroom, and stand on the opposite side of the bike.

Feel free to contact me with questions or comments.

Horn %26 Mounting Bracket, writing.jpg

Horn Mounted, Trimed, Writing.jpg

Horn Finished 4.5x6.jpg

I used the same horn, but mounted mine up front, in place of one of the pie-pan horns. I drilled out the threads on the bracket where the original horn bolted up, and the Nautilus fit perfectly, with no clearance issues. :builder:
I considered mounting it behind the lower, but I wanted it out front, so it could be heard.(No problem with that, for sure!)
I've definitely made a few folks wake up/spill coffee/get off phones, and generally poop their pants...which is really what I was going for anyway! :smilie_happy:
I'm going to attempt for the third time today to post the short video clip of mine blasting away...hope it works...
Ya'll let me know if it don't... :read:

[video]https://vid77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/aapple2/video/video001.mp4[/video]

I just installed a Stebel Nautilus in my Vetter Faring. According to the instructions, it is actually a car horn that is supposed to be mounted behind a bumper guard, but not where it will be continuosly splashed. I did not have the materials handy to make a bracket plus I have a Vetter faring. I tried it inside the faring, but the sound gets lost (still pretty loud though). Next I installed it between the triple tree and the faring wall. It fit perfect! (Pictures coming, waiting on daylight!) Gave it a try and it will knock your socks off!!!! :whip: :yahoo:

I realize now how bad my old horns were. The diaphrams must be rusty because when I hit the horn button, they drain the battery, dim the lights and sound puny. The Stebel is wired to the battery with a relay and it doesn't even make the battery flinch!! This is a great investment and I recommend anyone that wishes to upgrade, the Stebel Nautilus is the way to go (and it's cheap!)

I bought the bad boy made by WOLO.. similar shape and size.. it is mounted behind the left lower in about the same place.. I just drilled down thru the metal heat flashing/shield and ran a bolt down into the mounting bracket from the top..
wired the same way and the relay is mouted to the front in old frame holes...

Here is the installation in my Vetter faring:

Attachments

• Stebel 3.JPG
    Stebel 3.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Stebel 2.JPG
    Stebel 2.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Stebel 1.JPG
    Stebel 1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 131