Strange Feelings (Long read, sorry folks feeling a touch wordy today)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flinx

Reaction score
It's strange to be feeling 2 separate and opposite emotions at the same time.

It all started about 2 months ago, the wife looked at me (while I was working on the goat aka my GoldWing) and said "Don't you think it's time you retired that old bike and got something newer?"

"Well, no not really." I says, "This one is just starting to get broke in (58600 or so on the odo)"

"No, really I think it's time you got something easier to ride on in the city", right about there I started getting a bit suspicious, "You know something that you don't have putter with everytime before we go out for a ride."

"But I like puttering around with my Goat. Gives me something to tinker with", admittedly I do check a few things more often then needed BUT not everytime before we ride. Thats when the wife cheated, how did she cheat you ask?

"Yes, I know you do but why not just take a few rides to the local shops and see just what they happen to have laying around, who knows you may find a new piece for your bike" I'm sure all of you out there see just how she cheated now, who can resist shopping for new stuff for our bike?

At this point I gave in, "Fine but lets do it right and hit a few of the shops in the towns and such near here and not just the ones inside the city."

So for the next few weeks we tended to hit just about every bike shop and dealership within 2hrs of where we live.

Last week we were about to head out on a random ride and she says to me out of the blue, "I want to go to the dealership that Bubba (yes thats really his name) talked about last night at Tim Hortons"

I agreed (it was a random ride after all) and away we went. Here is where it gets complicated.
Walked into the dealership and saw this
I hate to say it but it was love at first sight, then I realized that I would have to sell my Wing because I couldn't afford to keep insurance on 2 bikes plus I just don't have enough space to park them both.
As I and the better half are looking around the showroom floor I kept coming back to this blue VStar and just looking for a minute or so. About the 3rd ok ok 5th or maybe the 8th time I do this she sneaks up on me saying "I love that color and that seat looks sorta comfy."

"Yeah that blue sure does look nice and really stands out but you know that seat isn't going to be nearly as comfortable as our Saddleman."

A salesman (Paul) had also snuck up on me (don't you just hate it when you get snuck up on?), "Why not sit on it a bit and see how it feels?" he says.

I think to myself can't hurt can it? So Paul pushes it out away from the other bikes beside it (wow, when did they get there? those other 2 bikes couldn't have been there all along, could they?) and I take a seat on it, after a minute or so I have my wife get up behind me.
"Well this seat isn't too bad after all, not like the seat on my wing of course but not bad, wonder how it is going down the road?" I thought I had said that too just myself, turns out I had said it out loud (gotta hate it when the inside voice gets confused with the outside voice).

"So why not take it for a test ride then and see for yourself?" says Paul.

I knew I should say no not today, I should think about this some more but said instead, "OK when could we setup a test ride?"

"Why not now? The weather is great, sun is shining so you can take a really good look at her in right bright sunlight"

Don't know what came over me but I declined saying "Hmm not today, my left knee is feeling a bit tricky today and I don't want to take the chance of dropping a brand new bike if my leg gives out at a stop." On the Wing I don't have to worry about that, front and back crash bars plus I know how to balance that bike with my bad leg, can't say the same for another bike which I pointed out to both Paul and my better half when she started to comment that I was already riding that day.

So those two get their heads together and start comparing calendars while I pushed the bike back where I first saw it and they decided that sept 27 was going to be the perfect day for a test ride if the weather cooperated. Wait a sec, don't I get a say in this I was thinking, she knows me way too well and starts walking out the door.

We got home and talked about it a fair bit over the next few days.
Her:
-We can afford it.
-I love the color, it's goes with both my helmet and jacket.
-I can get on and off of it easier, I'm starting to have a very tough time doing that with the Goat (Again she cheated, yeah she has a cpl of health issues, not life threatening but enough to make it fairly painful to do things like getting off or on a taller bike). So we can go for more rides and longer rides. Well that kinda got me wondering just how much pain I was causing her with a tallish bike :( So I asked.
That just about decided me right there, much as I love my Wing I love my Wife much more.

So the 27nth rolled around and both of us went to the dealership, me on my baby (that was my last ride on her, I sorta knew it as I was wandering about on the way there) and my wife in our car. I guess she knew too because not once did she try and hurry me up and use a more direct route.
Paul had the VStar all gassed up, polished and the dealerplate on her ready for the test ride. Instructed me on what route the dealership usually used but told me to "take your time, make wrong turn or three, just be back in 15 or 20 minutes so the my Boss doesn't wonder whats going on."

Like I said it was love at first sight, I wanted not to like the bike, I really did but 5 minutes into the ride I just knew that this one and I were going to get to know each other very well. 12 to 15 minutes went by before I knew it and I was pulling back into the dealership with a HUGE grin on my face, good thing I wear a fullface helmet.

Paul had gone back inside but my wife was still outside when I pulled in.
"So, what do you think?"
"I like it, feels good. Nice smooth ride, seats not bad, not great but not bad."
"So?"
Off comes my helmet onto the VStar's seat.
"She's mine."
"Glad to hear that", Paul says from behind me. How do people just keep sneaking up on me?
A lot of paperwork later and a bank draft leads to this picture right here.

I am now the proud owner of a 2010 VStar 1300 tourer.
160kms later, both 2up and 1up, I'm even more impressed with this bike then I was when I bought it 2 days ago, it's raining again or there would more on it and I wouldn't be here typing.

So where does the Topic title and the sentence come in you ask?
Right here. I love my new VStar and I'm glad I got her (still working on her name). I miss my OldWing the Goat and really sad I had to trade her in.
Just how does one feel both happy and sad, miss the old bike but can't wait to jump back on the new bike at the same time?
I can't tell you that but I can tell you it can happen.

I'm sure going to miss this site, probably pop in every once in awhile still if only to see what new and wacky things LittleBeaver has been up too LOL.

I'm glad that you and the Mrs. are happy with the deal and the new bike. I'll stick with my old iron. I'm allergic to payments of any kind.

Well I'm jealous.... :rant: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Maybe sometime, I'll write the story of me getting my Nomad, that involved my wife too. I found that I was riding the goldwing more than the Nomad, I enjoyed the feel of the height, you sit higher, I like that..I like how it shifts, I like it in curves, I sold my Nomad...If I ever get a new bike, it will be another 1100.. You don't have to leave the site just because you bought different bike or is that in some rule book...???

I Know how the mixed feelings are...I am mixed about getting tid of my 80 as I kneed the funds for a 91 1500I that belonged to my brother- in- law. We used to ride togather when he would come to visit. Spent many miles enjoying the California foothills. So when he passed and no one in the family wanted the bike, I coulden't let some stranger git the deal so I told my sister I would take it. That means the 1100 has to go in order to finance the deal. Now I have owned a 79 Interstate that I liked very much and let it go and was very sad to see it go. I turnde all my attention to the dirt bikes and still longed for the road...Finaly 2 years ago I made a very bad trade for the 80....I gave a 95 Ford F 350 Super cab dually for it. Now the truck was worth 3 times the bike, The truck was replaced earlier with a 99 F-350 super cab 4X4 and I diden't need 2 trucks, was always having people asking to borrow it so had to keep it insured asn registered and gased. You know people who borrow things that require gas never seam to put gas back in and arenot careful with them, so it was costing a lot to keep a loaner. so I saved a bungh of mony there (Back to the subject) Any way We swapped titles and were both happy. Put a lit of miles on the 80 and love tinkering with it still "BUT" in this case I have backup actually 2 backups.
I habe 2 82 1100I's One near running and the other has become a parts bike. So still into the classics. Now about the 91, while I was in Oregon working on my sisters place I took many short rides trrough the countryside and have fallen in love with the bike. Will be good for the wife and i to do some touring. The first trip will be solo as the wife and I have always agreed that NO passenger should be carried on a new bipe untill the driver has 500 miles experience on the new bike. For the 80 that took 3 days. I will dring the 91 home solo which is almost a 600 mile trip so by the time i get home I will be Hopfully qualified in the wif's eyes to be tie TAXI driver for her.
I don't know why I am running off at the mouth about this, I guess it is because i am on a short leash and can't even go into the garage and install a new speedo cable or go to the bike shop and pick up the tack cable I ordered :whistling: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: so much for rambling :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

toytender01":2750hc9i said:
I Know how the mixed feelings are...I am mixed about getting tid of my 80 as I kneed the funds for a 91 1500I that belonged to my brother- in- law. We used to ride togather when he would come to visit. Spent many miles enjoying the California foothills. So when he passed and no one in the family wanted the bike, I coulden't let some stranger git the deal so I told my sister I would take it. That means the 1100 has to go in order to finance the deal. Now I have owned a 79 Interstate that I liked very much and let it go and was very sad to see it go. I turnde all my attention to the dirt bikes and still longed for the road...Finaly 2 years ago I made a very bad trade for the 80....I gave a 95 Ford F 350 Super cab dually for it. Now the truck was worth 3 times the bike, The truck was replaced earlier with a 99 F-350 super cab 4X4 and I diden't need 2 trucks, was always having people asking to borrow it so had to keep it insured asn registered and gased. You know people who borrow things that require gas never seam to put gas back in and arenot careful with them, so it was costing a lot to keep a loaner. so I saved a bungh of mony there (Back to the subject) Any way We swapped titles and were both happy. Put a lit of miles on the 80 and love tinkering with it still "BUT" in this case I have backup actually 2 backups.
I habe 2 82 1100I's One near running and the other has become a parts bike. So still into the classics. Now about the 91, while I was in Oregon working on my sisters place I took many short rides trrough the countryside and have fallen in love with the bike. Will be good for the wife and i to do some touring. The first trip will be solo as the wife and I have always agreed that NO passenger should be carried on a new bipe untill the driver has 500 miles experience on the new bike. For the 80 that took 3 days. I will dring the 91 home solo which is almost a 600 mile trip so by the time i get home I will be Hopfully qualified in the wif's eyes to be tie TAXI driver for her.
I don't know why I am running off at the mouth about this, I guess it is because i am on a short leash and can't even go into the garage and install a new speedo cable or go to the bike shop and pick up the tack cable I ordered :whistling: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: so much for rambling :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Ha ha ..I glad I'm not the only one...ha ha

Congrats on the new wheels!! :clapping: :clapping: Sux ya had to swap the 'Wing, but...ya gotta do what ya gotta do!. It IS sweeet looking!

Sorry Flinx diden't mean to step all over your post I can,t p-- so i guess i just let the c--p flow out the other end after I posted and read it I realized what poor tast it was pleas forgive me I think i must hace seperation angzity or somethins like that :head bang: :doh: :oops: :oops:

Nice looking Bike , but....... I hate Car/Truck/Motor Cycle/ Payments , thats why everything I have is Old..... :smilie_happy:

toytender01":c46kzwwq said:
Sorry Flinx diden't mean to step all over your post I can,t p-- so i guess i just let the c--p flow out the other end after I posted and read it I realized what poor tast it was pleas forgive me I think i must hace seperation angzity or somethins like that :head bang: :doh: :oops: :oops:

Thats just fine I enjoyed the read, I truly did. Brought back some memories of my brother while reading it and for that I thank you. :thank_you:
Funny isn't how someone talking about a departed loved one can lead you to remember the good times with your family or friends that have left us for a better place.

@ Slabghost and Sledge, I'm allergic to them payments too, thats why I pay for my toys in full. If I had financed this new toy I'd have paid a bit more then $4,300.00 in interest, thats just plain crazy if you ask me. I won't even own a credit card..... :smilie_happy:

@littlebeaver please do write it up, I'd read it. I'm not leaving just not going to be here as much, lots to learn about the new bike. Almost bought a Nomad but the feel just wasn't there if you know what I mean.

@Joedrum and AAple if I could have I would have kept my Wing but I just don't have the room for anything more and the trade in value let me afford a few trinkets for the new bike.... ;)

We had recently moved to Jeffereson City Mo. from Radcliff Kentucky it was some 12 years since I rode a motorcycle, Chicago, was the last place I own one, we had our first child and I sold my 750 kawa, I drooled on all the bikes riding by on the Interstate for years after, constantly talking about my 750 and having friends back home riding their Harley's I felt left out or something was missing...One day my wife and I stopped by a local shop, I about died when I saw this 1500 Goldwing [95]I think it was, white in color..My wife saw how much I liked it and decided it was a long time waiting, and she bought it, and we signed all the papers and I brought it home, Well, I was at the kitchen table reading through everything an I notice on the title the mileage of the bike, the hand written milage and the milage on the front of the title by the DMV didn't jive with the milage on the back of the title....the hand written milage, now how could the miles be off 2300 miles, that's what the difference was, and the hand written one was Less...We didn't catch that at the signing because I didn't think to...I checked the milage on the bike and it jived with the hand written one...I got upset really upset, I finally get the bike of my dreams and I cannot registor the bike now because of the discripance on the milage...I chewed out the sales manager and the owner something terrible, No way they would pass that at registation office no way not in Missouri...My wife and I were both upset about it, I got the name of the previous owner and asked him about the mile discripency, he said, Oh the lady at the DMV messed up it would have taken forever to get a new one so we didn't, he said ah just put the title in your bag and ride it man.. Well, I'm steaming mad now, the way it looks is the miles were rolled back somehow, [unlikely] or the man was just lazy and didn't ever have it fixed proper.. So we took the title back and my wife said, get the title fixed and if you can't your buyng this bike back..She gave them two weeks..Guess what..They ended up buying the bike back, and they lost the whole deal because the title didn't get fixed and in the State of Mo. any discripancy on a title means the title is void.. :crying: .So..I'm out a bike..Well, a few weeks went by and I went to a shop in Colombia Mo. and I saw this black Nomad, it was justa shiney pretty thing, $13k for it, this was in Nov of 03, I liked it, it looked like a Harley Roadking, we saw those too but the guy's were kinda rude to me there, and showed no interest in selling us a cycle, but I would stop by this shop anytime we went to Coloumbia, a few of months went by, and it was Feb.12 I went to Co. to get the wife some Candy for Valentines day at one of those Russell Stovers places, and I stopped to see the Nomad again, Oh man, they dropped the price $2.600 because the year had changed...I called the wife and told her of this and I was all excited like a child, I said can we go see it this weekend, she said maybe...Well, I had to have this bike, ya know,, I had to have it..and especially after the Goldwing thing, Well Sat. comes and we go to see it, as we walked in and up to the bike, there was was a sold sign on it and cute little Valentines day signs all over it, I was pissed :rant: , they went and sold my bike, the bike of my dreams and that dealer guy MJ sold it and he knew how much I wanted it, SOB. :rant: .. I called for him and he walked up and said , man I'm so sorry about that we sold it just after you left that day, I gave him a look as if I were going to smack him right there in his shop that's when he raised his hand with the key and waved it in front of me, and he said how do you like your new ride Martin...Oh -hit man no way, I got loud with happiness and the wife just laughed and my two girls were dying laughing because they knew what was happening and kept a secret, See, she called them right after I called her that day and she told me she had to work late, she went over and did all the paper work, and they planned this surprise for me special, I got had that day..But in a good way...I love my Wife..Here's my Nomad just after I got it, I think...She's the best..View attachment 1 :smilie_happy:

It is too bad you couldn't keep the wing, but you can only ride one bike at a time. Keeping the bride happy is key, so getting a new toy with her blessings and on her suggestion, you made out better than most. Good luck and enjoy! Less tinkering means more riding. :good: